Surfboards - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Surfboards

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
agony1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Surfboards

Does any have a picture or know of a rack to carry a surfboard on top of their Jeep. I want to run without a top but I can't strap the surfboard to the top. Any suggestions?

agony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/surfboard-canoe-rack-pics-435811/

Here's mine.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Stimpdezracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a simple way to transport surfboards. I bought 4 tie-down extenders
and 2 rachet type tie-downs. I also made pads out of a couple old rolled up tee shirts and duct tape.
Loop the extenders around your main roll bar hoop and then again on your window bars. Place pads on window frame and main hoop. Place board/boards on pads then hook tie downs to extenders and sinch down.
This works topless or with a bikini top. I have tons of miles including a many Baja trip like this. I've had everything from a 5'10'' fish to 9'0'' comp longboards on my jeep without a problem.

Stay Stoked

Stimp
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah with out the top i just throw it on the roll cage and strap it down. with the top on its a little more difficult but i strap it to the rool cage inside the jeep and jsut roll the back window up. it all depends on the size board you have. mines only a 7'3 so it barely fits inside, but on top its no problem
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's mine. I fabbed a front bar with some thin wall pipe and extra windshield light mounting brackets. With some padded covers it is just high enough for the boards to clear the windshield and the rear of the boards strap down to the rack pads. The photo shows it with the hard top on but you get the picture.

wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

used to just throw them up there and strap them down. realized i haven't done this in awhile. i can see the water from my house.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
agony1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I think I'm going to have to fab something up using all your suggestions. Thanks again.
agony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
used to just throw them up there and strap them down. realized i haven't done this in awhile. i can see the water from my house.
must be nice. i was in oahu last november. didnt surf north shore but did surf kaneohe bay right there at the marine base, wish i could just do that almost everyday. havent seen water so clean
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.