Switching gas types? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Switching gas types?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Switching gas types?

Ever since Ive owned my jeep ive put regular gas in it.

I was wondering if its bad for the engine or anything in general to switch from regular to premium every few fill ups, or even every other fill up?

Every time I go wheeling or on long trips Im tempted to fill up with premium for the benefits, But I don't want to spend the extra money every time i fill up for premium.

Thanks JF!

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ever wonder why you only see one gas truck at the gas station? Maybe the gas truck has 3 compartments.. Hmmm its a conspericy i tell you.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure you will see any benefits, but it shouldn't hurt anything.
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Won't hurt your engine, but it could hurt your wallet.

Unless you are getting engine ping, there is no reason to put in higher octane fuel. Premium fuel is for higher compression engines or engines that need higher octane to prevent detonation, and the additional cost is because of the octane enhancer that gets put into premium fuel. The other additives are the same, and usually in the same quantities as the lower octane fuels.

There could be benefit from switching brands, as companies have proprietary additive blends that differ.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
JohnnyWhitehead
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
Won't hurt your engine, but it could hurt your wallet.

Unless you are getting engine ping, there is no reason to put in higher octane fuel. Premium fuel is for higher compression engines or engines that need higher octane to prevent detonation, and the additional cost is because of the octane enhancer that gets put into premium fuel. The other additives are the same, and usually in the same quantities as the lower octane fuels.

There could be benefit from switching brands, as companies have proprietary additive blends that differ.
What he said. There is no benefit from running a higher octane fuel than what is needed. Actually it is just the opposite. It is harder for your engine to burn the fuel properly. Dyno test have proved time and again that running the lowest octane fuel your engine can without pre-ignition (knock) produces higher horsepower and torque ratings. Your 4.0 has a low compression ratio and will run better and more efficiently with 87 octane.

Now, if you can find ethanol free fuel that will benefit your engine and you will see an increase in MPG as well.
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Higher octane fuels give off the best power at higher compression ratios. A stock compression ratio engine is not going to benefit from a higher octane rated gasoline.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Ever wonder why you only see one gas truck at the gas station? Maybe the gas truck has 3 compartments.. Hmmm its a conspericy i tell you.

Most tankers have 4 to 6 compartments.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Higher octane gas prevents engine knock in higher compression engines. It prevents the gasoline from detonating due to compression caused by the upstroke of the piston (see: flash point). There is absolutely no benefit to adding this to your Jeep unless it is required to prevent engine knock.

Source: Thermo-Fluids Design Lab.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
FZY1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if we can run E85 in our JEEPs 4cyl's and 6?
FZY1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Our engines weren't really designed to run on E85, it's a higher octane fuel as well (103). Flex fuel vehicles often average LOWER fuel economy on E85 than they do on gasoline (very likely because the engines were converted to run on E85, rather than desgined to).

If you utilize an engine designed for E85 (you would need a higher compression ratio, something like 14:1) then you would absolutely see the benefits.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
Our engines weren't really designed to run on E85, it's a higher octane fuel as well (103). Flex fuel vehicles often average LOWER fuel economy on E85 than they do on gasoline (very likely because the engines were converted to run on E85, rather than desgined to).

If you utilize an engine designed for E85 (you would need a higher compression ratio, something like 14:1) then you would absolutely see the benefits.
They get less mpg on e85 because there is just less energy in e85. And surprisingly a lot if cars were designed in mind for e85. Since the 90's.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've run premium for half a year then regular for the rest just to see the difference. I found very little difference.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Although not the same engine, 4.2, I had switched from regular gas to premium to see what would happen with my CJ and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. The gas cost more but the mileage I gained made it so worth it. Now that was many years ago and gas was sooo much less than it is today of course.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help everyone.

I might try it out for a few months to get my own opinion. As long as it wont do damage. This has been on my mind for the past year.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I filled up with premium before a trip on accident (about 15 gallons premium to 4 gallons regular). Didn't really notice any difference. Any who here is what the 05 service manual says about premium/ and fuel blends.

Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gas , good , mpg , premium , regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.