Tire pressure DEATH WOBBLE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Tire pressure DEATH WOBBLE

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
fireRANG

Tire pressure DEATH WOBBLE

I recently experienced a very scary situation in my 08 Stock wrangler. I was driving on the interstate through the mountains, coming down the backside of a mountain pass, when i slightly pressed the brake. I reduced about 5 MPH from 55 to 50 when the car began shaking quite violently. I didn't knwo what to do, and figured if i kept braking it owuld get worse, so i released the brake and shifted into 2nd(automatic transmission). the shaking then stopped. over the rest of the trip, i would get similar shaking when braking. i began reading about it and learned about the death wobble. I dont think that i have this as ive read the death wobble only happens when you have to pretty much completely stop for the wobble to stop, and i did not require that.

Anyways, i read it may be tire pressure, and i checked my tire pressure - stock wrangler tires - side door says 35 psi - my front right was at about 29, while the other 3 tires were nearly at 50! i have no clue how this happened. had the car serviced recently, bu tbesides the point. is it likely this uneven tire pressure was the cause? i did a visual inspection of the underside and everything looks in line - no shiny spots or loose bolts. any thoughts would be appreciated as im a bit scared to get back on teh mountian highways after exeriencing this.

much thanks to all

fireRANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When I first got my TJ it had a slight wobble but it cleared up after having the tires balanced and the pressures checked.

My old Toy 4WD puickup had the same symptoms that you described. After several trips to a Toy dealer they discovered a "mis-aligned and slightly loose" front brake disc (their explanation - I'm not a mechanic). Who knows what caused it?

Even after they "Serviced" it (and me) it continued to be a problem until I sold the truck. Never did find out the truth.

Take yours to your dealer and make a pest of yourself - the squeaky wheel gets thew grease (NO PUN INTENDED).
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Shaking when braking is often due to badly worn rotors. I would have horrible shaking at around 55 in my TJ. After I replaced the rotors, it's no longer an issue.

Tags
death wobble , psi , shakes , shaking , tire pressure

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.