Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Trade in my 04 TJ Rubi on 33s for a JK 4door Rubi

So my TJ Rubi is almost paid off and I am thinking of trading it in for a new JK 4 door. I owe less on the TJ than they are offering me on trade. The TJ is paid off in about 6 months.

There are some pretty good incentives right now and I would be getting a good deal on the trade.

Things I am thinking about.

How capable is a stock 4 door JK Rubicon versus my Lifted TJ Rubi on 33s. Since the JK comes with 32s stock and has better approach and departure angles it should be about the same IMO, other than the break over angle would be slightly worse (running stock skid aka shovel on my TJ still)

How expensive would it be to put 35s (thinking with a 2.5 lift) on the JK over the next year. Would Like to go to Moab next year with a group of local wheelers. Some are lifted XJs on 31-32s and a Lifted Toyota Surf (4 runner) on 33s

Is a 4door JK rubicon a better DD than my TJ as it sits.

Is the payments over the next 5 years worth having a bumper to bumper warranty for the next 3 and power train for 5, vs having a ticking time bomb as it sits right now.

I have spent alot of money on maintenance lately and I know there is more down the line (starter, rear axle bearings need to be done for one). I have been doing most of the repairs myself with the help of some friends but it still costs money to buy the parts. Some of the stuff has been easy to do but I have run into situations where I had to pay alot of money for a shop to do work for me.

I am 28 and working on moving out into a apartment and not sure ill be able to afford a DD and my TJ once the TJ is paid off due to insurance, maintenance storage and repairs on both a DD and a 7 year old TJ. And I am not sure I would be happy with a TJ DD.

I require my vehicle for work as I am often on call and get called into work sometimes to do work after hours etc.

I would like to be able to take road trips without stuff breaking down on the side of the road (hasnt happened yet).

I am hoping someone else has been in a similar situation or some some wisdom or advice they want to share.

Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
So my TJ Rubi is almost paid off and I am thinking of trading it in for a new JK 4 door. I owe less on the TJ than they are offering me on trade. The TJ is paid off in about 6 months.

There are some pretty good incentives right now and I would be getting a good deal on the trade.

Things I am thinking about.

How capable is a stock 4 door JK Rubicon versus my Lifted TJ Rubi on 33s. Since the JK comes with 32s stock and has better approach and departure angles it should be about the same IMO, other than the break over angle would be slightly worse (running stock skid aka shovel on my TJ still)

How expensive would it be to put 35s (thinking with a 2.5 lift) on the JK over the next year. Would Like to go to Moab next year with a group of local wheelers. Some are lifted XJs on 31-32s and a Lifted Toyota Surf (4 runner) on 33s

Is a 4door JK rubicon a better DD than my TJ as it sits.

Is the payments over the next 5 years worth having a bumper to bumper warranty for the next 3 and power train for 5, vs having a ticking time bomb as it sits right now.

I have spent alot of money on maintenance lately and I know there is more down the line (starter, rear axle bearings need to be done for one). I have been doing most of the repairs myself with the help of some friends but it still costs money to buy the parts. Some of the stuff has been easy to do but I have run into situations where I had to pay alot of money for a shop to do work for me.

I am 28 and working on moving out into a apartment and not sure ill be able to afford a DD and my TJ once the TJ is paid off due to insurance, maintenance storage and repairs on both a DD and a 7 year old TJ. And I am not sure I would be happy with a TJ DD.

I require my vehicle for work as I am often on call and get called into work sometimes to do work after hours etc.

I would like to be able to take road trips without stuff breaking down on the side of the road (hasnt happened yet).

I am hoping someone else has been in a similar situation or some some wisdom or advice they want to share.
In my opinion I would not make that trade, or at least not make the trade in.
I currently own a 1998 TJ with many mods, its paid off and I do my own maintenance on the vehicle.

Trading in your Rubi are they giving you close to 10K on the trade? because you can sell it out yourself for about that price. Don't forget the dealer wants to make a good profit on both the selling vehicle and the trade in vehicle. Out here in California the dealers use a code that tells them what they are actually giving on the trade. It is BLACKHORSE and each letter pertains to a number, like B=1, L=2, A=3 etc. and usually put the letters on the bottom of the contract (when you ask them what the letters are they say they are nothing).

The "bumper to bumper" warranty is not all that, read the fine print. Most warranties only cover the motor train (sorry sir the brakes are not covered under the warranty). When you need repairs under warranty the stealership will try to band-aid the problem with the lowest cost to them, make excuses, and try to put the blame on you as to not cover it under warranty (like you modified the vehicle). You will still have maintenance on your vehicle. And don't purchase the extended warranty.

The JKs use a minivan engine. These I do not like (personal preference) with a wider body. There are many new mods that are coming out for the JK and you will have to include the cost of the mods to your total cost of the vehicle (not just the price tag).

You will also have to look at the cost of the vehicle + the cost of the new apartment.

I would not make that deal....
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your opinion above, i will take it into consideration.

Considering my jeep is modified they are only offering me 8200 due to the laws here they cant really safety it and resell it so they have to sell it to another used car dealer to try to fix up and make legal again. And I can only imagine how hard it would be to sell a lifted TJ the way it sits, probably would end up back to 8200 after I fixed everything that might need to be changed.

one thing I didnt include is that recently there has been a HUGE crack down on modified vehicles. As it sits with 33s, a 3.25 suspension, and a 1.25 body lift my jeep is illegal.

If I get pulled in for inspection I have 15 days to fix it or the insurance is pulled.

This would mean I would have to get spacers, or different rims to make my track width wider, new fender flares to now cover the tires that stick out, and a set of mud flaps. And this is only the stuff I know for sure is illegal, they also check for maintenance items, leaks, worn out parts etc.

I could build a 4door JK with 35s to be street legal here due to the laws of track width vs frame/body height.

I had my experience with jeep warranty on this Jeep, and actually found them to be quite reasonable overall, I had tones of stuff warrantied even after my TJ had been lifted.

I am very aware of wear and tear items like brakes aren't covered, and I would continue to do maintenance like that myself.
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
JustJeepin85
2005 TJ Wrangler 

just gonna say you dunno if you could afford a apartment and DD and your paid off Tj, but you think apartment and JK is going to save you that much?

i say keep the TJ and just drive a gas getter something cheap it doesnt have to be new, just dependable...

ill be getting a scion as soon as im well set in my big boy job, ie half student loans are paid lol
JustJeepin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
In my opinion I would not make that trade, or at least not make the trade in.
I currently own a 1998 TJ with many mods, its paid off and I do my own maintenance on the vehicle.

Trading in your Rubi are they giving you close to 10K on the trade? because you can sell it out yourself for about that price. Don't forget the dealer wants to make a good profit on both the selling vehicle and the trade in vehicle. Out here in California the dealers use a code that tells them what they are actually giving on the trade. It is BLACKHORSE and each letter pertains to a number, like B=1, L=2, A=3 etc. and usually put the letters on the bottom of the contract (when you ask them what the letters are they say they are nothing).

The "bumper to bumper" warranty is not all that, read the fine print. Most warranties only cover the motor train (sorry sir the brakes are not covered under the warranty). When you need repairs under warranty the stealership will try to band-aid the problem with the lowest cost to them, make excuses, and try to put the blame on you as to not cover it under warranty (like you modified the vehicle). You will still have maintenance on your vehicle. And don't purchase the extended warranty.

The JKs use a minivan engine. These I do not like (personal preference) with a wider body. There are many new mods that are coming out for the JK and you will have to include the cost of the mods to your total cost of the vehicle (not just the price tag).

You will also have to look at the cost of the vehicle + the cost of the new apartment.

I would not make that deal....

you DO realize the "minivan" motor puts out MORE horsepower and MORE torque right?

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
rcking323
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
you DO realize the "minivan" motor puts out MORE horsepower and MORE torque right?
True, but it puts all that out in a very uneven pattern, to get that better torque and HP you need to be pretty high on the RPM, which when crawling, you usually arnt. More so, the JKs weigh a heck of a lot more, so power to weight is still much less
rcking323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Boonking
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they're really lowballing you on your Rubi. Sell it outright and get some decent money for it. Sold my last 2 Jeeps here in days. Seriously I'd buy it for $8200!
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well the salesmen found me one here in the city.

Silver,
Leather,
Dualtop
Auto Climate control
6spd
Uconnect

They found it at another dealer they just gotta PDI it and then its all mine, Ill be taking out my stereo and stuff from my TJ tomorrow and I should be able to pick up my new JK on Monday or Tuesday.

Also I may have a side deal on the TJ, that might get me some extra cash instead of trading it in, but I told the person show me the money!
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sell your TJ on Craigslist then go out and buy a Honda. Why get in debt again for another 6 years? Jeeps have horrible MPG. You don't want to drive it as a DD, and you can't afford two cars hence sell the TJ and buy a 2005 Honda SI Hatchback or a Honda S2000.
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion above, i will take it into consideration.

Considering my jeep is modified they are only offering me 8200 due to the laws here they cant really safety it and resell it so they have to sell it to another used car dealer to try to fix up and make legal again. And I can only imagine how hard it would be to sell a lifted TJ the way it sits, probably would end up back to 8200 after I fixed everything that might need to be changed.

one thing I didnt include is that recently there has been a HUGE crack down on modified vehicles. As it sits with 33s, a 3.25 suspension, and a 1.25 body lift my jeep is illegal.

If I get pulled in for inspection I have 15 days to fix it or the insurance is pulled.

This would mean I would have to get spacers, or different rims to make my track width wider, new fender flares to now cover the tires that stick out, and a set of mud flaps. And this is only the stuff I know for sure is illegal, they also check for maintenance items, leaks, worn out parts etc.

I could build a 4door JK with 35s to be street legal here due to the laws of track width vs frame/body height.

I had my experience with jeep warranty on this Jeep, and actually found them to be quite reasonable overall, I had tones of stuff warrantied even after my TJ had been lifted.

I am very aware of wear and tear items like brakes aren't covered, and I would continue to do maintenance like that myself.
They are low balling you...

Find out what you have to do to make your vehicle street safe as required by law. Seems like they have some strange laws up there. Your Jeep would be plenty legal down here in California.

Maybe you can also let us all know what the height/weight requirements are up there in Canada
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
And BURN OUT twice as fast (and I am not talking about tire burn out).

The I6 has been around for many years for a reason. The minivan V6 (3.8L) got changed because of the higher SMOG requirements that the feds put in place.

Two engines of the same HP can have different amounts of torque, depending on things like the diameter of the cylinder bores and the length of the piston stroke, stuff like that. HP is relevant, but the amount of torque being applied to the drive wheels is more important. Note that it states the amount being applied. I say that because you can in effect apply more torque by shifting to a lower gear.

There is much discussion on this topic that goes both ways

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/3...62/index2.html
Unread 05-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
diver110
2009 WK 

Unless a vehicle is at the end of its lifespan, it is almost always cheaper to keep what you have then trade (though I once had a Volvo that after 100,000 miles got so expensive to maintain, that selling made sense). If I was going to buy new, I would, as others have said, sell yours on Craiglist. But I would also wait for the 2012 and the new motor which gets better mpg.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well the salesmen found me one here in the city.

Silver,
Leather,
Dualtop
Auto Climate control
6spd
Uconnect

They found it at another dealer they just gotta PDI it and then its all mine, Ill be taking out my stereo and stuff from my TJ tomorrow and I should be able to pick up my new JK on Monday or Tuesday.

Also I may have a side deal on the TJ, that might get me some extra cash instead of trading it in, but I told the person show me the money!
Sounds like a nice upgrade, and smart move to get the dual top package.

I'd also do anything I could not to trade-in your TJ. Hope it works out.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

As of 5pm yesterday

As of 9pm yesterday

Yup 4x4 works
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
Hristo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I too have an 04 rubicon on 33's. If you are wondering how your are going to afford fixing it etc, and an apartment, how are you going to afford the monthly payments on a JK?

I don't know about yours but my Jeep has been extremely reliable as a DD and I drive it 70km every work day. In the 9 months I've had it, the biggest job I've had to do was replacing an O2 sensor.

I've also taken on 5 hour road trips with no issues. It's not as good on gas or as fast as our Mini, but it's sure a lot better for camping when we arrive .

It depends on what you need/want your vehicle for, but I don't think you need to be overly concerned about your Jeep breaking down yet. If money is your main concern I'd stay with the vehicle that is paid off. It's so nice not to have to make payments.

I don't have a ton of experience in JK's but I do know they aren't for me. Your mileage may vary.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.