Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ Internet legends and myths

16K views 167 replies 53 participants last post by  Necromancer_tat 
#1 ·
Some of the same stuff gets perpetuated over and over. Just because you read it or wrote it doesn't mean its true. Here's a couple that irk me... feel free to add your favorites on...

1. The 4.0 is a tractor motor and is incapable of making power.

2. The 4.0 doesn't need ZDDP. I have been using Valvoline for 30 years and my grandpappy used it before that and we were always fine.

3. You need 17" rims to get good brakes. 15" rims are to small.

4. You can't hang your brake calipers by the hose or else you will FUBAR your brakes, go off the road and die.

5. You need to monitor the ATF temp coming out of the torque convertor in order to accurately know what your trans temp is.

6. Long arms ride and articulate better than short arms.

7. Shock and suspension uptravel is not needed in a Jeep... its a Jeep...we are crawling, not driving fast (refer back to irk number 1).

...and last but not least.. my favorite of late....

8. Cooler connections always need to be pointed up because the average Jeeper is not competent to properly bleed a system. If mounted down or sideways, you will FUBAR your system, go off the road and die.

See less See more
#3 ·
Some of the same stuff gets perpetuated over and over. Just because you read it or wrote it doesn't mean its true. Here's a couple that irk me... feel free to add your favorites on...

2. The 4.0 doesn't need ZDDP. I have been using Valvoline for 30 years and my grandpappy used it before that and we were always fine.

4. You can't hang your brake calipers by the hose or else you will FUBAR your brakes, go off the road and die.

5. You need to monitor the ATF temp coming out of the torque convertor in order to accurately know what your trans temp is.

7. Shock and suspension uptravel is not needed in a Jeep... its a Jeep...we are crawling, not driving fast (refer back to irk number 1).

8. Cooler connections always need to be pointed up because the average Jeeper is not competent to properly bleed a system. If mounted down or sideways, you will FUBAR your system, go off the road and die.
:2thumbsup::tea::agree::carrot::bowdown:

#4 ·
I think you started that one... :rofl::rofl:

Dude.......you drive a Jeep shaped like a brick with a tractor/torque motor that is programmed with very strict emissions tuning.
You are right tho.. the 4.0 and more specifically the Jtec controller doesn't like to be hot rodded all that much.
While I have a 2.5" exhaust and a nice Spintech on it, it really doesn't sound all that good....its basically a tractor motor all gussied up for the prom LOL.
You are dealing with Jeeps and a tractor motor, not ricers
but yes, I know what you mean to say. :D

#6 ·
Amother myth...
If you have a shimmy or full on DW... get a new stabilizer

If you have a 4" or more lift... you need a drop PA. Even if you leave the TB alone.

#13 ·

I can't believe you missed the big triumvirate of offroading.

You can't be a Jeeper and go offroad unless you have an Optima, a Hi-Lift, and a K&N air thingy.

#165 ·
#20 ·
LCG is the ONLY way to build a Jeep, cause everyone is a crawler.

#22 ·
If someone driving a _____ Jeep driving 75 MPH the other way on the interstate doesn't wave at me as we pass each other my day will somehow be totally worthless. I will need professional help and drugs for me to get through the rest of the day. That night will be sleepless as I toss and turn from the severe mental blow I received from this person without a soul.

#37 ·
Here's a few.

Anything other than a Currie steering set up won't work and you'll crash and die.

An engine doesn't produce torque unless it's loaded up against something.

Coax cable length doesn't affect anything if you run the shortest length you can from transciever to antenna.

There are no good parts in a junkyard.

Aluminum parts will keep you from flopping your Jeep on the trail.

Steel parts will cause your Jeep to flop on the trail.

It doesn't make sense to buy the part you can afford and get back on the trail, because the part you purchased will fail in a year or two, it makes much more sense to save up for a year or two and not use your jeep at all until you can afford to buy the "right/correct" part instead.

#38 ·
Here's a few.

Anything other than a Currie steering set up won't work and you'll crash and die.

An engine doesn't produce torque unless it's loaded up against something.

Coax cable length doesn't affect anything if you run the shortest length you can from transciever to antenna.

There are no good parts in a junkyard.

Aluminum parts will keep you from flopping your Jeep on the trail.

Steel parts will cause your Jeep to flop on the trail.

It doesn't make sense to buy the part you can afford and get back on the trail, because the part you purchased will fail in a year or two, it makes much more sence to save up for a year or two and not use your jeep at all until you can afford to buy the "right/correct" part instead.
Do you really want to start those arguments over again? Pretty sure they didn't go so well for you the first time around.

#43 ·
TJs and all Jeeps in general are the most unreliable off road vehicles ever built.
axleshafts snap every two trail rides , u-joints desintegrate, differentials crumble and D30 front axles bend from just looking at them :rofl:

The only powerful and reliable off road vehicles are manufactured in Japan.

If your tires rub you need more suspension lift.

33" tires can only be run with 4" suspension lifts.

TJs with tires smaller than 35" are uncool. And of course completely incapable.

Bodylifts (ANY!) are dangerous.

Wheelspacers are safe.

A TJ always NEEDS a ARB locker to be truly off road capable. At least it needs a locker.

The 42RLE is THE perfect auto transmission for TJs. At least it is hassle free.

With a TJ you cannot go fast off road ... TJ owners do not want to go fast anyway.

Chrome on TJs is ugly and outdated ... But aluminum is politically correct!

Black is beautiful.

A clean TJ is a mall crawler.

A turbo TJ is complete nonsense.

Aftermarket "sailcloth" soft tops are as tough/same quality as original mopar soft tops. Their soft windows are as thick as well.

The chrysler engineers know everything better ... they did everything right with the TJ ... (therefor we do not need to modify anything)

Only stock TJs are reliable TJs.

JF members always learn from others' advice.

mrblaine is never misunderstood.

#87 ·
Actually most of those "arguments" were started by others who didn't agree with my opinion about something in a thread that I didn't start, the thread then went off the rails, and I just stopped replying because myself and the others argueing weren't doing the thread, nor the OP any good.

I actually started another thread to try to move off to one of my own so I could defend myself and not ruin someone elses thread, but the mods deleted that thread.

Just because someone has thousands of posts, and a large following of people that trust them and will back them up in an arguement doesn't make them right. There were lots of people that believed the earth was flat, and look how that turned out for them. :p

#48 ·
... not literally. But there are so many posts implying it is basically a good tranny. Until you start searching after experiencing some "glitches" ... Heck I would even go as far as saying AVOID auto TJs > 2003.
(Chrysler engineers were "courageous" enough to reuse it in JKs up to 2012 and Liberties > 2007 ... graaah)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.