TJ vs JK! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ vs JK!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESave big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
mrcrwly
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ vs JK!

Well to get things started.. i own both a 00 TJ (stock) and a JK (modified) and have recently run into a delima... the wifes rig (TJ) is stock, and a girl jeep (no offense : )) and is just not suited for her being newly pregnant, or hauling kids in the near future.. so shes driving mine! i dont mind the swap, hers is fun with the doors off and bikini top on, but im really wanting somthing a touch more agressive.
SOOO after days and hours of searching lift options (small vs tall 2-4" lift, fender cutting, adding new stock coils, bumpstops etc etc etc.. ive come to the conclusion that TJ's are the reason jeeps are money pits.. when you lift one there are numerous possible problems stemming from driveline vibes which turns into mml's, bl's, yadda yadda..
So at this point i guess ill just keep looking until i break down and start shelling out de cash.
my final vote is JKs kick arse for easy and fairly inexpensive lifting/tire options, and TJs are just a giant hassle.. feel free to throw ideas.
Im basically wanting to stuff some bigger tires in, im all for fender cutting, building arched tube fenders etc etc. lcog basically

Rescue Green Jeep Club Official Member Let the mods begin! 07 JK Sahara Loaded, 4.10s lim slip 4" RC lift 16 34x10.50 LTB Interco Swampers. Pro-Josh Evap relocation, Skid Row motor/trans skid, Build in the works...
mrcrwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
2001SportTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What exactly are you getting at or want to know?
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a sawzall, problem solved.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This thread is fail because YJs aren't involved.
taormina92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have no issues with my TJ, yes there are a few things you must replace, when you go to a certain height, but before than there isn't much you need, up to about 3" you are fine, and if you think BLs and MMLs are expensive where do you shop, I got mine for about $130 shipped, can't do much better than that, also a lot of the JK upgrades cost more. But if you are thinking 4" plus it will cost you. I think the JKs are a real fail when it comes to the motor, and all the plastic crap on them. They were built for soccer moms to drive, but they can fit bigger tires with less lift, but that's more design of the crappy plastic flares than anything else. Plus with the TJ I don't have to worry about all the electronic crap getting in the way like tire pressure sensors.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
2001SportTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I have no issues with my TJ, yes there are a few things you must replace, when you go to a certain height, but before than there isn't much you need, up to about 3" you are fine, and if you think BLs and MMLs are expensive where do you shop, I got mine for about $130 shipped, can't do much better than that, also a lot of the JK upgrades cost more. But if you are thinking 4" plus it will cost you. I think the JKs are a real fail when it comes to the motor, and all the plastic crap on them. They were built for soccer moms to drive, but they can fit bigger tires with less lift, but that's more design of the crappy plastic flares than anything else. Plus with the TJ I don't have to worry about all the electronic crap getting in the way like tire pressure sensors.
Quoted for truth. These are the words I was looking for but was too drunk to find.
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SportTJ View Post
Quoted for truth. These are the words I was looking for but was too drunk to find.
So I guess you won't be buying one anytime soon ? By the way I don't have tire pressure sensors on my Rubi and when I knock one of my crappy fenders off I just put it back on . I liked the I6 but have no problem with my V6 . My STOCK 32" tires are not to bad either same goes with the lockers . I can also assure you I'm not a soccer Mom . If I put a 4" lift on I'd be running 37"s ............ Just sayin'
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .

Last edited by fernjack; 08-01-2010 at 08:02 AM..
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
TJandMe
1985 CJ7 

The JK motor is lighter, more powerful, more fuel efficient, and more reliable than the 4.0L. Come on guys! I know we all like to be loyal to our long time I6 but there is no point in trashing a quality Mopar product because we can't afford a JK yet!

To get back on topic: If you want to keep it cost effective I'd go with a 2.5" RC lift with 15" soft 8's wrapped in 33" MT/R Kevlars. Done. My buddy got closer to 3" off that lift on his 4.0L.

Last edited by TJandMe; 08-01-2010 at 12:48 AM..
TJandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think the op is struggling to put bigger rolling stock under his TJ. I have already given a perfectly valid solution.
Honestly though, I see contradicting statements in how you are calling the TJ a girl jeep when you stated how its not suited for her, newly pregnant, hauling kids..yet, the JK is better suited for the girl..
Seems like quite the opposite from your own words, just sayin..

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 08-01-2010 at 10:29 AM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
taormina92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
So I guess you won't be buying one anytime soon ? By the way I don't have tire pressure sensors on my Rubi and when I knock one of my crappy fenders off I just put it back on . I liked the I6 but have no problem with my V6 . My STOCK 32' tires are not to bad either same goes with the lockers . I can also assure you I'm not a soccer Mom . If I put a 4" lift on I'd be running 37"s ............ Just sayin'
They're putting 32 foot tires on those things now? From the factory? Daaayuuuum.
taormina92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

failthread.

Here is a good comparison/preference thread that refrains from calling either jeep variation a 'girl' jeep:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...r-one-1073960/
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just going by your post, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There is nothing magical about a JK to make it less perceptible to the inescapable geometric changes when suspension height is increased unless you're comparing a 4 door JK to a TJ.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like my TJ for certain reason. Hell, I liked my last two TJ for certain reasons.

I will always have a softspot in my heart for my very first Jeep. CJ-5, 232 straight 6.

I would drive a Jk, and I am sure that it has certain attributes that I would fall in love with just the same... it is still a Jeep. What I do not like about the JK is that it is too far a departure from the original. That doesnt mean its not a Jeep, but you can barely see the resembelance between and WW2 Willy's and a JK.

There will be a day when my TJ has fallen apart and I will need for a newer Jeep. I will drive the Jk some day and I am sure that I will love it.

My name is Jeep and my tank is full!

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
mrcrwly
2000 TJ Wrangler 

imped you are one crabby dude - always
yes the jk is a 4 door so there are some serious differences, as with any post just take what i say with a grain of salt. im merely rambling as i felt like telling ya'll what i was thinking lol
moonshinefuel FTW
sawzalls are perfect for fender lifts!

Rescue Green Jeep Club Official Member Let the mods begin! 07 JK Sahara Loaded, 4.10s lim slip 4" RC lift 16 34x10.50 LTB Interco Swampers. Pro-Josh Evap relocation, Skid Row motor/trans skid, Build in the works...
mrcrwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taormina92 View Post
They're putting 32 foot tires on those things now? From the factory? Daaayuuuum.
OOOPS !! LOL !
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.