Towing TJ with car dolly - issues? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Towing TJ with car dolly - issues?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
TJTom00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got it home safely!

Her: '06 Liberty Sport Special Edition, Black, Auto, all stock
TJTom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it home. Now prepare to really open your wallet. Purchase price is usually just a beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTom00 View Post
...I was going to go with a trailer... I was just a little nervous about pulling one because it would be my first time pulling a full-size car trailer...
For anyone that finds this thread later, there are some things to consider when deciding between a trailer and a tow dolly.

The trailer does not require the drive shaft be removed.
The trailer puts more weight on the hitch than the dolly.
The trailer is much easier to back up than a dolly.
The trailer will usually require some type of loading ramp.
The trailer will require more in the way of tie-down straps/chains.
Over-sized tires can make a rig too wide for many trailers and the tires may be too big for the dolly tie-down straps. Both of these problems can be avoided by finding a set of smaller wheels/tires.

Overall, as long as I have a proper tow rig, I'd use a trailer.
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
Adam013085

I towed my 79 CJ7 with the narrow track axles and 35" tires without it being too wide(using the Uhaul trailer). Granted the CJ7 with narrow track is a little more narrow than a TJ, I would think a TJ with 35s would fit. I had quite a bit of extra room on each side of the tire.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good looking Jeep I like the color and like MDM said...... It's time to spend money.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.