towing package - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > towing package

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
neginf

towing package

Heard that Wranglers without towing packages didn't have them because they were not as mechanically suited for towing as the ones with tow packages.

1. Is that right ?
2. If so, what is different about them besides the tow package ?

neginf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
lwow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

bigger radiator, wiring & hitch to start, maybe rear springs too.
70 Scout 800 SR2 sv304
lwow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not true in TJs, though I can't say to YJs or JKs. Which are you asking about?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
neginf

TJs.
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't believe the TJ had a factory tow package. Some dealers would install a hitch and wiring harness and list it as a "tow package". I've seen "tow packages" on TJs with all combinations of gearing, transmissions, wheel/tire size, and differentials. Most of them were on rigs with 30" tires and 3.73 gears. I don't remember seeing it on an SE.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
I don't believe the TJ had a factory tow package. Some dealers would install a hitch and wiring harness and list it as a "tow package".
I can't say where it was installed, but it was on my factory build sheet and as said, all it was was hitch and wiring harness.

Either way, to answer the original question, then, no, there is nothing mechanically different on TJs with the towing vs. those without.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
joechrom

Towed Snowmobiles from CT to VT with stick shift 88 YJ and 99 TJ. It took me 2 jeeps and 4 transmissions to realize stick shifts can't stay cool enough to tow. Now I'm rolling in an 05 LWB with an Automatic Transmission. I believe it came with the "tow package" as it has Mopar Factory Hitch, Wiring, 30" tires and 3:73 gears. Hope this jeep does a better than my past two!
joechrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've bought the tow package on every new car I've ever bought. My grandfather clued me in with his '6x Coronet. Usually includes a bigger alternator, Sometimes bigger brakes and always has supplemental cooling for the tranny, steering and sometimes oil.

Funny though, the '12 wrangler tow group only lists a plug and sway control????
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
I've bought the tow package on every new car I've ever bought. My grandfather clued me in with his '6x Coronet. Usually includes a bigger alternator, Sometimes bigger brakes and always has supplemental cooling for the tranny, steering and sometimes oil.

Funny though, the '12 wrangler tow group only lists a plug and sway control????
Funny how "always" definitely doesn't include TJs and perhaps JKs, then, huh?

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For the TJ:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
.a bigger alternator.
No
Quote:
...bigger brakes...
No
Quote:
...supplemental cooling for the tranny...
No
Quote:
...steering...
No
Quote:
...oil...
And again - No

Oh well. As the Bosun said, so much for always, sometimes, and usually.
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
lazerpunk

All 2012 JK Wranglers with automatic transmission have a Trans cooler.
The "Max Tow Package" on the 2012 Unlimited Wranglers adds a Hitch receiver and a 4 wire trailer plug. It also has "Anti Sway" programming included in the ESC programming

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, Crush, Auto, Dual Top, 430N w/nav, Max Tow
lazerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerpunk View Post
All 2012 JK Wranglers with automatic transmission have a Trans cooler.
The "Max Tow Package" on the 2012 Unlimited Wranglers adds a Hitch receiver and a 4 wire trailer plug. It also has "Anti Sway" programming included in the ESC programming
I thought that was true of the 2 door '12s w/ a tow package also?
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
lazerpunk

I can't speak of the 2dr. I didn't look at them to be sure if they have trans. cooler or not.

The tow package for the four door is called "Max Tow" package. The two door is just "Tow" package. Not sure what the difference is.

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, Crush, Auto, Dual Top, 430N w/nav, Max Tow
lazerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess the '12 Wrangler tow package only includes 3 things,
a plug
a sway package
and a prayer that you never tow anything larger than a bicycle trailer.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
neginf

I was hoping to tow about 2700 pounds up and down a ramp and for short distances at slow speeds - 2 or 3 miles at 25 to 30 miles per hour.

Is that unsafe in a regular TJ or is an Unlimited needed ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.