Tahoe Owner. Future Jeep owner? Advice Please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Tahoe Owner. Future Jeep owner? Advice Please!

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
whitecar

Tahoe Owner. Future Jeep owner? Advice Please!

Alright, I have an '03 Tahoe in perfect shape but I'm really dreading not having four wheel drive. I want to upgrade to a 4x4 vehicle. Without flaming or anything crazy, should I get another Tahoe (which I love, by the way), or get a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure some of you have had both, so I just wanted to see what you thought about my predicament.

Please give me legit answers, like maybe with reasoning behind the choice...

Thanks!

whitecar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/ok-so-heres-deal-jks-bit-long-read-748005/

check out my thread....its a short review of the new JK model of wrangler. I dont know how much you know about jeeps. but i would definitely recommend a wrangler.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've owned 3 Jeeps now...I don't think I will ever own anything but a Jeep for my 4x4. I have driven a lot of 4 wheel drive vehicles. Everything from Ford to Toyota. Frankly if I didn't own a Jeep it would be a Toyota but I really like Jeeps in general more. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Jeep. Just about the only thing Jeep doesn't have is a pickup anymore but there is a mod to make one if you really need it and have the money to blow. A 2 door or 4 door Wrangler cannot be beat in my honest opinion. Just be ready...once you get a Wrangler or any Jeep for that matter it becomes a money sink. You find one thing...then another...then another...and before you know it your Jeep is a puzzle just waiting for you to buy the pieces and put it together.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
JHamer85
2007 JK Wrangler 

i drove some tahoes on street for one of my jobs for a bit. rode real nice. this was probably in 05 or so, so the tahoes were probably 03 or something...i liked it. don't think i actually got to use it for 4 wheel drive stuff though, though it looked capable

i love my jeep. fresh air is a big thing for me, so convertible soft top is probably all i need to chalk up the win for jeep. and taking the doors off only adds to it. and i gotta love the tremendous amount of customization you can do with it

oh, and the jeep community...they get two thumbs up from me!
JHamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
whitecar

Thanks for the responses! I don't know what I'll end up doing... Who knows...

Thanks again! This is a great community!
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

man can't believe no1 suggested this

test trive a jeep. go to a dealership and tell a salesperson to let you take a test drive around without the top off

then you will be sold
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dunno I got both. 07 Z71 Tahoe and my TJ. Best of both worlds.

I'll never own a 2wd truck. Car, yes. Truck HAS to be 4wd for me.
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The last time Chevy made a decent Tahoe was in 99 when they still used the 5.7L small block (350) motor.

Get the Jeep.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
The last time Chevy made a decent Tahoe was in 99 when they still used the 5.7L small block (350) motor.

Get the Jeep.
very informative. BTW had a '98 2dr. Previously. LOVE the new one. Great ride, power, and a locking rear end.
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
very informative. BTW had a '98 2dr. Previously. LOVE the new one. Great ride, power, and a locking rear end.
95. Two door. Here I am painting the rear tailgate. Very comfortable SUV, loads of torque from the 5.7L.

Its my Father's. I already told him if he ever decides to get another vehicle to ask what a dealership will give him on a trade in, and whatever they offer I'll give him $500 more.

People in my area who have Tahoe's with the 5.3L or the 4.8L engines seem to often have problems.

Only thing that's ever gone wrong with my Father's in 120,000 miles is a water pump.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.

Last edited by Axl Jack; 04-07-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

new and old....only digi pic of the old one.

On topic:

I'd get (and will get) a new 4dr Rubi. That may satisfy you. But know that the two couldn't be much more different. A wrangler will never be as comfortable, powerful, quiet, or spacious as a Tahoe. But I don't find myself excited to drive the Tahoe nearly as often. Dunno what else to say. They're just completely different vehicles.
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
hal2814
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecar View Post
Alright, I have an '03 Tahoe in perfect shape but I'm really dreading not having four wheel drive. I want to upgrade to a 4x4 vehicle. Without flaming or anything crazy, should I get another Tahoe (which I love, by the way), or get a Jeep Wrangler. I'm sure some of you have had both, so I just wanted to see what you thought about my predicament.

Please give me legit answers, like maybe with reasoning behind the choice...

Thanks!
An 03 Tahoe in perfect shape? You should hold onto that. It's one of a kind

On a more serious note, we're missing a bit of info. Why do you want 4WD? Why do you want to switch from a vehicle you love to another vehicle? Are you looking new for both the Wrangler and the Tahoe?

In my opinion, a Wrangler is a very different beast than what you're used to. I'd expect a Tahoe vs. Grand Cherokee thread more than a Tahoe vs. Wrangler one. Take a Wrangler on a test drive on a windy rainy day and see if that's still what you want over a Tahoe. I love Wranglers and you may too but you'd be giving up a LOT of creature comfort. Make sure you're ok with that before you pull the trigger.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No way would I trade my Yukon for a Wrangler, wouldn't even think about it.
540i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
whitecar

Quote:
An 03 Tahoe in perfect shape? You should hold onto that. It's one of a kind
I want just want something 4WD.

Quote:
On a more serious note, we're missing a bit of info. Why do you want 4WD? Why do you want to switch from a vehicle you love to another vehicle? Are you looking new for both the Wrangler and the Tahoe?
I want to be able to go muddin and off-roading. I want to be able to enjoy my vehicle as much as some of my friends do.

Quote:
In my opinion, a Wrangler is a very different beast than what you're used to. I'd expect a Tahoe vs. Grand Cherokee thread more than a Tahoe vs. Wrangler one. Take a Wrangler on a test drive on a windy rainy day and see if that's still what you want over a Tahoe. I love Wranglers and you may too but you'd be giving up a LOT of creature comfort. Make sure you're ok with that before you pull the trigger.
I understand that I would be giving a lot up, but I meant more of an overall comparison, like for offroading and what not. I think I may test drive it. Maybe even on a nasty day. That's actually a great idea.

Thanks! Great post.
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sold my 99 4x4 2 door tahoe, used it to pay for lift wheels and tires for the new to me 06 Rubicon Wrangler. I have not regretted it once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.