Towing TJ with car dolly - issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Towing TJ with car dolly - issues?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
TJTom00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Towing TJ with car dolly - issues?

I am about to pickup a 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition after a year and 4 months of not having a Jeep (sold my 2000 TJ in December 2011 after 11 years). It's about 120 miles away and I can't find anyone to take me there so that I could drive it home. I have an '05 Ram 1500 that will be the tow vehicle. I've used a tow dolly before, but with a front wheel drive car. Is it as simple as loading it onto the dolly, putting the T-case in neutral, and putting the trans in gear (read that in my Ram manual)? Any issues of it fitting, or tying it down? Any suggestions are welcome. I want to get this home safely, drop it from the trailer, and finally drive a TJ again! Good thing is the wife is as excited as me. Thanks!

Her: '06 Liberty Sport Special Edition, Black, Auto, all stock
TJTom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Not knowing the condition of any of the internals (trans or transfer case) I would unbolt the rear driveshaft at the axle, and secure or pull the driveshaft.
Yucca-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the military and have moved with my jeep on the full dolly all over the country. It's not much more from u-haul to get the full dual axle dolly that guarantee's you won't have any problems. If the single axle dolly is your only option I would defiantly remove the rear driveshaft just to be sure though.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
bobjp

Yes, it's as simple as you said. No issues with fitment or tie down. Pulling the driveshaft is a 5 minute job if you're uncomfortable about it.
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pull driveshaft. Jeep says if you use a tow dolly it will cause internal failure in the t-case. In neutral the case will still have the front and rear locked together so theoretically when you start to drive both sets of wheels will want to rotate. Unless you remove one of the drive shafts, the rear is easiest.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I towed an XJ on a U-Haul dolly from the east coast of Maryland to Ohio with no problems. I removed the rear driveshaft and put a trash bag over the tailshaft housing just in case it leaked and had no issues. I used my girlfriends Dakota and it did fine. The only real problem I had was trying to release the wheel straps when I got it home, but it was my fault the way I routed the straps.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTom00 View Post
...I can't find anyone to take me there so that I could drive it home... the wife is as excited as me...
Stupid question time, why doesn't the excited wife drive you there?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
TJTom00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I'll be pulling the driveshaft, or upgrading to a full trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Stupid question time, why doesn't the excited wife drive you there?
A couple reasons: 1) she has a harder time getting the time off work, especially on short notice. 2) the other reason is a longer story, but she's not comfortable driving somewhere that she doesn't know her way around, and probably more than half the trip is on somewhat meandering tow-lane state highways. She would be anxious about getting lost if we were to get separated. Not a big deal for me, I've learned to live with it. I'm am just thrilled that she loves the Jeep, so I'll take that over the inconvenience of doing it myself.

Unread 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
TJTom00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgnarw View Post
I towed an XJ on a U-Haul dolly from the east coast of Maryland to Ohio with no problems. I removed the rear driveshaft and put a trash bag over the tailshaft housing just in case it leaked and had no issues. I used my girlfriends Dakota and it did fine. The only real problem I had was trying to release the wheel straps when I got it home, but it was my fault the way I routed the straps.
Glad to hear you had no issues. I'm going from Sandusky to Columbus, so not really that far.

Another quick question: I never pulled the rear driveshaft when I had my 2000 TJ, and I've read that I may have to cut a clamp on a boot where it goes into the t-case. Is this so, and what is the best way to replace the clamp (zip tie, host clamp)? I assume that the XJ and TJ setup is pretty much the same.

Unread 03-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Adam013085

Ever thought about renting a car 1 way? That can't be much more (if any) than renting a uhaul dolly and the decrease in MPG while pulling the Jeep. But like it was mentioned before you may as well get a car hauler because its not much more than the dolly.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
JStrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

take the bus?
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
TJTom00
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
Ever thought about renting a car 1 way? That can't be much more (if any) than renting a uhaul dolly and the decrease in MPG while pulling the Jeep. But like it was mentioned before you may as well get a car hauler because its not much more than the dolly.
Well, things have change since my last post. But, to answer your questions: yes, I was going to go with a trailer, as it is only $10 more and no need to wrench on the Jeep in the street. I was just a little nervous about pulling one because it would be my first time pulling a full-size car trailer. Also, I looked into renting a car one way (which I think is a great idea), but the two places I checked (Hertz and Enterprise) seemed as though the only place where you could drop the one-way rental was near the airport, which in this case would have been Cleveland. Then I was concerned about how would get from there to the Jeep, although there are always cabs. I'll admit I didn't totally vet that out, because I figured I'd go the towing route. The situation I have is that this is an older fellow selling the Jeep for his son, who is out of the country for work. I figured he wouldn't be too keen on coming to pick me up, but I never asked so I'll never know (just kinda get that feeling).

But, as it turns out my brother was able to come through for me. He had a test scheduled for tomorrow, but he cancelled it. I get to drive the Jeep home, which is awesome.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It is much appreciated.

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear. Post pictures when you get it home.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
Pull driveshaft. Jeep says if you use a tow dolly it will cause internal failure in the t-case. In neutral the case will still have the front and rear locked together so theoretically when you start to drive both sets of wheels will want to rotate. Unless you remove one of the drive shafts, the rear is easiest.
Sorry, I need to correct this. 1995+ NP231J transfer cases do not lock the front and rear drive shafts together in neutral.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLJ

Sorry, I need to correct this. 1995+ NP231J transfer cases do not lock the front and rear drive shafts together in neutral.
Just regurgitating what I was told by Jeep.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.