TJ vs JK! - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs JK!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #136
chargerlover

My friend has a sick jk 4inch long arm on 37 nitto mudgrapplers its an awesome jeep iv rode in it a couple times its a 4 door Damn is that thing huge i like my tj small for wheeling but that's the only downside i see to the jk...he can't go everywhere i can

chargerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #137
JTownJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you like plastic jeeps and ripping your track bar off go with the jk. If you want a real jewp go with the tj
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #138
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

be different. get a Commando.

J.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
I build websites
Jayson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #139
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTownJeep
If you like plastic jeeps and ripping your track bar off go with the jk. If you want a real jewp go with the tj
Wrong, real jerps are WILLY'S and CJ'S and YJ'S there's no fakeness about them, and they're all rugged unlike the 4x4's of today, they're all pansy arsed Vehicles....
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #140
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris
Wrong, real jerps are WILLY'S and CJ'S and YJ'S there's no fakeness about them, and they're all rugged unlike the 4x4's of today, they're all pansy arsed Vehicles....
You win the game
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #141
Heavy D
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I will agree with Willys and CJs.

Oh, and FWIW, both the TJ and JK have advantages and disadvantages. IMO the I6 is better for wheeling but both are very capable. I have had to winch TJs out of places that I was able to drive my JK through and they had comparable setups. Both on 33s, TJ with a 2-1/2" lift, JK has only JKU springs/shocks and 3/4"coil spring spacers. Most of the difference is the driver, not the vehicle.
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #142
JKRolling
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
Most of the difference is the driver, not the vehicle.
JKRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #143
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
Most of the difference is the driver, not the vehicle.
exactly, its not all rig

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #144
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! This thread went no where fast! The OP needs to just sell the TJ if he thinks its so bad compared to his mini-van powered JK.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #145
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Originally posted by Xtremjeepn:

Here are some highlights of the JK.
-Bigger tires stock than any other Jeep ever!
-More ground clearance than any other Jeep ever!
-Stronger axles than any other Jeep ever!
-Better ride than any other Jeep ever!
-More power than any other Jeep ever!
-Better approach and departure angles than any other Jeep ever!
-More cargo room than any other Jeep ever!
-slicker underside for wheeling than any other Jeep ever!
-Better control arms than any other Jeep ever!
-Bigger wheel well openings any other Jeep ever!
-Better stereo than any other Jeep ever!
-More power outlets than any other Jeep ever!
-More safety features than any other Jeep ever!
-Bigger brakes than any other Jeep ever!
-Better Lockers than any other Jeep ever!
-Better tops than any other Jeep ever!
-Requires fewer mods to do hard trails than any other Jeep ever!
-Stronger transfer case than anything other than a TJ Rubicon.
-Only factory Jeep with a sway bar disconnect.

The list really does go on and on. I LOVED my CJs, I LOVED my YJs, I LOVED my TJ, all to the tune of over 1,000,000 miles. Now I LOVE my JK more than any of those. BEST JEEP YET!

Let's start with a little perspective.

I put 220,000 miles on my first YJ, 280,000 on the second YJ, then 165,000 on the TJ. (not even going to include the CJs, WJ, FSJ, ZJ, etc).

I bought the 1998 TJ new and spent the last ten years building it as a project rig for Rockcrawler.com.

I just sold it and bought a 2008 JKUR.

The basic feeling I got was that everything I did to make the TJ cool and more functional the JK already has most of. Here is a grocery list.

-Biggest, stongest axles ever offered in a Wrangler. Even the standard D30 and D44 are stonger than previous models. Rubi axles have huge shafts.
-Strongest, lowest geared t-case offered across model range. (241 tcase in all of them, 4:1 in Rubi).
-Best approach and departure angles ever.
-Flatter underside, no more road grater skid plate.
-Bigger tires with smaller lift equal better climbing, side hilling, COG.
-Bigger discs.
-Longer control arms stock. Easier to run 35s/37s without the need for long arms.
-more interior space, rear cubby.
-sunrider and freedom top stock.
-I have always wanted more interior room for my dogs and a longer wheelbase for steep climbs but refused to cut my TJ. 4 door is awsome.
-outboarded rear shock mounts on rear axle.
-dual power outlets.
-factory nav
-MUCH MUCH easier to hold highway speed.
-Easier to go insane with no metal front fenders.
-Slight factory "comp cut" in rear.
-fuel economy.
-Most Jeepers put on wider off set wheels. The JK does not need as much offset in the wheels due to larger fender openings. So the hub center is more centered in the wheel. This protects discs, less stressfull on ball joints, etc etc. Jks tend to be very similar in total width to a TJ when built, its all about the offset.
-Can mount winch inside front frame rails to keep COG low for steep climbs.
-electronic sway bar.
-Factory stereo kicks the TJ factory stereos butt.
-factory keyless entry, remote start.
-Heat/AC vents that you can blow ANYWHERE.
-Overall it is just a more usefull rig beyond just rockcrawling it. First ever 'expedition" ready Jeep in my mind. There are tons of us out there that love to camp, ski/snowboard, mountain bike etc etc that just can't get all the gear in a two door. I love wheeling with my 2 large dogs, but once you put them in a TJ there is no space left for gear.

I could go on. I LOVED my TJ and nearly cried when it left. I NEVER wanted to "REALLY" get rid of it. Once I wheeled the JK I was VERY happy to have made the switch.

Some FACTS for you below.
Keep in mind that even a plain "x" JK has a 241 t-case and stonger axles. Only Rubi TJs come close.

If only I had pictures of how much stronger the JK axles were
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #146
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

that performance curve is from mopar... you honestly expect that they will admit that the power curves are better for the old wranglers???? they just want to use a chrysler motor and not an amc motor and thats the one that they decided to put into the wrangler.

go look at any other power curve. the i6 gets its power soooo much lower. the v6 doesn't meet the i6's torque till much later in the curve. yes it does have more power, but who wants to run the extra rpm to get it??? please look at other curves that are not from mopar.

also those drawings on the ground clearance and everything might be the most skewed drawings i have ever seen.

edit: i read the drawings wrong. they are correct for break over angles. i thought they were for ground clearance to chassis

and the jk30 really is the exact same as an xj's 30, just wider. and if you own a jeep swapping in a hp 30 is not a big deal

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #147
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

please read this... shows which one is really better for if you want to offroad

http://blogs.jpmagazine.com/1008176/...-jk/index.html

yes if you want to take the kids to soccer practice the jk is more practical

Unread 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #148
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
please read this... shows which one is really better for if you want to offroad

http://blogs.jpmagazine.com/1008176/...-jk/index.html

yes if you want to take the kids to soccer practice the jk is more practical
I like the classic Jeep look of the TJ and the mechanical throttle AND the reputation and reliability of the I6. I can't wait until they come out with the new Wrangler model line and make it more Jeep like.
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #149
bluefox_gt
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The HP and TQ graph shows very little differences to me esp. if you line a TJ up with a JK the TJ will blow the doors off of a JK I know, Ive done it. But the ride of the JK is what I couldnt get over, they ride like a car. If I could get my TJ to ride like a JK does id be good to go. I like the JK but the 4door model I just cant get used to, looks so much like a H3 its crazy but id get a 2door right now.
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #150
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox_gt View Post
The HP and TQ graph shows very little differences to me esp. if you line a TJ up with a JK the TJ will blow the doors off of a JK I know, Ive done it. But the ride of the JK is what I couldnt get over, they ride like a car. If I could get my TJ to ride like a JK does id be good to go. I like the JK but the 4door model I just cant get used to, looks so much like a H3 its crazy but id get a 2door right now.
you wont blow the doors off a 2012 stock against stock. Its a new game now
But i did not buy it for WOT rides. I have an old school big block camaro for that.

Wait till they unlock the ECM. i bet there is alot of HP under the table and more torque hidding in the 0's and 1's that are bits of the brain yet to be cracked.

This whole thread sounds like Rice tuners(JK) VS Muscle cars(TJ) or more like who's penis is bigger. If it was not for the new Jeeps selling like they are Jeep may have ended like pontiac. These days we are rather lucky there are Jeeps allowed on the street with the PC s>c<rap as it is.

222Doc is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.