JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   TJ vs JK! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/tj-vs-jk-1080441/)

mrcrwly 07-31-2010 11:06 PM

TJ vs JK!
 
Well to get things started.. i own both a 00 TJ (stock) and a JK (modified) and have recently run into a delima... the wifes rig (TJ) is stock, and a girl jeep (no offense : )) and is just not suited for her being newly pregnant, or hauling kids in the near future.. so shes driving mine! i dont mind the swap, hers is fun with the doors off and bikini top on, but im really wanting somthing a touch more agressive.
SOOO after days and hours of searching lift options (small vs tall 2-4" lift, fender cutting, adding new stock coils, bumpstops etc etc etc.. ive come to the conclusion that TJ's are the reason jeeps are money pits.. when you lift one there are numerous possible problems stemming from driveline vibes which turns into mml's, bl's, yadda yadda..
So at this point i guess ill just keep looking until i break down and start shelling out de cash.
my final vote is JKs kick arse for easy and fairly inexpensive lifting/tire options, and TJs are just a giant hassle.. feel free to throw ideas.
Im basically wanting to stuff some bigger tires in, im all for fender cutting, building arched tube fenders etc etc. lcog basically

2001SportTJ 07-31-2010 11:14 PM

What exactly are you getting at or want to know?

moonshinefuel 07-31-2010 11:26 PM

Buy a sawzall, problem solved.

taormina92 07-31-2010 11:30 PM

This thread is fail because YJs aren't involved.

RogueSpear2023 08-01-2010 12:18 AM

I have no issues with my TJ, yes there are a few things you must replace, when you go to a certain height, but before than there isn't much you need, up to about 3" you are fine, and if you think BLs and MMLs are expensive where do you shop, I got mine for about $130 shipped, can't do much better than that, also a lot of the JK upgrades cost more. But if you are thinking 4" plus it will cost you. I think the JKs are a real fail when it comes to the motor, and all the plastic crap on them. They were built for soccer moms to drive, but they can fit bigger tires with less lift, but that's more design of the crappy plastic flares than anything else. Plus with the TJ I don't have to worry about all the electronic crap getting in the way like tire pressure sensors.

2001SportTJ 08-01-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 (Post 9884759)
I have no issues with my TJ, yes there are a few things you must replace, when you go to a certain height, but before than there isn't much you need, up to about 3" you are fine, and if you think BLs and MMLs are expensive where do you shop, I got mine for about $130 shipped, can't do much better than that, also a lot of the JK upgrades cost more. But if you are thinking 4" plus it will cost you. I think the JKs are a real fail when it comes to the motor, and all the plastic crap on them. They were built for soccer moms to drive, but they can fit bigger tires with less lift, but that's more design of the crappy plastic flares than anything else. Plus with the TJ I don't have to worry about all the electronic crap getting in the way like tire pressure sensors.

Quoted for truth. These are the words I was looking for but was too drunk to find. :cheers2::cheers::highfive:

fernjack 08-01-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 (Post 9884759)
I have no issues with my TJ, yes there are a few things you must replace, when you go to a certain height, but before than there isn't much you need, up to about 3" you are fine, and if you think BLs and MMLs are expensive where do you shop, I got mine for about $130 shipped, can't do much better than that, also a lot of the JK upgrades cost more. But if you are thinking 4" plus it will cost you. I think the JKs are a real fail when it comes to the motor, and all the plastic crap on them. They were built for soccer moms to drive, but they can fit bigger tires with less lift, but that's more design of the crappy plastic flares than anything else. Plus with the TJ I don't have to worry about all the electronic crap getting in the way like tire pressure sensors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001SportTJ (Post 9884786)
Quoted for truth. These are the words I was looking for but was too drunk to find. :cheers2::cheers::highfive:

So I guess you won't be buying one anytime soon ? By the way I don't have tire pressure sensors on my Rubi and when I knock one of my crappy fenders off I just put it back on . I liked the I6 but have no problem with my V6 . My STOCK 32" tires are not to bad either same goes with the lockers . I can also assure you I'm not a soccer Mom . If I put a 4" lift on I'd be running 37"s ............ Just sayin'

TJandMe 08-01-2010 01:33 AM

The JK motor is lighter, more powerful, more fuel efficient, and more reliable than the 4.0L. Come on guys! I know we all like to be loyal to our long time I6 but there is no point in trashing a quality Mopar product because we can't afford a JK yet!

To get back on topic: If you want to keep it cost effective I'd go with a 2.5" RC lift with 15" soft 8's wrapped in 33" MT/R Kevlars. Done. My buddy got closer to 3" off that lift on his 4.0L.

moonshinefuel 08-01-2010 01:52 AM

I think the op is struggling to put bigger rolling stock under his TJ. I have already given a perfectly valid solution.
Honestly though, I see contradicting statements in how you are calling the TJ a girl jeep when you stated how its not suited for her, newly pregnant, hauling kids..yet, the JK is better suited for the girl..
Seems like quite the opposite from your own words, just sayin..

taormina92 08-01-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernjack (Post 9884927)
So I guess you won't be buying one anytime soon ? By the way I don't have tire pressure sensors on my Rubi and when I knock one of my crappy fenders off I just put it back on . I liked the I6 but have no problem with my V6 . My STOCK 32' tires are not to bad either same goes with the lockers . I can also assure you I'm not a soccer Mom . If I put a 4" lift on I'd be running 37"s ............ Just sayin'

They're putting 32 foot tires on those things now? From the factory? Daaayuuuum. :rofl:

anymanusa 08-01-2010 03:39 AM

failthread.

Here is a good comparison/preference thread that refrains from calling either jeep variation a 'girl' jeep:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...r-one-1073960/

Imped 08-01-2010 03:42 AM

Just going by your post, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There is nothing magical about a JK to make it less perceptible to the inescapable geometric changes when suspension height is increased unless you're comparing a 4 door JK to a TJ.

xkuzme1 08-01-2010 08:28 AM

I like my TJ for certain reason. Hell, I liked my last two TJ for certain reasons.

I will always have a softspot in my heart for my very first Jeep. CJ-5, 232 straight 6.

I would drive a Jk, and I am sure that it has certain attributes that I would fall in love with just the same... it is still a Jeep. What I do not like about the JK is that it is too far a departure from the original. That doesnt mean its not a Jeep, but you can barely see the resembelance between and WW2 Willy's and a JK.

There will be a day when my TJ has fallen apart and I will need for a newer Jeep. I will drive the Jk some day and I am sure that I will love it.

My name is Jeep and my tank is full!

mrcrwly 08-01-2010 08:46 AM

imped you are one crabby dude - always
yes the jk is a 4 door so there are some serious differences, as with any post just take what i say with a grain of salt. im merely rambling as i felt like telling ya'll what i was thinking lol
moonshinefuel FTW
sawzalls are perfect for fender lifts! :2thumbsup:

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taormina92 (Post 9884997)
They're putting 32 foot tires on those things now? From the factory? Daaayuuuum. :rofl:

OOOPS !! LOL ! :laugh:


The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.