TJ vs YJ for my build, and how far can you go with a street legal Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs YJ for my build, and how far can you go with a street legal Jeep?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
JoeLink

TJ vs YJ for my build, and how far can you go with a street legal Jeep?

This question is probably better suited for Pirate, but I'm going to post it here as well.

I have a very nice Scout 2 which I'm considering replacing with a more capable rig. I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should start with a YJ or TJ, and how far I can take it before it can no longer fulfill the Scout's mall crawling duties. My plans for the Jeep include 38-42" tires, comp cut fenders, D60/14B axles, stretching the WB, and links. One challenge I see is most of the Jeeps built this way are dedicated trail rigs, and I want to keep this street legal with seating for four. I'd also like to retain the A/C (if I can find one with it) and the option of running a hard top. When/where is the decision made that one is going to sacrifice street driving for capability on the rocks? If you have specific examples you could post, it'd help.

My second dilemma is whether I should start with a $2500 YJ or a $5000 TJ. The TJ would be much more comfortable to own and drive while I collected parts and built it, but $2500 is $2500 and that would go a long way with the YJ. I don't have a ton of money so that will slow the progress a bit. Any good reason to go with one over the other, considering my plans?

Last edited by JoeLink; 09-23-2013 at 12:42 AM..
JoeLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You're probably better off asking in a local forum as what is street legal will vary materially state to state. Here in NY nothing about what you listed sounds like it would stop you from getting it registered. Well, realistically they could bust most of us on bumper height but they don't. Continuing to DD a build like that can be as much a question of maintaining decent street manners as much as what can be registered.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another question would be your age.
A 18 year old person would be pulled over with a vehicle like that where a 50 year old person would not.
Another question would be whether you have emissons testing or not.
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
micahwc
2013 JK Wrangler 

An 80s YJ will be exempt from a lot of the emissions laws that newer TJs would be subject to.
micahwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

there is a reason that Jeeps on 40"s are trailered. It just don't act nice on the freeway at 80mph. stopping it is another story. Fuel Mpg very low 40"s wont wear well on the street wont balance well. You need at least Hydro steering off road/malls perhaps not. Unless you have endless money. Running this on the road is going to get very expensive.
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The fact you want A/C pretty much limits you to a TJ. Yes, you can find some YJs with A/C, but its no where near as effective as the units in a TJ. Think of it this way, air conditioning in the YJ was an afterthought, whereas the TJ was designed with it in mind from the factory.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
there is a reason that Jeeps on 40"s are trailered. It just don't act nice on the freeway at 80mph. stopping it is another story. Fuel Mpg very low 40"s wont wear well on the street wont balance well. You need at least Hydro steering off road/malls perhaps not. Unless you have endless money. Running this on the road is going to get very expensive.
Exactly this. Have you gone through and make a rough list of what that would cost? I'm guessing tires and rims alone would be around 2 grand. You can do it but it will cost so much money.
88Jeff94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you ever driven a Jeep like the one you describe? Doesn't really sound like it. Mostly just sounds like you read a lot of stuff on the internet and threw a bunch of buzzwords into your post. Nothing about that Jeep will really work well as a DD. 37s is about the limit to DDing a Jeep. Not to mention the cost associated with what you want. You admit to having little to no money...Everything you want to do will get heart attack expensive in a heart beat.

Why do you need a Jeep like that? What kind of rig do others in your area wheel?

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLink View Post
This question is probably better suited for Pirate, but I'm going to post it here as well.

I have a very nice Scout 2 which I'm considering replacing with a more capable rig. I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should start with a YJ or TJ, and how far I can take it before it can no longer fulfill the Scout's mall crawling duties. My plans for the Jeep include 38-42" tires, comp cut fenders, D60/14B axles, stretching the WB, and links. One challenge I see is most of the Jeeps built this way are dedicated trail rigs, and I want to keep this street legal with seating for four. I'd also like to retain the A/C (if I can find one with it) and the option of running a hard top. When/where is the decision made that one is going to sacrifice street driving for capability on the rocks? If you have specific examples you could post, it'd help.

My second dilemma is whether I should start with a $2500 YJ or a $5000 TJ. The TJ would be much more comfortable to own and drive while I collected parts and built it, but $2500 is $2500 and that would go a long way with the YJ. I don't have a ton of money so that will slow the progress a bit. Any good reason to go with one over the other, considering my plans?
The statement I highlighted means 1 of 2 things....one you will NEVER finish your rig and become frustrated to the point where you accept the financial loss and sell it off......two, you will cut corners on the build and sacrifice the very things you feel necessary to make it comfortable, and or safe AND reliable.

Look up my Jeep as it is the perfect example of a reliable, very well mannered street rig, fully capable of the hardest offroad trails and driving home. I am on 1ton axles, 37"s custom linked suspension blah blah blah..... while it is possible, It is in NO WAY cheap to duplicate or build for your expectations.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

These threads are like Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone's eyes are bigger than their stomach.
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
These threads are like Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone's eyes are bigger than their stomach.
Truth. I just got back into a stock rig and I had forgotten how much fun wheeling a little stocker can be!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Truth. I just got back into a stock rig and I had forgotten how much fun wheeling a little stocker can be!

Cheers
X2 !

Big tires and lockers, Make majority of drivers lazy. I have also went back to wheeling a Stock YJ , I still have my XJ and wheel it on more Hardcore stuff. But the YJ is more fun to wheel the refresher course in nice. Trails my XJ will just crawl through are a little challenge on my YJ especially when not trying to crush a rocker ect............

Which is why I perfer smaller rigs . 35's are about as big as I will go. I wheel with guys on 37-42" tall tires all the time sure their rigs are badass . But to really challenge them they are doing insane stuff like climbing 5-6' tall vertical ledges where I can have fun climbing 3' tall waterfalls in a mild rig and still use it as a daily driver. There is a member on here I wheel with who has a badass one ton Jeep . He will admit his rig is bad *** but if he could do it again he would not go over 4-5" and run 35's max .

Also Starting small is smart it will give you the basic skills you need that a bunch of JK owners lack cause they buy a rub throw on a 6" lift and 37's then go hit up hard trails not knowing wtf they are doing.

Case in point on Fathers day myself and 90lsturbo went wheeling on a mild trail the ground was a little muddy in spots . Brady had his CJ5 on 32's open/open I had my bone stock YJ. we kept getting held up by guys on JKUs with 37's cause they had no clue WTF they were doing at a off camber section filled with water they stopped at the end of the water obstical to tell me I wouldn't make it so here I am stopped in in the middle of the water a Carbureted Jeep offcamber in 2- 1/2' of water . I yelled at the stupid ****s to move then proceeded to drive through the obstacle with no issue other then a little sputtering from fuel starvation . They asked how I made it in a stock Jeep I told them I started in a stock vehicle and learned basic skills they lacked by jumping right into a big Jeep

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.