Stroker Regrets???? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stroker Regrets????

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #46
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
What caused you to have wiring issues?
I used the 4.2 body harness. So I had to splice in the tail lights and turn signals. I also broke the starter rod in the steering column so I had to make it a push button start. I also put in an taurus electric fan so I wire that too. I really had no wiring experience before I tackled this.

90islander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #47
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The biggest problem strokers have had is the piston coming out of the bottom of the bore too far. This causes excessive wear at the bottom of the bore and is probably responsible for most of the busted engines.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #48
Brentmo

I did put a HT383 stroker crate motor in my 98 Chevy K1500 to replace the stock 350 that spun a bearing at 140K. Rebuilt the tranny at the same time and replaced the gov lok diff with an eaton posi-traction. It was the best thing ever! It's the engine the truck should have come with from the factory. It moves out, never lacks for more gas pedal if/when needed, and you just can't floor it because you don't want to go that fast, anywhere. Durability? Was my daily driver for three years until I bought a JK Wrangler. So now it's the towing, hauling, and long distance highway trip rig. It's been 8 years and 110,000 miles and the motor is strong as ever. Passes California smog every time, they don't even know it's in there. I do put premium in it, and city mileage is 10-12mpg depending how hard I lean into it (can't help myself), but highway mileage gets better the faster I cruise, up to 20mpg. All I can figure is the torque is so great, air resistance just isn't a limiting factor at reasonable highway speeds.
Brentmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #49
UtChaz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
Strokers generally dont last as long because of the longer stroke, its very hard on the rod bearings.... It is most commonly cheaper to swap in a V8. Besides who wants a stroker over a V8?
Generally, it falls on us people in Emission's Strict states to resort to building what is legal. I would have found a Ford New 5.0 and put it in but Utah says I can't because I live in a country that requires the exact same motor to replace the one it had originally; that was straight out of the mouth of the State Referee before I canned the V-8 idea.
UtChaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #50
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How would they know that you changed the engine? Do they look under the hood?
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #51
UtChaz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hell yes they look under the hood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
How would they know that you changed the engine? Do they look under the hood?
They most certainly do. The inspect the VIN # on the vehicle and then the engine to see if all matches. Not to mention, here in Utah, the inspector is being video taped, with the recorded located elsewhere away at a central recording station ran by the Emissions People, while they do the tests and so on and so forth. No way of cheating, even if the inspector would risk their job and shop...
UtChaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #52
Brentmo

My 2 cents: Axl Jack gives a great geometry lesson, but really only applies to define the limits of stroking a motor. Stay inside the limits and there is plenty of room for useful improvement. In this case, the stroker 4.7 litre uses the crank and rods of the 4.2, A motor well known for its torque and durability and proven by its long production run and large numbers still on the road twenty years later. The 4.0 block is essentially the same, but has a wider bore (how we get to 4.7 just by adding a 4.2 crank) so there is even more clearance for the rod angles generated by the 4.2 crank than it had in it's original motor. We're not talking extremes here, just a happy coincidence of interchable parts with proven durability.
I have a California Chevy K1500 with an HT383 stroker crate motor. It has the same heads as the original 350 so it uses all the stock intake and injection components. The stock ECM was reprogrammed for the stroker. The only giveaway at our stringent CA biennial smog checks is that it has a set of Gale Banks headers. They immediately look for the CARB sticker designating they are certified smog legal in CA. Other than that have never clued in there was anything different about the motor. Lots of cars have replacement motors and they don't "match the numbers." In 9 years, I've put 110,000 towing miles on it in and it still puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. At this point, it seems it will outlive the truck.
I just purchased a 288 (4.7) stroker for my Eagle restoration from S&J Engines in Spokane. I'll let you know how much fun it is or isn't when I get to drive it.
Brentmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #53
XJ2CJ
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtChaz View Post
They most certainly do. The inspect the VIN # on the vehicle and then the engine to see if all matches. Not to mention, here in Utah, the inspector is being video taped, with the recorded located elsewhere away at a central recording station ran by the Emissions People, while they do the tests and so on and so forth. No way of cheating, even if the inspector would risk their job and shop...
I may have missed it, but where is the vin on the engine? I talked to one of the cali places and they said it just has to have everything for the year the engine is out of. I'm planning a stock setup as far as would be visually identifiable, that or move to a state that doesn't care so long as it passes the sniffer.
XJ2CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.