Tj frame recall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Tj frame recall

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Tj frame recall

I changed the way this was worded due to my lack of thinking it threw...So here is the way I should have worded it ( I think) haha

There are a lot of tj from 1997-2003 that have frame related damage from rust. What are your opinions on chrysler ever recalling the damaged ones and fixing/replacing them? I know it could effect many in a negative way and I didnt really think of that when I posted originally. I would never in any way want to cause others to have a negative outcome from something like this...

Last edited by bdavid; 12-23-2011 at 10:56 AM..
bdavid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Mackinaw

Good luck with that....

OPDA
exxon valdez fuel tanks
Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

my frame is mint and my tj has almost 140k. definitely have seen a lot of ****ty frames on TJ's, but you have to buy the right one and maintain it. dont park it over grass all the time cause that eats them like no tomorrow. good luck, its a jeep thing.

I6, NV3550, NP231, Trussed Ford 8.8, Trussed HPD30
2002TJX65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid View Post
Seems anyone with a tj knows the issues with the frame, They rot by the back wheel and near the trans/t-case mount. I know there has been many cars that have had dealer/manufacture recalls for rust issues. Toyota was one of the biggest we can compare ours to, Lets get the ball rolling and start this recall. There is more than enough people on this forum to make a complaint. So lets take the power of one of the biggest jeep forums and make a stand.

If anyone has the info that we need to start this please send it to me. I will be contacting some Lawyers to get advice on how to proceed further actions. You will be amazed on what a group can get accomplished.
How many rusted out under even a 7/100 warranty period?
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid View Post
You will be amazed on what a group can get accomplished.
A lot of us are still amazed at the dumb things newbs post. You obviously have no idea what a recall is and what would cause one to be set in motion. You may be over exaggerating the number of issues, it would take more numbers for a voluntary recall or a proven number of deaths/serious injury for a required recall.
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

120k miles, 15 years old, and the frame along with everything else is 99.99% rust free.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
A lot of us are still amazed at the dumb things newbs post. You obviously have no idea what a recall is and what would cause one to be set in motion.
Sorry for the lack of intelligence of a noob........ I did auto glass for 15 years, Over those years I have witnessed many car manufactures recall there vehicles for safety issues ( pontiac Montana had rust issues on roof causing structure failure they were recalled, Ford explorer recalled, Venture van rust recall) why not jeep? If you dont want to contribute positively then move on........ How do you think those all got called back? It is easy to sit on your A@# and make negative worthless comments, Im asking for those who have or had this problem and there are lots to chime in and give positive answers..
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think this would apply to the states that have salt and heavy moisture.........
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think this is such a great idea. I Know I wouldn't want it to work like the one did for the Toyota owners!!! I'm NOT giving up my 99 TJeep to see it go to the crusher!!! I might feel different if I had bone stock TJ, but I'm not going to start a 5 year build all over.

If you have a really bad side rail rust erosion, Just bite the bullet and go to autorust.com and find the
Safe-T-Cap. these guys are in Rhode Island. It look like a good set up.
There is a article (Salt Licked) on the Safe-T-Cap on page 84 of the Feb 2012 issue of Four Wheeler Magizine.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
A lot of us are still amazed at the dumb things newbs post. You obviously have no idea what a recall is and what would cause one to be set in motion. You may be over exaggerating the number of issues, it would take more numbers for a voluntary recall or a proven number of deaths/serious injury for a required recall.
Just to clarify what a recall is from the noob...Auto recalls are very costly legal matters whereby the auto makers notify both dealers and individual consumers of a defect in their vehicle. As the origin of the recall is the fault of the car manufacturer, these repairs and/or replacements are made at no cost to the consumer or the auto dealer. Recalls may be issued for both purchased and leased vehicles.
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
MightyLampshade

1979 CJ7 

Wait! The CJ crowd needs in on this! Our frames rot out in the back all the time! Clearly something needs to be done about this naturally occuring oxidation! I won't take it! I demand a recall!

/sarcasm off
1979 Golden Eagle Rebuild
MightyLampshade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know what you are saying about starting over.... It would be a choice you can make if you wanted to turn it in or not...If your frame is good then it wouldn't even apply to you... Im aware of the fixes there are but it is frustrating to deal with...I did not post this to be bashed I posted this to bring light on a problem that many of us experience...
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Jagtec1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a 64 Bonneville wagon that has some rust also....I'm certain that most of the other ones out there have this issue as well. See where I'm going with this? I worked at a Jaguar/Saab/Land Rover dealer for a long time, and understand how recalls work. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Actually the rear on the cj/yj rotted due to poor drainage.. The rear leaf mount restricted the ability to drain the water/sediment and it would build up and cause rot...
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
bdavid
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know it is a shot in the dark but you never know sometimes all you need is a small shot....Just think how many it could help...My frame is not rotted but it is showing some signs of the tj rust issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.