They totalled my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > They totalled my TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They totalled my TJ

So,
I got rear ended by an AT&T work truck. Blew out my rear window. hammered my tailgate and tire carrier,bent the tailgate hinges. and dented the rear cross member ( no bumper on at the time ). i know, between a tailgate, hinges, back window used....i could aquire those parts for about 100 bucks and the rear window for probably about 250.

my trucks a 97, clean interior, mint clearcoat. not too many dings.
6 cyl 5 speed with 140k on it.
Mechanically runs beautiful.
Hardtop. Full doors ( have the halfs at home )

Can someone tell me why the $&#* they totalled my truck!?

Also, i know alotta guys here have been through all of this. I obviously arent going to let them take it. Ive got alotta blood and sweat into that truck, Its 100% driveable, and i could probably fix it myself if i really wanted ( minus the paint ).

Is it going to become a salvage? Will they even LET me buy it back ? Ugh. im thoroughly disgusted.

DerekXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bending the rear cross member in even an inch can pull the rear frame together.
Bent frame = totaled, see if you can buy it back from the insurance company.
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah they probably totaled it based on the bent cross member. sounds like a good candidate for a stretch build
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That sucks man, I don't know the in's and out's of it but I think your Jeep is old enough that it won't get a salvage title and I think you'll be able to get it back. Talk to John at Planet Automotive in Patchogue, he is VERY involved with Jeeps and offroad trucks in general and a good, honest mechanic. Take a look at http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/forum.php for a local group of people that might be able to give you better info for the area. Good luck.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I drove the truck back from conneticut 3.5 hours. Truck drove straight as an arrow.

The rear crossmember doesnt have much of a bend, infact. i could probably pull it out myself. Heres a picture.
Sorry about the crappy quality. It was pouring that night.
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
That sucks man, I don't know the in's and out's of it but I think your Jeep is old enough that it won't get a salvage title and I think you'll be able to get it back. Talk to John at Planet Automotive in Patchogue, he is VERY involved with Jeeps and offroad trucks in general and a good, honest mechanic. Take a look at http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/forum.php for a local group of people that might be able to give you better info for the area. Good luck.
Oh man alright. Thanks man. Always good to know of more jeepers on the island.
My girlfirned lives in northport im always up that way. PM me if you wanna get intouch, Ive got a whole crew.
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Take their check, buy it back (yes, they should let you,) repair, have it inspected, and pocket the difference. Silver lining in every cloud.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jebuss, why isn't jeepforum's auto picture resizing working today?

That's a big WIN for your tire carrier imo, slapped the crap outa the guys hood!
As stated above, try and buy it back, some insurance companies wont allow it due to safety but they still take it to an auction. If you can find out where it's being auctioned and they WONT sell it to you then you may be able to buy it back at the auction (stupid I know).
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Jebuss, why isn't jeepforum's auto picture resizing working today?

That's a big WIN for your tire carrier imo, slapped the crap outa the guys hood!
As stated above, try and buy it back, some insurance companies wont allow it due to safety but they still take it to an auction. If you can find out where it's being auctioned and they WONT sell it to you then you may be able to buy it back at the auction (stupid I know).
Yes, that truck was hammered. And it really just boggles my mind the amoutn of body damage i DONT have. and shes totalled.
Have you personally had this happen? where they wouldnt let you keep the truck?
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Dumpy
1972 J-Series Truck 

I was offered $4,400 for my '72 J2000 pickup when I got hit. Just messed up the bed, and they totalled it. Buy back was around $650 so I pocketed the rest, and bought a whole other truck for parts. Make sure AT&T's insurance pays you for Pain and Suffering, too, because fixing your truck is a big PITA (assuming you DID go to the hospital, which would have been the smart thing to do having been rear-ended). Your insurance will probably have a medical claims deal, too. Geico sent me 2 grand for medical bills, on top of the 2 grand from Nationwide for P&S on my part, plus they paid the ER bill to get my head checked out afterwards. nice little $7600 to get things rolling again. I would think in your case, you should get WAY more.
Dumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
rubijosh
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry that happened to you, but it's not a truck... it's a Jeep.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekXJ View Post
Yes, that truck was hammered. And it really just boggles my mind the amoutn of body damage i DONT have. and shes totalled.
Have you personally had this happen? where they wouldnt let you keep the truck?
No but there are "they totaled it" threads on this forum at least 3x a month. Some say the insurance wouldn't let them buy it back, others had no issue buying it back.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
No but there are "they totaled it" threads on this forum at least 3x a month. Some say the insurance wouldn't let them buy it back, others had no issue buying it back.
hm. This is interesting. I will have to just cross my fingers i guess. I;m not lettng them take my JEEP thats for dang sure. I'll just wait on my hood with my 6D maglight until i get a check and papers saying its still mine.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Dumpy
1972 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubijosh View Post
Sorry that happened to you, but it's not a truck... it's a Jeep.
A J2000 is a Jeep. They made full size trucks for 24 years. No need to be snobby
Dumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
rubijosh
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure his jeep is a tj... anyways end of hijack. Hope you get to buy it back and get some nice goodies for it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.