TJ vs JK! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs JK!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #106
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Breakin just as much as a xj? Man i hope so my bro in laws xj hasnt broken down in 2-3 years so thats a good thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111
also jk have seriously like paper thin body panels... like if i fell into it i'd be afraid to dent it... would not even want to think about what would happen on a trail
I just got a set of smittybilt xcr fender armour in a trade... 3/16" cold rolled steel gonna replace my stock fenders/body panals!

JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #107
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
could you be any more full of it?
obviously you have not ever compared a flat skidded tj to a jk. and obviously you've never noticed that your chasis scrapes the ground. i'm not saying jk's are bad... they just aren't as good as tj's.

for highway driving yes they kill tj's though

and every xj i wheel with always has problems.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #108
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i like jeeps
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #109
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
obviously you have not ever compared a flat skidded tj to a jk. and obviously you've never noticed that your chasis scrapes the ground. i'm not saying jk's are bad... they just aren't as good as tj's.

for highway driving yes they kill tj's though

and every xj i wheel with always has problems.
Obviously eh? You sound like the typical 17y.o.

Considering a stock JK has MORE ground clearance under it than a stock TJ, and better approach/depart/break over angles, its hard to imagine where you got the idea that the chassis hangs lower, unless you're just blind to the larger wheel openings on the JK allowing for larger tires without lift which can add to that illusion.

the better ride (and flex) comes from the factory long arm suspension (with real control arms) something you TJers spend thousands on.

Have you even been NEAR a JK? let alone in one or offroad with one? It certainly sounds like not.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #110
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw

Considering a stock JK has MORE ground clearance under it than a stock TJ, and better approach/depart/beak over angles, its hard to imagine where you got the idea that the chassis hangs lower.

Have you even been NEAR a JK? let alone in one or offroad with one? It certainly sounds like not.
Aw im 17 thats not a fair assumption lol
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #111
kbman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't like to say newers better but it is in this case it is. Anyone with the opportunity with enough money to buy a brand new jk and tear it apart to upgrade it with teens still on the odometer would.
kbman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #112
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbman
I don't like to say newers better but it is in this case it is. Anyone with the opportunity with enough money to buy a brand new jk and tear it apart to upgrade it with teens still on the odometer would.
To each their own.
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #113
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post

Considering a stock JK has MORE ground clearance under it than a stock TJ

i said a flat skidded tj yeah it comes with more ground clearance stock... but the flat skidded tj has alot more...

for example. a stock jk has 11 inches. a 03-06 has 10 inches, and 97-02 has 12 inches... okay so jk has half of them beat. but a w/ a flat skid you gain 6 inches of clearance on 03-06.. so that leaves you at 16... so 5 inches more, i think that leaves the tj with a much better departure angle..

and oooooo factory bushing to bushing long arm suspension i'm impressed

and if you wheel... typically wheel pretty hard. odds are your rig is not going to be stock so comparing a stock tj vs jk is hard..

also i may be 17 but i know my ****. bringing in age to an argument just makes you look like you really know your stuff man

edit: and yes i have been near and wheeled inside jk's... heavily modded, to stock, to slightly modded. so i have seen it all. and that is where i am drawing my conclusions. not from reading stuff online, not from assuming things, i actually know it.

and the baby thing body panels... my tj hit the same tree as a jk did on a trail... my rig had a scratch, the jk had a full on dent.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #114
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111
and the baby thing body panels... my tj hit the same tree as a jk did on a trail... my rig had a scratch, the jk had a full on dent.
??? You managed to hit the same tree? At the same speed, angle of approach on both vehicles? Impressive...
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #115
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I've wheeled with several mildly built JKs.

Things I don't like about them
#1 electronic throttle. Ran into an issue with this needing to hit the throttle at the exact moment, and it was delayed because of the drive by wire
2 wide
3 2 doors look like they ran into a brick wall and got scrunched up
4 plastic
5 curved body panels
6 V6 engine
7 power windows... seriously
8 4 door overall length
9 Muffler Skid plate
well you get the idea

Things I do like
1 I think they would be good for taking kids to soccer practice
2 4 door looks pretty good compared to 2 door
3 does it really matter, is anyone actually going to read this?

All this being said. My plan as of right now is to possibly get a Silver JK sahara fully loaded as a DD since I will get a discount at chrysler through work and I'm hoping that my commute to work when I move won't be that long. Silver because it has to match my TJ.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #116
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
for example. a stock jk has 11 inches. a 03-06 has 10 inches, and 97-02 has 12 inches... okay so jk has half of them beat. but a w/ a flat skid you gain 6 inches of clearance on 03-06.. so that leaves you at 16... so 5 inches more, i think that leaves the tj with a much better departure angle..
Funny that, most of those TT skids advertise 2-3" of added clearance, not 6.

Quote:
and oooooo factory bushing to bushing long arm suspension i'm impressed
says the one with stamped short arms.

Quote:

and if you wheel... typically wheel pretty hard. odds are your rig is not going to be stock so comparing a stock tj vs jk is hard..
No it is not. Comparing them only makes sense when they're stock. Otherwise whoop-dee-doo, I can mod my JK too. If I want, I can put a fuel cell in the back and make a new crossmember tucking my **** further up into the frame too.

Quote:
also i may be 17 but i know my ****. bringing in age to an argument just makes you look like you really know your stuff man
No, but I certainly don't tell people they're obviously oblivious to what they're Jeep is doing and that you, somehow, aren't.

Quote:

edit: and yes i have been near and wheeled inside jk's... heavily modded, to stock, to slightly modded. so i have seen it all. and that is where i am drawing my conclusions. not from reading stuff online, not from assuming things, i actually know it.
My point about your age still stands.
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #117
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i can honestly say i've never met someone so full of it as you... you do not know how much lower the stock skid in a 03-06 is for the bigger rubi t case.

and what are the great things about the minivan engine? i heard its great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLT1YJ View Post
??? You managed to hit the same tree? At the same speed, angle of approach on both vehicles? Impressive...
not very hard to scrape up into a tree on a trail in the exact same spot on the body when your wheel base is 2 inches different

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #118
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i can honestly say i've never met someone so full of it as you...
interesting, considering we never met.

Quote:
you do not know how much lower the stock skid in a 03-06 is for the bigger rubi t case.
Well actually, you say it is 2", and if a certain skid were advertising over pre-rubi skid figures, 2-3" does not make 6". As if this is a deciding factor anyway.

Quote:
and what are the great things about the minivan engine? i heard its great
Oh mine is fantastic, Jeep really moves with it, but would be better with more ideal gearing.
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #119
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i have seen it all.
Don't worry this will pass one day.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #120
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yj's are really sick,
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.