post #16 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM
HarryJeepGuy

Can we add a poll to this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
MightyLampshade
1979 CJ7 

On a more realistic note I think you're looking for a way out of some rust you've found that you don't care for and because many other people have reported the same or similar problems you're thinking it might be an appropriate case for a recall. I've never been in a situation where something I had was recalled but recently my uncle's Ford Windstar van was recalled for the rear axle issues. He drove a rented Town&Country for 4 months because Ford no longer makes minivans and they basically parked all Windstars while they figured out what to do. They ended up repairing them and he now has his Windstar back and doesn't have any issues.

A recall on the scale you're talking would likely require them to require EVERY Jeep back if only to be checked regardless of if you're having the rust that you're so bent out of shape about. Not only would this be a time consuming and costly endeavour but you'd be without your vehicle for who knows how long with the potential of it being crushed when they come to a decision. There comes a point when the fact that you see some rust is no longer the responsibility of the manufacturer and I think your 14 year old heep is well past that mark.

You may find some support on this or other forums but I don't think what you're shooting for is terribly realistic and most people know Jeeps aren't going to be perfect vehicles to begin with. By nature most Jeepers are tinkerers and while rust sucks we suck up and handle it. How bad is your rust problem? Is it something you can wire wheel down and cover with some POR or something similar? I think you'd have a much better reaction here if you tried to fix it instead of sticking it on someone else and expecting them to fix it. But that is just the generally entitled attitude so many people seem to have these days...
Trons likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Let's make fun of him for being assaulted by chicken so he can claim emotional distress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid
I know it is a shot in the dark but you never know sometimes all you need is a small shot....Just think how many it could help...My frame is not rotted but it is showing some signs of the tj rust issues
Look at everything people have done to try to get OPDA and gas tank addressed and no results. And those are actual manufacturing issues and in the gas tank case involve a real safety issue. But you think jeep will pay attention to this? That is funny!

post #19 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If Chrysler still hasn't acknowledged the OPDA and gas tank issue, do you really think they are going to care about people who live in rust prone complaining about rust?
post #20 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 AM
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid View Post
.......If your frame is good then it wouldn't even apply to you... Im aware of the fixes there are but it is frustrating to deal with...I did not post this to be bashed I posted this to bring light on a problem that many of us experience...
But even if my frame is not rotted , it will still effect me if i want to sell, or if I'm in a wreck and have to deal with a insurance company.
How you might ask??
Ever see what happened to the NADA or KBB book values of Tacomas before and after the recall.
Perception is everything when it comes to the Value.

Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
post #21 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Danno6102
2003 TJ Wrangler 

About 7 years ago my wife & I turned in a Ford Explorer that she had leased. After the inspection they listed a rusted side step that we would need to pay to replace, I played the "rust is an act of God" card & the response I got was that it can be prevented with good preventive maintenance.

So too can your frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
post #22 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im not trying to get out of repairing my jeep in any way, In fact I love repairing it. I just feel that chrysler has a problem and it should be addressed by them...I would never want to cause a negative effect on others. Maybe it is a bad idea but it was just a thought,I know anything can be fixed but like I said it is frustrating to find so many tj rotting away under and it being passed off like no biggie...One thing to remember a vehicle is not a investment in any way..KBB is good for dealers not for modified vehicles, If someone likes your jeep they will pay what you ask plane and simple................

As for a poll that would be cool. how do you set it up for a poll decision?
post #23 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Maintenance is the key true to that...Like I said It was my opinion and I never would want it to impact anyone else in a negative way....I prob is a bad idea in a way of resale aspect.
post #24 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to say thanks for all the reply's. It is always good to hear others opinions ( if they are constructive) I know it is a huge shot in the dark and prob a bad idea but I really never thought how it could affect so many in a negative way..
post #25 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you dont want to contribute positively then move on.
I'm positive you're an idiot.
Trons likes this.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread
post #26 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=tanksoldier;12730038]I'm positive you're an idiot.[/

Thank you
post #27 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
fromme

1977 CJ7 

I think it's time for mommy to stop tucking you in to bed at night.

Let me see if I'm reading all this correctly; you don't have a rotten frame, but you have some mild rust starting to appear, which would be what any 14 year old vehicle in Michigan would exhibit in the absolute best case. You allege that you are concerned for all those other Jeep owners who do in fact have a rotten frame and want to start a rally cry and contact a lawyer so Jeep will recall all frames and replace your frame? Your 14 year old frame that is still solid and not rotten.

If the ungalvanized CJ frame rots because of poor drainage, then why does the galvanized TJ frame rot? If 14 years isn't enough, then how long is a vehicle manufacturer supposed to engineer a vehicle to last with no signs of rust in a location where there's lots of snow and ice and salt?

And a question more relevant to your initial statements, how many people have died or been seriously injured as a result of a rotten TJ frame?

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."
post #28 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

This post isnít intended to bash you or anything; Iím just wondering why you stopped at í03 on the TJís when the last year was í06?
post #29 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You're a retard. Simply put.

Keeping your car clean can prevent rust, even in areas where they layer salt on the road. Why should someone else pay for your ****ty maintenance. All it is these days is "I want this for free" and "Its someone else's fault and not me."
post #30 of 40 Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 PM
jc45840
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid View Post
( I think) haha
a few words say it all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.