JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Trade LJ for 2011 JKU? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/trade-lj-2011-jku-1568757/)

FleshEater 08-29-2013 12:59 PM

Trade LJ for 2011 JKU?

I love my LJ, but it's got issues that I'm just tired of dealing with. Front driveshaft needs replaced, there's the OPDA ordeal, it knocks in cold weather like a gnome with a hammer in the block, it vibrates irratically for a reason I can't find (everythng's tight), and just today it kept losing power with a light flashing (pre-cats or main cat, or 02 sensor). My wife is always *****ing about me working on it, so that's a bummer.

Anyways, needless to say I've been considering trading it in.

I stopped at a VW dealer and found this http://www.mikanvw.com/VehicleDetail...-PA/2055939363 and they offered me $13,000 for the LJ.

What do you guys think?

Also, my wife is about to have another child, which means two boys for this guy.

LoneStarGecko 08-30-2013 07:18 PM

Depends on your financial situation and if your LJ is paid off already.
Many people will say that having a vehicle "free and clear" is better, but I don't mind our payments.
Yes, "payments". We have a 2011 JKU and LOVE it! SO much so that I bought myself a 2012 JK :2thumbsup: .
Now we each use them for our daily commuters.
We also recently bought the son a 2000 TJ Sahara. Nice too, but I prefer my JK.
So if your LJ is free and clear, then a 13K trade-in value is pretty good. Leaves you about $11K plus TTL.
Considering that the JKU is a stick shift, the dealer will have a more limited buyer pool. Most buyers (esp of a 4 door) prefer an auto.
I would try to get the JKU for $10K out the door.
We initially bought our JKU because of the 4 doors for friends and family that come to visit. It is a terrific family hauler with style.
Personally, I say "go for it".
The 2011 got the interior remake and uses the 3.8L V6. Your fuel economy "should" be a little better than your LJ to boot.

FleshEater 08-30-2013 09:33 PM

I actually decided against going that route. They were firm on the JKU price, and a new one is only $4,500 more. However, after much debate, I think I'm going to order a Rubicon. Commando Green is too hard to pass up.

I'll be selling the LJ myself.

P.S. After driving a new JKU today, I'm sold.

One question, are all the clutches on the new JK's almost non-existent? Meaning super, super easy to push in and let out?

LoneStarGecko 08-30-2013 09:39 PM

^^ yeap :) mine sure is.
You made a wise choice, very doubtful that you will regret it.

FleshEater 08-30-2013 09:42 PM

I don't think I will either. I'm liking the information I'm finding on both the 3.8 and 3.6 for reliability. Friends of ours have an 08 JKU with 70,000 miles and haven't had a single issue. The "bullet proof" 4.0 in the LJ is a real let down.

blackjeep05 08-30-2013 09:46 PM

Not sure I would sell the LJ but, if you really like the JKU then you have to do what makes you happy at the end of the day. I was much like you when my tranny needed a rebuild on my LJ but, after driving an JKU yea its nice and smooth but, it don't feel like a Jeep and it rattles almost over every bump. Not knocking JK's but, they are super cheap body panels inside and out. Just my two. Plus the LJ'S are getting rare and hard to find in great shape as well. JKU'S are all over the place. Kids,Moms,Dads have them.

blackjeep05 08-30-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleshEater (Post 15855899)
I don't think I will either. I'm liking the information I'm finding on both the 3.8 and 3.6 for reliability. Friends of ours have an 08 JKU with 70,000 miles and haven't had a single issue. The "bullet proof" 4.0 in the LJ is a real let down.

3.8L is a much better engine overall longterm than the 3.6L for V6's on Jeeps. Not knocking the 3.6L but, its not all bad *** like everyone makes it. Yea it has power but, can it stay in a pile for 200k? That is the question.

LoneStarGecko 08-30-2013 09:48 PM

Our 2011 JKU has 62K plus without an issue (knock on wood).
My 2012, on the other hand, already had a broken main drive shaft :eek: !
No lie. Lets hope it was just a fluke. Looked like bad metal forge in the center.
Otherwise, loving them both.

FleshEater 08-30-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackjeep05 (Post 15855915)
Not sure I would sell the LJ but, if you really like the JKU then you have to do what makes you happy at the end of the day. I was much like you when my tranny needed a rebuild on my LJ but, after driving an JKU yea its nice and smooth but, it don't feel like a Jeep and it rattles almost over every bump. Not knocking JK's but, they are super cheap body panels inside and out. Just my two. Plus the LJ'S are getting rare and hard to find in great shape as well. JKU'S are all over the place. Kids,Moms,Dads have them.

This is true, but all I do is work on the LJ. Not exactly what I call fun. Especially since right now all I have is the good ol' fashioned limestone garage err...I mean driveway.

My LJ is spotless in terms of body and frame. And, I know they're hard to find, bt it's going to suck strapping a 3 year old in a car seat along with a baby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackjeep05 (Post 15855917)
3.8L is a much better engine overall longterm than the 3.6L for V6's on Jeeps. Not knocking the 3.6L but, its not all bad *** like everyone makes it. Yea it has power but, can it stay in a pile for 200k? That is the question.

Probably safe to say it's too soon to tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneStarGecko (Post 15855919)
Our 2011 JKU has 62K plus without an issue (knock on wood).
My 2012, on the other hand, already had a broken main drive shaft :eek: !
No lie. Lets hope it was just a fluke. Looked like bad metal forge in the center.
Otherwise, loving them both.

Drive shaft? That's easy. Unless you're referring to something else, like motor related.

Butterjeep 08-31-2013 06:27 AM

Both the 3.8 and 3.6 are solid motors. The 3.6 just makes more power.

horaceunit 08-31-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleshEater (Post 15855874)
I actually decided against going that route. They were firm on the JKU price, and a new one is only $4,500 more. However, after much debate, I think I'm going to order a Rubicon. Commando Green is too hard to pass up.

I'll be selling the LJ myself.

P.S. After driving a new JKU today, I'm sold.

One question, are all the clutches on the new JK's almost non-existent? Meaning super, super easy to push in and let out?

I just got a 2013 JK and I noticed the same thing about the clutch. Compared to the one in my old TJ I at first thought there was something wrong with the clutch! Seems like that is just the way it is- somewhat more "car-like" than most of the truck clutches I am used to. Once you get used to it you will like it! Haven't wheeled it yet though :confused:

horaceunit 08-31-2013 06:41 AM

To the OP- From everything I have heard I would probably see what I could come up with in a 2013 that a dealer might be willing to part with at a good price now that the 2014's are out. I drove a couple of used Jeeps in the 2009-2011 time frame and the 2013 is in a different class. Finally decided to get the new one and spend the extra $ because the newer Pentastar (spelling?) engine seems that much better. I understand your situation with kids, etc.- not to mention I miss my TJ!!!!!!!

FleshEater 08-31-2013 07:34 AM

Yeah, I don't know. I've never owned a new new vehicle, so I figure, "Why not get what I want?" I'm really set on a Commando Green Rubi. :cool:

horaceunit 08-31-2013 10:30 AM

Well in truth I settled big time for what I got. My Sport has Manual, and A/C and that is it! I liked the commando green and the gecko colors, and third choice would have been Red. I ended up with a Billet Metallic (silver) that I originally thought was OK, but the wife thought was the best color. Anyway, it was the only one that was as stripped as I wanted, so that was what I went with. The color has actually grown on me, especially after I saw how little dirt and road grime shows up on it.

I would have jumped on a Rubicon in any color, but it was way out of my budget. I had picked up a TJ about two years ago, but unfortunately it was a 4 banger without A/C, and I came close to keeping it and putting more $ and effort into it. In the end I figured an engine swap was not going to happen, and I just couldn't stay with the 4 cyl without A/C :nono: So the idea became to get a newer used one and keep it long term and do what I wanted to it over time. Once I realized I could get a stripped (I wanted a manual anyway) new Sport for just 2-4,000 more that what I was seeing 2-4 year old used ones go for I finally pulled the trigger on a 2013.

I won't be doing anything major to it until it is paid off, but I figure I will be keeping this one for a long time, so I can wait on the big stuff for a few years (4 year loan). Hey, you have a Jeep, you get to keep your Man card! I just figure you get extra points on it the more you mod! :2thumbsup:

ryanryan03 08-31-2013 11:43 AM

Can you keep the LJ (due to it's rareness) and then buy the Rubi?

The time now is 06:58 PM.