Theft concerns with soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Theft concerns with soft top

Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 04-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
eschelstraete
2015 JK Wrangler 

Theft concerns with soft top

I recently purchased my first Jeep, a 2015 JKU soft top. I'm loving it thus far but some POS tampered with my zip out window. I was at work (parked on second floor of parking garage) and when I left for the day my back driver window was halfway unzipped and Velcro removed. No personal items were taken as apparently the POS didn't want my leaky hot pink rubber wellingtons with horse **** on them that I had stored back there. LOL!!! I will let security know as they do have cameras everywhere but was wondering if there are any after market options for securing zip out windows?

eschelstraete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
nickkick
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are kind lucky that they used the zipper. Usually they would just slash the soft top windows.
I don't think there is much in the way of deterrence for soft tops. Don't leave valuables in a Jeep.
nickkick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
ncb

No options for securing windows. A Tuffy box is a good way to secure the rear storage area. Don't leave any valuables out for a passerby see. Definitely don't leave anything you care about in a Jeep since they seem to be theft targets.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've always left the doors unlocked and nothing valuable in the jeep when I had a soft top on.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
MuttJockey

What he said^^^^. Have owned a number of 'verts from a'61 Sunliner to my current MB CLK. Always leave the doors unlocked-- consoles, compartments, trunk locked. Only vehicle ever broken into was an SUV parked in the carport--broke two windows and got away with a briefcase full of Boy Scout paperwork.
Unread 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are alarms that you could I stall. They actually create a field around your vehicle. Viper comes to mi d
Unread 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
eschelstraete
2015 JK Wrangler 

I have nothing of value in the Jeep. Only thing in there were nasty, horse manure caked, leaky, hot pink rubber boots and a just as junky rain coat. That was it. They clearly could have seen through the windows that those were the only items in it so I guess I'm not sure what they were after since they clearly did not take the junky muck boots or equally junky rain coat. I guess securing the windows would just encourage cutting the windows out. Going forward I will park in the lot next to the building where there is more foot traffic to discourage people from tampering with it and perhaps my next purchase should be a hard top and hoist.
Unread 04-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
Raist11

Yeah, I learned this lesson the hard way. Out of habit I locked my '98 TJ when I first got it, and the center console too. Finally one night at work someone was kind enough to zip out the side rear window (leaving it in the back seat). Unfortunately they were impatient and yanked it towards the end, tearing the zipper apart. Then proceeded to bust open the center console. The end result was I needed a new top and console (never replaced the console).

The best security for a soft top wrangler is doors unlocked and valuables anywhere but in the Jeep. If you can live without an item, it's okay in the Jeep.
Unread 04-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anything I have that is worth anything (stereo, tools, registration, etc) is locked up in my Tuffy console/underseat box/glove box/rear cargo lockbox/speaker boxes.

I keep the doors unlocked in the summer (half doors in the summer) with a security lock on them to prevent someone from taking the doors. I dont have any way to secure the uppers or the zip windows though... I normally leave them at home though, if I know its going to be nice out.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy boxes are the way to go. Do look into them, incase you do need to leave something.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
eschelstraete
2015 JK Wrangler 

Interesting comments. May have to consider a few things here since my Jeep is my DD there are a few things I can't live without...rubber muck boots being numero uno. Glove box is locked at all times and only contains my registration, owners manual and insurance info but obviously some of that also contains personal information such as address which I don't care to share with POS jerks. I'm working on obtaining my concealed weapons permit so I can carry my handgun on my person but won't be able to carry it into work so I may need to rethink that (i.e. leaving it in my center console). I'm sure I will adapt as I have zero interest in parting with my Jeep. I may just need to buy a cheap commuter car for the two days I commute to work but then again it might be cheaper if I just buy a hard top and hoist for it.
Unread 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
eschelstraete
2015 JK Wrangler 

Definitely will look into the Tuffy box. Thanks to all that responded!!! I'm sure my hubby will be thrilled to know that I need to spend even more moolah on my Jeep. LOL!!! I love it though. Best vehicle to date minus the tampering part. That truly is a first for me.
Unread 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^I've got the Tuffy box under my driver's seat. Great place to hold my Glock if need be...

And you'll never get done spending money on your Jeep unless you sell it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
Z-OR

Any DD driver Jeep should be a hardtop. Any soft top is a low.life magnet and will eventually get F.d with.
Z-OR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #15
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I run a Hard top and full doors in the winter and still leave it unlocked. Summer is Soft top and no doors or if they are on it's still unlocked. I'd rather them open the door and poke around and find nothing to steal than smash or cut a window out and find out the same.
Either put in a Tuffy security box for small items or take them with you when you park.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.