They totalled my TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > They totalled my TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy View Post
I was offered $4,400 for my '72 J2000 pickup when I got hit. Just messed up the bed, and they totalled it. Buy back was around $650 so I pocketed the rest, and bought a whole other truck for parts. Make sure AT&T's insurance pays you for Pain and Suffering, too, because fixing your truck is a big PITA (assuming you DID go to the hospital, which would have been the smart thing to do having been rear-ended). Your insurance will probably have a medical claims deal, too. Geico sent me 2 grand for medical bills, on top of the 2 grand from Nationwide for P&S on my part, plus they paid the ER bill to get my head checked out afterwards. nice little $7600 to get things rolling again. I would think in your case, you should get WAY more.
i am PRAYING that this is the case. usually things never work out in my favor like this. i wish this time they would. because i love my jeep. and no. I didnt go to the hospital, i anticipated th ehit because i saw him coming. I doubt At&t will give me anything. I dont need anymore stress or financial hardships than i alrady have and getting lawyers involved and yada yada yada would probably do exactly that. Unfortunitally, Im uninjured 100% : / I hope i can work it all out, keep my jeep. and get her looking nice again

DerekXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
yjhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

did you sign any release papers from the insurance companies or police? im pretty sure you have 2 years to settle on injuries even if you didnt go to the hospital. but if you signed the paper, your SOL!
yjhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Missouri, so it's not applicable to you, but I was able to buy back my YJ after a similar incident. In addition, since it never left my hands, I didn't end up with a salvage title. The easiest thing to do is talk to the adjuster. The adjuster will be able to answer your questions. If you don't like what they're saying (that you can't buy back or etc.) start going up the ladder or call a lawyer.

My adjuster was actually pretty decent to deal with. My YJ is a '92 and was still in fantastic condition. Due to the age of the vehicle, the NADA was not exactly representative of the value, but to help out, I bought it back for a grand total of $100. It had a two week old set of $650 tires on it at the time...
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
1998tjsport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekXJ View Post
i am PRAYING that this is the case. usually things never work out in my favor like this. i wish this time they would. because i love my jeep. and no. I didnt go to the hospital, i anticipated th ehit because i saw him coming. I doubt At&t will give me anything. I dont need anymore stress or financial hardships than i alrady have and getting lawyers involved and yada yada yada would probably do exactly that. Unfortunitally, Im uninjured 100% : / I hope i can work it all out, keep my jeep. and get her looking nice again
Damn dude sorry to hear about what happened. I just saw you live in Massapequa lol I graduated from there in 07. If I were you I would simply buy the thing back and fix it yourself? What color is it I am about to part out a red 99 I have some stuff you could use. Let me know and good luck with the jeep I hope all works out.

Edit I just put 2 and 2 together hahahaha im an idiot for not realizing this is Derek from NYIT right? Lol damn dude now im extra sorry to see what happened if u need **** text me I will probably have what you need. You can fix it.....
1998tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tjsport View Post
Damn dude sorry to hear about what happened. I just saw you live in Massapequa lol I graduated from there in 07. If I were you I would simply buy the thing back and fix it yourself? What color is it I am about to part out a red 99 I have some stuff you could use. Let me know and good luck with the jeep I hope all works out.

Edit I just put 2 and 2 together hahahaha im an idiot for not realizing this is Derek from NYIT right? Lol damn dude now im extra sorry to see what happened if u need **** text me I will probably have what you need. You can fix it.....
^^ This guys a lifesaver!!!!!!!! ha ha ha. Thanks kyle.
DerekXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is why my Jeeps don't get full coverage. Those bastards ain't touching it.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So,

Can someone tell me why the $&#* they totalled my truck!?

my trucks a 97, clean interior, mint clearcoat. not too many dings.
6 cyl 5 speed with 140k on it.
Mechanically runs beautiful.
Hardtop. Full doors ( have the halfs at home )

value of about $3000-$4000

being in the car bus a bit, you may not beleive it but your rig in the 'book' is not worth much there for its is a writeoff.... insurance does not care how much you spent on it, period.

Is it going to become a salvage? Will they even LET me buy it back ? Ugh. im thoroughly disgusted.
yes, and yes....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjhunter View Post
did you sign any release papers from the insurance companies or police? im pretty sure you have 2 years to settle on injuries even if you didnt go to the hospital. but if you signed the paper, your SOL!
and people wonder why your insurance rates are thru the roof....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So,
I got rear ended by an AT&T work truck. Blew out my rear window. hammered my tailgate and tire carrier,bent the tailgate hinges. and dented the rear cross member ( no bumper on at the time ). i know, between a tailgate, hinges, back window used....i could aquire those parts for about 100 bucks and the rear window for probably about 250.

my trucks a 97, clean interior, mint clearcoat. not too many dings.
6 cyl 5 speed with 140k on it.
Mechanically runs beautiful.
Hardtop. Full doors ( have the halfs at home )

Can someone tell me why the $&#* they totalled my truck!?

Also, i know alotta guys here have been through all of this. I obviously arent going to let them take it. Ive got alotta blood and sweat into that truck, Its 100% driveable, and i could probably fix it myself if i really wanted ( minus the paint ).

Is it going to become a salvage? Will they even LET me buy it back ? Ugh. im thoroughly disgusted.
now is the time to buy a CJ>>>>>>>>>>
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you are ok. You need to remove that spare tire and install a pintel on your hitch. They stick out about a foot. Those tires mounted on the rear door always cause more damage than without.
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #26
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm amazed people don't know all there rights. It is your vehicle. It is so until you sign the papers accepting the "totalled" check which gives them the jeep. You DO NOT have to accept that check or give them your jeep but they might not give you anything if you decline. Talk to your agent and ask them for advice. You pay for this stuff they should work with you.

As for totalling the jeep. They do it because the 'value' of the jeep is less than what the estimated repairs would cost. If the value was $1000 and the paint job was 1100 they would total it. It has nothing to do with safety. Its all about cost. They obviously have poor estimates for the repairs. You might be able to get them to reconsider if you bring them cheaper estimates.

All in all, don't sign anything till you get what you want. It was their fault not yours and they have to put you right.
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you are ok. You need to remove that spare tire and install a pintel on your hitch. They stick out about a foot. Those tires mounted on the rear door always cause more damage than without.
That might not be very good advice, I've spoken to a couple of collision repair guys and they both told me on separate occasions that running a big hitch just increases the chance of frame damage in an accident. They both said the frames like to diamond, that is to say they go out of square, and when you add a big hitch it just adds leverage to the rear end making it easier to damage the frame. I'll take a little tub damage and a tweaked tailgate over a bent frame any day.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
yjhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
and people wonder why your insurance rates are thru the roof....
but in the same breath, people are know to panic in situations like this and feel obligated to sign a release paper before they know for sure that they are ok. i do agree with you that people immediately see dollar signs when minor things like this happen, and abuse it. but i would rather see someone take a few extra months to be sure on their health than live a life of pain and suffering.
yjhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.