TJ Internet legends and myths - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > TJ Internet legends and myths

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Reply
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #91
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
We're talking about a low output CB radio.
I realize that, so if using propper coax length could let you transmit an extra half mile, it might not make much of a difference, but if you were stuck, and in need of help, and you called for help and the person you were calling to was just out of range, the extra half mile might make the difference. Not really plausible, but if you're limited to a small amount of transmit power legally, then making the most of that limited available power seems like it would be helpful. It's plain to me that I'm going against the status quo, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #92
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Thanks!





You don't, lol! But just because you're not measuring it doesn't mean all the torque suddenly vanished... When you torque a bolt to 35 foot pounds, does the bolt all of a sudden become zero foot pounds because you took away the torque wrench?
Did you miss the part where the fastener is under torque only because it's loaded?

Using your analogy, if you put a bolt in the socket on your torque wrench and turn it without it being under load, how much torque is on it?


Quote:
How does you buying junk yard parts and you knowing how to design and build a part relate to what you're asking? And just the other day you were bashing on me for recomending junk yard parts as viable options for building up a Jeep by the way.
I wasn't bashing you for JY parts, I was bashing you because you tried to make it sound like there is a perfect alternative for every aftermarket part in the JY and there isn't.



Quote:
I'm missing your point, I never said aluminum was heavier than steel or anything. And while it is lighter, and that is a benefit, using aluminum won't prevent a flop like some people think.
If you go around a corner at 35 miles an hour with 12 12' sticks of 1.25" aluminum solid bar on a lumber rack of a Toyata pick-up will you be more likely to flop with that or the same thing in steel solid bar?



See, aluminum can stop you from flopping.





Quote:
You say the sweetest things!
And everyone says I'm misunderstood.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #93
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I realize that, so if using propper coax length could let you transmit an extra half mile, it might not make much of a difference, but if you were stuck, and in need of help, and you called for help and the person you were calling to was just out of range, the extra half mile might make the difference. Not really plausible, but if you're limited to a small amount of transmit power legally, then making the most of that limited available power seems like it would be helpful. It's plain to me that I'm going against the status quo, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Like your steering, it doesn't matter if you make it perfect, it's still a CB and it's going to suck as much as a CB does even if your COAX is the perfect length.

Or put another way, Currie is to inverted T what Ham is to CB.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #94
mrblaine
Web Wheeler
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 24,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
And the way I see it if all you can do is bash other wheelers for not having as much money to afford parts as you can, and you're tired of having to wait around while they make a repair, or don't like helping them, then you really don't have the Jeep spirit, and maybe YOU should find another hobby.
Only you could take the fact that one of the reasons I know what works and what doesn't is due to the amount of time I've spent on the trail fixing the stuff that doesn't and twist it around to me not having the Jeep Spirit.

How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #95
clg82
Web Wheeler
 
clg82's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 4,108
This. Thread. Sucks.



clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #96
bustedknuckle
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Yowza! I think I might have found the perfect quote for my sig.
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #97
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I realize that, so if using propper coax length could let you transmit an extra half mile, it might not make much of a difference, but if you were stuck, and in need of help, and you called for help and the person you were calling to was just out of range, the extra half mile might make the difference. Not really plausible, but if you're limited to a small amount of transmit power legally, then making the most of that limited available power seems like it would be helpful. It's plain to me that I'm going against the status quo, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
If you are wheeling alone you are an idiot to begin with, and my god have you ever heard of a ****ing cell phone....
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #98
greg_kulosa
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Like your steering, it doesn't matter if you make it perfect, it's still a CB and it's going to suck as much as a CB does even if your COAX is the perfect length.

Or put another way, Currie is to inverted T what Ham is to CB.


But, until I can get everyone else in my club to get their license, I would just be talking to myself on my ham rig.

I get asked to help with CB problems a lot. The other day a guy was convinced that either his coax or antenna were messed up, and he asked me to check his SWR. I put my Bird wattmeter on it, and it was perfect - no reflected power at all. I asked him why he thought it was bad, and he said that he could hear everyone on the trail, but that others were reporting that his transmissions were garbled/distorted. Of course, if his antenna was messed up, he wouldn't hear well either.

We did some diagnosis, and it turns out that his mic was so hot that it was over-driving the input to the radio, and clipping and distorting. In other words, his mic was bad. We swapped mics, and he sounded perfect with mine.

I told him to get a new microphone.

My point is that he was confused by all the myths about coax and antenna's, and talking about coax length just confuses the issue more.

Maybe there's a myth in there about folks thinking that all CB problems are SWR related.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #99
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Did you miss the part where the fastener is under torque only because it's loaded?

Using your analogy, if you put a bolt in the socket on your torque wrench and turn it without it being under load, how much torque is on it?
As much torque as the wrench is able to exert upon it based on the length of the wrench and the force being able to push the wrench, you just won't be able to measure it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I wasn't bashing you for JY parts, I was bashing you because you tried to make it sound like there is a perfect alternative for every aftermarket part in the JY and there isn't.
If that is truely what you meant, then I have no arguement with you on this point sir.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you go around a corner at 35 miles an hour with 12 12' sticks of 1.25" aluminum solid bar on a lumber rack of a Toyata pick-up will you be more likely to flop with that or the same thing in steel solid bar?

See, aluminum can stop you from flopping.
Steel solid bar will flip faster than aluminum solid bar in every instance in the example you provide.

My example that is just as silly as yours, but still pertains to physics and momentum.

If you go around a corner with the same toyota, but said vehicle has aluminum wheels, axles, driveshafts, and whatever else you could replace under the frame for lightness and better performance, but still has the steel cab, and factory steel frame, and bed, then you'd still have a good chance of rolling.

My point is that there should be balance amongst parts. If you replace everything under the roll center of a vehicle with lighter parts, you actually make the vehicle more likely to flop than less likely to flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
And everyone says I'm misunderstood.
That's just a myth, lol
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #100
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Like your steering, it doesn't matter if you make it perfect, it's still a CB and it's going to suck as much as a CB does even if your COAX is the perfect length.

Or put another way, Currie is to inverted T what Ham is to CB.
Ham is more refined than CB is. Currie's Currectlync is better than what I am using.

Both can be a lot more expensive.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #101
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Only you could take the fact that one of the reasons I know what works and what doesn't is due to the amount of time I've spent on the trail fixing the stuff that doesn't and twist it around to me not having the Jeep Spirit.

How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Only you could twist what I say as well as you twist it. You've got much better word twisting skills than I have. I would actually perfer to discuss stuff, ask qustions, get answers, and learn. But you insinuate that I'm an idiot, and you insult me. And you do it to other people on the Jeep forums as well. I've got thick skin, I take it with a grain of salt. I've actually learned stuff from you and I'm appreciative of that, but I'll continue to get under your skin and "annoy" you when you bash on people that don't deserve to be bashed. I do hold my tounge though when you bash on people that deserve it. I probably fall in the second catagory, but I don't mind learning things the hard way, lol
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #102
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
This. Thread. Sucks.



This thread is really similar to the one I started about a week ago that got deleted by the mods.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #103
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
If you are wheeling alone you are an idiot to begin with, and my god have you ever heard of a ****ing cell phone....
Blaine calls me an idiot all the time. I'm used to it, lol I've got a cell phone, and in the last few years I've not had a problem with being out of range from a signal. But I have had signal loss on my cell while wheeling, and I have taken a different trail from time to time from the rest of the group. What if my only means of contact with the group was the CB, and mine wasn't strong enough to reach them and tell them I needed help? I'm sure they would come look for me eventually, but it would be much nicer if I could just key up and ask for a little help.
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #104
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep
 
jeepinmichguy_'s Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Sticks, Alabama
Posts: 7,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Blaine calls me an idiot all the time. I'm used to it, lol I've got a cell phone, and in the last few years I've not had a problem with being out of range from a signal. But I have had signal loss on my cell while wheeling, and I have taken a different trail from time to time from the rest of the group. What if my only means of contact with the group was the CB, and mine wasn't strong enough to reach them and tell them I needed help? I'm sure they would come look for me eventually, but it would be much nicer if I could just key up and ask for a little help.
What, do you have Metro PCS? You're hopeless.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #105
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
What, do you have Metro PCS? You're hopeless.
I might have, I don't know what "Metro PCS" is though... I do like to think that I've got some hope though, but I might be hopeless...

I like your new quote in your signature btw
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.