Switchbacks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Switchbacks

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
63beetle

Switchbacks

I'm torn between a new wrangler or the unlimited. The unlimited is much more practical for carrying camping gear for 3 people but can it make the switchbacks on trails in Colorado ( like Black Bear for an example)? If we went with the 2 door, I've thought about a Space Trailer to haul gear to the campsite. Thanks.

63beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
TAE73

You can make it with a 4dr fine, just may require several back and fourths to make the turn.
TAE73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

A two door with trailer seems would be harder than a four door without.

Yes the longer wheel base adds to the turning radius. About 9" to the total radius I believe. I find that by driving into a turn a bit deeper (go straight longer) and turning a bit harder it does make even the toughest of tight canyon turns. And if the turn is REAL tight (a two barely makes it) drive straight THROUGH the turn, steer opposite and back up about a foot - then make the turn. For example a hard left - go THROUGH the turn, steer right - back a foot and steer left and go. Harder with a trailer so if in a turn that even would choke a two door - you can get hung real easy.

A few back and turn? I've never needed more than one to turn just as tight as two door! And LOVE the extra room...
Unread 07-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
D700

2014 JK Wrangler 

I just traded my 2 door for a JKU Rubicon. I can get all my gear in and have plenty of space left.

Good luck with your decision
D700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Dynomax_Exhaust
Exhaust Experts!
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've done Black Bear in a 4 door in 2WD low rear.... no issues.
Well I guess having a broken front axle was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63beetle View Post
I'm torn between a new wrangler or the unlimited. The unlimited is much more practical for carrying camping gear for 3 people but can it make the switchbacks on trails in Colorado ( like Black Bear for an example)? If we went with the 2 door, I've thought about a Space Trailer to haul gear to the campsite. Thanks.
Dynomax_Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
bobjp

I did Black Bear in my Jeep with some 4 doors, and they did a lot more backing up than I. I could just swing around the switch backs. It really wasn't that big of a deal though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.