Tj frame recall - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
2002TJX65
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ frames rot because of the "strap down" holes in the frame. They are there so that the vehicles can be strapped down for shipping. The holes happen to be right next to the wheels in a few cases. The holes allow everything the wheels kick up to enter the frame. All that crap gets in there and has no way to dry so it stays wet. Wetness plus metal equals rust. I didn't want to do this but over the weekend I drilled a 2 inch hole in my frame and vacuumed the **** out of it. Worked really well. Welded a patch on and painted it, you'd never even know I did it! Might not be the best way to clean out the frame, but it's a jeep! Good luck with the recall (honestly... Not trying to be a smart *** like the other people who can't seem to just be nice to a fellow jeeper)

03 Rubicon: Build in Progress
02 TJ: Built and totaled
86 CJ7: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Rubishawn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am surprised that that kind of behavior is allowed on here. I actually thought I was on Pirate after reading some of these posts. Some forums would have banned the flamers by now. Too bad people have to stoop to name calling. Some of these people don't even live in a severe salt belt area and probably have no idea what you are talking about because they don't know what rust or rot is.

I too, do wish you luck. I don't think frames should be a maintenance item and yes, they do have problems, just like the fenders. I know you have to clean more up here in the salt belt but they should engineer stuff better for areas like this because they are sold here too. If some companies are offering 10 years/100k miles warranties on body rust through and that is just thin gauge steel, then I would think 1/8+" frames should be able to last much longer. Frames need to be solid more than the bodies do because everything is riding on them(sounds like a Michelin commercial

It is too bad people can't drive or don't have Jeeps then we would not need to salt the roads. Heck with the amount of money saved from buying, stockpiling, moving, spreading, and sweeping up the stuff, you could train people on how to drive in the stuff and just make snow tires, studs, or chains mandatory in designated areas. The stuff just depreciate our vehicles, makes it so you can't see out the windows, dries out rubber parts(including wiper blades, so we can see even less). Sorry, got side tracked--rant over

See where I wheel, http://exploringnh.com/
post #33 of 40 Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 PM
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Only Toyota recalls frames.. Tacoma

post #34 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM
targabill

It a down right shame with the hard earned money you pay for these things and the frame will rust out and soon fall to the ground. Jeep should show a bit of pride in there product and recall rusted frames. It's a huge design flaw, large holes in the side of the frame and no drain holes on the bottom, come on??? My jeep looks awesome, with 50k miles and now won't pass inspection with a rusted frame, structurally UNSAFE!!!

I love my Jeep but will NEVER EVER BUY another one...
post #35 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 PM
targabill

Please go to NHTSA and file a complaint about your rusted frame..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...3&refurl=email
post #36 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
dante2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Way to drag up a 3 1/2 year old post Targabill. The OP has not posted on here in more than 2 years.

Her's - 2004 KJ 218K stock
Mine - 1994 YJ 4.0 AW4 2" Zone lift, 31's
Our's - 1989 MJ 4.0 2wd auto
post #37 of 40 Old 09-15-2015, 07:19 PM
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by targabill View Post
It a down right shame with the hard earned money you pay for these things and the frame will rust out and soon fall to the ground. Jeep should show a bit of pride in there product and recall rusted frames. It's a huge design flaw, large holes in the side of the frame and no drain holes on the bottom, come on??? My jeep looks awesome, with 50k miles and now won't pass inspection with a rusted frame, structurally UNSAFE!!!

I love my Jeep but will NEVER EVER BUY another one...
all I got to say is - buy whatever floats your boat. I doubt you get a lot of folks willing to give up their Jeeps.

do you drive on the beach a lot? drive through salted snow?
my JK is only 8 years old and the underneath looks as good as it did when new.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-23-2016, 12:15 PM
hamilton51

2000 Jeep Wrangler with lift kit help??

Hi
My husband has a 2000 jeep wrangler and found out it needs uni-rail both sides front to back of cabin and frame in back behind bumper rotted out and also fuel tank skid plate. This has a lift kit and just bought wrap around back fenders and front specialty fenders all else is good. My question is is this repair worth it and does anyone know costs on this kind of work. I have looked for a frame and no one around here has one. Any help with honesty would be great
post #39 of 40 Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 AM
tjmay6

My wrangler is a 2002 and very well maintained, NEVER taken of road and wife has drove back and forth to work since we have owned it. That being said the frame at the transfer case mounts is badly rusted due to water being held inside of frame. From what I have seen all of these TJ's are like this..
post #40 of 40 Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Brewskiskeeter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You're a retard. Simply put.

Keeping your car clean can prevent rust, even in areas where they layer salt on the road.
I have to disagree here. Vehicles rust bad in this area (mn) and there is nothing you can do to prevent it except not to drive it in the winter.

2000 Wrangler 2.5 5 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.