TJ vs JK! - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs JK!

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #166
TJandMe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesh07 View Post
Have fun towing without the i6.
LOL. Towing capacities are terrible for both the TJ and the JK Jeeps but it has more to do with how light they are than anything else. TJs can get away with maybe 2000lbs safely while the JKs can do upwards of 3500 with an Unlimited. I don't tow with my Jeep. That is what my F250 is for.

Unread 12-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #167
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJandMe View Post
LOL. Towing capacities are terrible for both the TJ and the JK Jeeps but it has more to do with how light they are than anything else. TJs can get away with maybe 2000lbs safely while the JKs can do upwards of 3500 with an Unlimited. I don't tow with my Jeep. That is what my F250 is for.
Never mind the wheel base.... An old Ford with a 300 in line six has more tow capacity that any Jeep built due to the wheel base.
It's all about highway towing. A 40hp tractor can out tow a one ton pickup at 2mph but not at highway speed.

There are several factors that come into play for highway towing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #168
df04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wish the Rubicon edition didn't cost almost the same amount as the median household income though lol
Reason i waited seven years and bought a used 2004 Rubicon with 35k on it for $16,000 this past January
df04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #169
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111
just sayin you'll void that warranty with your first mod
I know a lot of dealers that will still warranty even with modified vehicles.

Sent from my
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #170
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by df04jeep View Post
Reason i waited seven years and bought a used 2004 Rubicon with 35k on it for $16,000 this past January
I feel like if I were to wait for seven years for something I would forget about it or not want it anymore... plus almost a decade goes by of life haha time sucks cack
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #171
alex123

cool info, thx
alex123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #172
df04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69 View Post
I feel like if I were to wait for seven years for something I would forget about it or not want it anymore... plus almost a decade goes by of life haha time sucks cack
Some are not as fortunate as some. I come from a $20k a year family, I was damn lucky at age 21, 22, to be driving the 1976 Rusted out ˝ ton Chevrolet I had. I wanted a TJ since 1998 when they were new. Then I discovered the almighty Rubicon, but nearly $25,000 - $30,000 when they where new, age 21 and busing tables for $5.15 working 16 hours a week, wasn't no way, and I knew my dad wasn't able to help me. Im damn proud to be the owner of a TJ, and I can say, ill be buried in this Jeep, im very very proud of it.
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #173
df04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will say, and everyone here knows it, and people with the know how can correct it, I didn't have the know how but i have driven an automatic TJ, 2004 model, and I hated the transmission that was in that jeep, late to shift going up hill, and shifts way to quick when accelerating.
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #174
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
just sayin you'll void that warranty with your first mod
I've never heard of anyone being turned down for warranty work because of mods. I believe that you are mistaken, mcannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJandMe View Post
The official towing capacity on my Unlimited TJ is 3500#s, too. My guess is that the TC for the 2-door JK is same as swb TJ.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #175
MattTB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK View Post
The plastic? Really? It's a freakin jeep. I LOVE being able to snap apart my craptastic interior and drill holes, add switches. Whoops? Made a mistake? Replace it for $5.00. Yea, I'll take my craptastic plastic over any fancy interior.

Get over yourselves, a Jeep is a Jeep. My dad has a '00 TJ and while it's impressive and I love it, I would take my JK over it any day. Comfort, better road manners, etc. 4drs have their advantages on and off road.
Just scrolling through the thread i found this gem.

I can't believe you think you're interior is not all fancy. A CJ has a simple interior. Sitting in a JK is like sitting in any run of the mill modern SUV.

And comfort? Gay.
MattTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #176
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTB

I can't believe you think you're interior is not all fancy. A CJ has a simple interior. Sitting in a JK is like sitting in any run of the mill modern SUV.

And comfort? Gay.
thank you!!! I said this many times
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #177
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTB View Post

And comfort? Gay.
No, you're wrong. Drive your Jeep like I drive mine. 25k miles in 4 months. So yes, comfort is a BIG deal. And BS. JK's look nothing like a modern SUV. Oh yea, the 2011+ maybe but not my 2010. Even the 2011 looks great.

Are you one of those guys that can't handle new things? Still using a 300MHz Intel P2? Haven't figured out that cell phones exist? Come on dude, get with reality. There's nothing wrong with JK's. I love all Jeeps, but as much as I drive there's no way I could get a older Jeep and get thrown around. This is my DD, and I need something usable in real life. I've had Jeep's for 10 years now, and the JK is my favorite. Why? The small amount of comfort, the simpleness of popping apart the plastic pieces, easily replacing it.

Plus who cares? JK's look great lifted and stock, and they are amazing off road. TJ's have big ugly steering wheels that were stolen from a Grand Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
I don't know about TJs but YJs came in 2WD.

Anyways, the TJ might be inadequate compared the your JK but you've already modified the JK. Have you also taken into consideration the cost of the JK compared the the TJ?
But you need to look at: warranty, the fact that it's a new vehicle, better gas/engine (sometimes lol). And TJ's weren't always cheap, hell a 2006 could cost up to 16~17k! In the end, another 5 years when the "refresh" is out you will probably be able to pick up a JK for pretty cheap so the point would be invalidated
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #178
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have nothing against JKs, per se, but the above post (and below quote) is just too much fun to let slide.

Quote:
JK's look nothing like a modern SUV. Oh yea, the 2011+ maybe but not my 2010. Even the 2011 looks great.
I don't see much distinction between the model years.

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

I do see some similarities here, too.

Hummer H3:

Mercedes G-Class:

Quote:
TJ's have big ugly steering wheels that were stolen from a Grand Cherokee.
Yeah, JK interior is SOOO much more rugged and pretty at the same time.

TJ:

JK:

Hmmm. Where have I seen that steering wheel before? Maybe in a BMW:

or an Audi:

Quote:
And TJ's weren't always cheap, hell a 2006 could cost up to 16~17k! In the end, another 5 years when the "refresh" is out you will probably be able to pick up a JK for pretty cheap so the point would be invalidated
The Unlimited X starts at almost $26K msrp. The 2006 Unlimited Rubicon had an average invoice of $26,358.

While the degree and severity of the FAIL! in the quoted post is perhaps unparalleled, I do agree that in short order the a used JK will be able to be had for "cheap".

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #179
df04jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This thread just keeps getting juicier by the minute
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #180
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The original JEEP was made rugged not pansy arsed, so therefore older is way better,
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.