Stroker Regrets???? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stroker Regrets????

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
yj-jeeper94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

~ Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
~ Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
~ Speed Pro 677P standard bore pistons
~ 9.05:1 CR
~ Stock 4.0 HO camshaft
~ Stock HO cylinder head
~ Stock 0.051" head gasket
~ 0.097" quench height
~ 2.25" exhaust
~ Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
226hp @ 4600rpm, 304lbft @ 2000rpm

i have plenty of questions since im going to be doing a stroker build also. i would like to make it last as long as possible as the vehicle is my daily driver. i do not abuse my engines so with that being said i would like to make this engine a good reliable motor that will last a good while. my stock 4.0l ho right now has 211xxx miles on it and is finally starting to get a bad head gasket.

those plans above are just a plan i found online. and i wanted to know if that would be a decent build. im not trying to spend amillion dollars on the build, but also would like to run like 87 octane. the lower the compression the better chance i have at runing low octane fuel without a problem(hopefully)

if anyone has info or has done the 4.5 stroker i would like to hear what you have to say

yj-jeeper94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #32
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did a 4.6 stroker about a year and a half ago. my spedos off but right now it says i have 17,000 miles on the new motor and im guessing closer to 20,000. I have no regrets. Except when im too heavy on the skinny one and destroy the spider gears. 3 times and counting lol
kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't worry. Your stroker motor is not going to explode despite what you hear on the internet.
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you axl jack very good info,I am in the process of building a stroker for my daily driver.I just wish those that have strokers in their rigs would chime in an give their opion.
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

you will find alot more info over on jeepstrokers.com. when i was building mine i found almost all my info over there.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #36
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbowhntr View Post
...I just wish those that have strokers in their rigs would chime in an give their opion.
I completed my 4.6 build 13 months ago and have about 15K miles on the engine now. I'm quite happy with the results. There is a definite difference in power. Part of my build decision was to go with higher compression which requires higher octane fuel. That sucks when I'm at the pump (13.5 mpg) but overall I'm happy with it.

I guess that since strokers are only good for 20K I should start gathering parts for a rebuild.
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #37
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How much compression did you go with,I am trying to be around 9.1 compression
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #38
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbowhntr View Post
How much compression did you go with,I am trying to be around 9.1 compression
It's around 11:1. Some will say that this shouldn't need premium but with low or mid grade it would knock pretty bad esp. under a load. With premium it doesn't have any knocking.
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #39
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

im also running 11:1. It will ping under heavy load and on the highway in 5th depending if the gas is a little old i guess. Im sure with some porting and a different quench height and stuff i could get it to go away but it only happens once in a while so i dont worry too much. maybe a colder set of plugs?
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkchevy3 View Post
im also running 11:1. It will ping under heavy load and on the highway in 5th depending if the gas is a little old i guess. Im sure with some porting and a different quench height and stuff i could get it to go away but it only happens once in a while so i dont worry too much. maybe a colder set of plugs?
What octane are you running?
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

premium. whats that 93 right? i honestly notice it more with hess gas. When i get gas from the local USA gas station here it doesnt do it.
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #42
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...it only happens once in a while so i dont worry too much. maybe a colder set of plugs?
Any pinging is usually too much pinging unless you like the things like damaged pistons, damaged cylinder head, and/or damaged valves.

The most common causes are too low of an octane, carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber, a lean air/fuel mixture, and advanced ignition timing. Going a step colder on the plugs can sometimes help.

Quote:
premium. whats that 93 right? ...
Most places 93 is the highest you can get. There are a couple of places around here with 94 and until recently you could get 97 at one place.
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #43
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a wideband o2 sensor and everything is running alright with it. It's only happens like once a month if that
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #44
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I built my first stroker about a year ago. I have no regrets so far. It has done everything i wanted it to do both on and off road. There are a lot of little things that many online builds don't take into account. Wiring was probably the thing i had the most difficult time with. Although if I you just get all the correct harnesses you don't have to deal with that.

I am also running 11:1 compression. I use mid grade gas with no pinging. I took it on its first long trip over Christmas Flagstaff to Tuscon. I got 17 mpg, was expecting much less.
90islander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #45
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90islander View Post
...Wiring was probably the thing i had the most difficult time with. Although if I you just get all the correct harnesses you don't have to deal with that. ...
What caused you to have wiring issues?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.