tips on what to buy with christmas money - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > tips on what to buy with christmas money

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
PsychoJeeper92
2008 JK Wrangler 

im getting a torx bit set soon, because my mother decided to buy me a big set of allen wrenches thinking that that was what i was always looking for when doing stuff to my jeep. she is going to return those and get me the torx bit set. so i wont need to necesarily (spelling? lol) need to get one with torx bits. but tht 255 set sounds like a good deal. where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking and a link perhaps?

PsychoJeeper92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got it two weeks ago direct from Craftsman.com (Sears tool site) at this link or go to Sears / Craftsman's website and search for "255 mechanic." At the time, it was priced at $149. Today it says $200. WTF? I just googled it and every place that says it's $149 on Google says "price expired" when you go to buy. Nuts!

I can't believe that they just raised the price 33% overnight. You might want to see if it goes back on sale during the post-Xmas sales.

This does have Torx bits, from T-15 to T-50. The only thing it lacks that I have ever needed for vehicle and motor maintenance (and I don't remember if this was for my Jeep, or for another truck around my farm) is a 1.5 inch monster socket, T-55 and T-60 Torx, a set of large Allen-hex sockets (used for differential fill plugs on some axles, but not Jeep axles), adapters to change between socket driver sizes (3/8-to-1/2" and 1/2-to-3/8" are the ones I use often), a breaker bar, and 3/8" and 1/2" elbows. But it's pretty rare that I need any of those; in fact, I'm not sure I've ever used any but the elbows and the adapters on the Jeep, and even then it might have been for convenience rather than necessity.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

LOL, thats the exact tool set I got this christmas too!

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

With that budget I'll add my vote for a good set of tools.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
PsychoJeeper92
2008 JK Wrangler 

well i got someone to buy the target card from me. i now have a full 225 dollars to spend anywhere. the bumper i really want (smittybilt src) is on sale for 219 at quadratec. normally 259. should i go for it? anyonehave complaints about that bumper?
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoJeeper92 View Post
thanks for the ideas guys. im thinking of a nice tool kit. as i am using my fathers tools right now, and they arent in the best condition. i found this one, http://www.target.com/p/Allied-175-p...page.adjacency ive never heard of the brand, but its pretty jeep for 175 piece.

and to the bumper suggestion, i think its a great idea. But im going to save that for my tax return money. And i already have a recovery strap. but a compressor is a good idea. anyone else got suggestions? im open to them.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Dont buy a brand you dont trust... If you are going to buy any brand, get a brand with a lifetime warranty.

I have the Kobalt trifold 173 pc for around the house and minor repairs, A 300+ piece craftsman set and a taskforce 1/2" ratchet set with large metric deep and shallow sockets and torx. All have lifetime. Break one and you dont have to buy it again.

The 1/2" socket got used on my bumper install, Front and rear brakes (18mm rear caliper bolts 21mm up front), and PSC crusher fenders. Not necessarily my favorite tool, but far and away most commonly used. That set, and a 5" C-clamp and you can start doing your own brakes.

If you dont have your own drill, a 21V with a good set of titanium bits (can use on wood, or I drilled through 3/16 plate steel with mine doing my fenders) is a good bet.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #22
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Once you add shipping especially with the heavy item charge you will be over the $225 I would imagine shipping is $50-$100 on something that big and heavy. I dont know yet exatly thoughI havent made it that far on my jeep yet. But when I was shopping I could swear that had a rediculous heavy item surcharge
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lowes stores are pretty hard to come by these days.... If you manage to find one, you could drive there. Might save you a few clams on shipping.... just a thought.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #24
nickmonaco
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So, this christmas, i got a total of 125 dollars to spend on whatever i want. i have a 100 dollar target card to but they dont sell a lot of automotive stuff. id like to get something for my jeep since i have been holding off to save money. any ideas?
Look on google and see where there is a harbor freight store near you. Everything there is cheap. I don't "need" craftsman tools I just buy what I can afford. Or if your good on tools and recovery gear, buy some KC Apollos. Ill be buying a set of long range 55 watts. I think their Around 130 dollars. Or maybe buy some seat covers or new headlights. Sylvania siverstars are affordable. Maybe an Etool. Military folding shovel. Or some black headlight bezels or grille inlays those look nice... hope this helped
[B][/B][I][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/I]WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
nickmonaco
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey btw there's a pro comp bumper on 4wd.com that's 1 inch steel with d rings for like 146.00but that src is pretty nice. If you like the procomp one though you could also buy lights.
[B][/B][I][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/I]WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Lowes stores are pretty hard to come by these days.... If you manage to find one, you could drive there. Might save you a few clams on shipping.... just a thought.
I am pretty sure lowes does not sell that bumper he was talking about.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lane40 View Post
gas! its what I'm spending mine on... got have something to get me to the trails and back
Exactly what im spending my christmas cash on
JohnW720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #28
PsychoJeeper92
2008 JK Wrangler 

i like the gas idea. but id rather buy something that i dont already have money set aside for. like gas is an everyday thing. but a bumper or any other addon is like a treat for me. 4wd is having a sale. i save 40 dollars on the src bumper and free shipping comes to 219. im thinkin of going for it
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #29
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I am pretty sure lowes does not sell that bumper he was talking about.
Didnt specify. Just replied to my post.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #30
Nutoriiuz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well i got someone to buy the target card from me. i now have a full 225 dollars to spend anywhere. the bumper i really want (smittybilt src) is on sale for 219 at quadratec. normally 259. should i go for it? anyonehave complaints about that bumper?
I got that bumper and its great! you might have to do a little bit of cutting on the plastic jeep piece in the front to get it to line up with the holes but overall its great.
Nutoriiuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.