TJ vs JK! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs JK!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #151
bluefox_gt
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , Kentucky
Posts: 62
is that power graph from a 2012? nope. Didnt say anything about a 2012. I was just saying the power donesnt feel like its there in the 3.8 in the ones that Ive been in and ran with. Might be the reason Jeep scrapped the 3.8 and made a different engine. And if I want to get out and race I usually drive my mustang or my F100

__________________
That isn't mud, it's a jeep beauty cream and the smell well, it'll go away when it drys..
bluefox_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #152
Charles
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
that performance curve is from mopar... you honestly expect that they will admit that the power curves are better for the old wranglers???? they just want to use a chrysler motor and not an amc motor and thats the one that they decided to put into the wrangler.
"The reasons the 4.0L went away was due mainly to age of the manufacturing tooling, which was worn out. The long stroke made it harder to clean up the emissions of NOx, and NIH ("Not Invented Here"), in my opinion, also reared its head. To completely retool would have cost as much (almost) as the 3.7L v6 did, and the Dodges were going to use the 3.7 as a base engine. Logically, the engine group did what they were told to satisfy the dealers...."Make a modern engine, and junk the old ones." This statement is my opinion, based on conversations at the time."

From: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/40.html

There are other sources that discuss the emissions as the demise of the 4.0.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #153
Charles
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox_gt View Post
is that power graph from a 2012? nope. Didnt say anything about a 2012. I was just saying the power donesnt feel like its there in the 3.8 in the ones that Ive been in and ran with. Might be the reason Jeep scrapped the 3.8 and made a different engine. And if I want to get out and race I usually drive my mustang or my F100
The Jeeps with the 3.8s weigh more than the Jeeps with the 4.0s. There are no exceptions. Its more than power, they feel slower than the JK's because of the power to weight ratio.

Having heard people talk about the almighty 4.0 on this forum since I've been here, I was shocked when I was out test driving TJ's with my buddy last weekend. We drove one 2006 with 40,000 miles (the best example, the others had many more miles) and it was just as slow if not slower than a JK. You guys are holding on to the past and lying to yourselves at the same time.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #154
RedZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Howell, New Jersey
Posts: 3,014
Im not reading 8 pages of one sided thoughts. So here is what ill leave you guys to debate about..

Tj hits a tree at 35.. what breaks?
Jk hits a tree at 35... what doesn't break?

Id rather have the metal over the plastic.

Sent from my
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #155
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood, California
Posts: 3,337
Go WILLY'S, CJ'S AND YJ!!!!!!
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #156
1998tjsport
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ View Post
Im not reading 8 pages of one sided thoughts. So here is what ill leave you guys to debate about..

Tj hits a tree at 35.. what breaks?
Jk hits a tree at 35... what doesn't break?

Id rather have the metal over the plastic.

Sent from my
thats easy

Tj and Jk will both be wrecked, I don't think you can comprehend the forces behind a vehicle hitting a immobile object at 35. But I do agree I don't like the plastic on the Jks
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #157
Jeeper69
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 582
That's crazy how the 2012 wranglers have 290 horsepower!!! Freaken INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE! But I don't understand why people get automatics when there are manuals available AND it costs extra for an automatic
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #158
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,854
the way the jk front bumper is set up sooo much better though than the tj because the jk cross member is farther back, so you can easily sink your winch into your bumper so it doesn't limit airflow... for the tj however... oh my mine is going to be a ***** to sink my winch in... chrysler did good with that part of the jk!
__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #159
1998tjsport
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69 View Post
That's crazy how the 2012 wranglers have 290 horsepower!!! Freaken INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE! But I don't understand why people get automatics when there are manuals available AND it costs extra for an automatic
Yeah I test drove a 2012 6-speed 2 days ago and it was surprisingly fast. I will say though my 98 had much more off idle torque once you got going the 2012 had some decent power. As much as I love TJ's I think i may finally be sold on a JK.....
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #160
Jeeper69
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tjsport View Post
Yeah I test drove a 2012 6-speed 2 days ago and it was surprisingly fast. I will say though my 98 had much more off idle torque once you got going the 2012 had some decent power. As much as I love TJ's I think i may finally be sold on a JK.....
I wish the Rubicon edition didn't cost almost the same amount as the median household income though lol
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #161
1998tjsport
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69 View Post
I wish the Rubicon edition didn't cost almost the same amount as the median household income though lol
I know that is true, but if you get a two door and buy through USAA or tread lightly you can get one for round 27k, which for a new car is not really that bad. You can get a fully option 4 door rubi for like 32,500 if you shop around. Again a lot of coin but when you consider the fact that an FJ cruiser starts at 27k its a bargin. I will be looking into a 4 door rubicon come spring, 32k is going to be a lot to swallow but it will be for a brand new jeep with 100k mile warranty. Starting price is only 22,500 and thats MSRP, what other car with a warranty can you get in that price range for that money thats as fun. I looked into new mustangs and camaros as well as STIs and 370zs. For one of those cars with the right motor and options you are well over 30k, and to be honest I own a Corvette now and I liked my jeep better so in the end I think the 30k will be worth owning the vehicle I love with no need to spend a dollar fixing it. The way I look at it is life is to short to stand around saying **** I WISH I did this.
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #162
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo, sc
Posts: 1,854
just sayin you'll void that warranty with your first mod
__________________
no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #163
222Doc
Web Wheeler
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tjsport View Post
You can get a fully option 4 door rubi for like 32,500 if you shop around. .
Oh really? Fully optioned do you mean check every box optioned? You wont find that Jeep on this planet or any other. You jest I am sure.

Go ahead hit at tree at 35 and report back to us how well it did, I will put my money on the tree. Back in 1976 a friend was driving like most 16 year olds do in his dads 68cj V6 buick, tried to get through the center of two trees at wot off road. Lets just say at 35 the tree scored 1 and the Jeep 0- no plastic on that Jeep at all. bent the frame, moved the body 3 inches off its mounts, he put his arm into window latch as the window about flew off the Jeep, ya tell me how well your Jeep does against a tree.

222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #164
1998tjsport
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Oh really? Fully optioned do you mean check every box optioned? You wont find that Jeep on this planet or any other. You jest I am sure.

Go ahead hit at tree at 35 and report back to us how well it did, I will put my money on the tree. Back in 1976 a friend was driving like most 16 year olds do in his dads 68cj V6 buick, tried to get through the center of two trees at wot off road. Lets just say at 35 the tree scored 1 and the Jeep 0- no plastic on that Jeep at all. bent the frame, moved the body 3 inches off its mounts, he put his arm into window latch as the window about flew off the Jeep, ya tell me how well your Jeep does against a tree.

I agree with you, I was the one saying hitting a tree is going to end badly. Someone else was saying that you can do so with a TJ not a JK i simply said you cannot do it with ether. As far as price, I walked into two dealerships and had both of them down to 33k on a brank new manual rubi with leather and a hardtop for 33k. Granted its not nav or dual tops but that's basically loaded....it comes with the upgraded stereo and connectivity group and heated seats. Im sure if I pressed they would go 32,500 to make the sale.
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #165
1998tjsport
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
just sayin you'll void that warranty with your first mod
Yeah but you can just unmod it if something major breaks.... or just find a dealer that likes you. I have a boosted harley truck, brought it to the dealer with a shift kit and blower pulleys on it because it had a blown trans, they covered it under warranty because they were a large dealer and had some pull with ford.....
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.