Stroker Regrets???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stroker Regrets????

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
droz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

just seen in the latest truck trend jeep is releasing its own factory 4.7 liter stroker. 265 hp and 290 torque, unfortunately they did not give any further info or any websites to get further info on the motor

droz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post

I was considering stroking a 302 out to a 347...
The Mustang guys call them "oil burners."
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna ago out on a limb here and make a guess that all these questions are probably answered at

Jeep Strokers • Homepage
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
I'm gonna ago out on a limb here and make a guess that all these questions are probably answered at

Jeep Strokers • Homepage
You mean the same website I previously listed seven posts above?
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
motostyle

Axl Jack....

Thanks for the info...definitely got some reading to do on those sites.
motostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

there is a ton of people running strokers on this forum. i know there are plenty who are over 20,000 miles. theres even a supercharged stroker with an aluminum head (Reelm N Rubi), his put 200 hp/315 ft-lbs to the ground on 35s. If any 4.0L stroker is pushed to the max, its his. GOLENJEEPTJ has a Golen stroker as well. And if you call Hesco, they'll tell you all the information you need to know about stroker reliability, durability and longevity. Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service. From what I understand, crank, cam and rod choice is key. Hesco has all that figured out.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Which issue did you see this in?
May 2010 in the "Your Jeep" section. "But I've not personally seen a Jeep with one that has gone over 20K miles"

I read it as "I haven't seen any with more than 20,000 on them" and not as "I've seen them all blow up before 20,000"
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro View Post
May 2010 in the "Your Jeep" section. "But I've not personally seen a Jeep with one that has gone over 20K miles"

I read it as "I haven't seen any with more than 20,000 on them" and not as "I've seen them all blow up before 20,000"
Thanks much for the info!

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #24
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
And if you call Hesco, they'll tell you all the information you need to know about stroker reliability, durability and longevity. Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service. From what I understand, crank, cam and rod choice is key. Hesco has all that figured out.
Let me first state that I don't disagree that strokers are perfectly reliable and can (and do) last 200K miles.

Not to divert the subject of the thread, but of course if you call somebody who's trying to SELL you something they will tell you what a good product it is. Ford told everyone that the Pinto was a great automobile. ProComp probably told everyone who called how great their springs flex. Shall I go on?

Unbiased opinions help.... after all, isn't that one of the primary functions of the General Discussion section on this forum? (ex: Should I get RE or Pro Comp?)
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #25
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It was the may edition of jp mag in the "your jeep" section where you can write in questions in the back. The question was intitled, "stroker poker". Personaly, I don't want a V-8, or a stroker in my jeep. I did a performance build on my 258 that gives me all the power and lowend that I need in my jeep, it's not a race car, or meant to be. The real secert to off road power is gears. Gears are the torque multiplier that gets the power to the wheels. With the right gears a 4 cylinder can climb tree's. With the combo of the right gears and lowend torque like the jeep 258, or 4.0 has and they make an awesome off road machine. Just a blurp of the throttle and it snaps your neck back and they run forever. On my 258 I installed a holley 470 TA 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, rollor rockers, 4.0 head, header, holley fuel regulator, hei, MSD, 4:10 gears and 32X11.50 tires. This gives me all the power I need off road and is fun on the street, but isn't over powered for it's size and weight to the point where it's dangerous. I would of went with 4:56 or 4:88 gears , but since 90% of my driving is on the street, I didn't want to totally kill my topend or mpg. What I have works really well for what I use my jeep for.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #26
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

"O", by the way, the pinto's were a great car, I've had 4 of them I wish I had at least one of them back. They were good for there time and I never had a gas tank explode. Never flipped a CJ-5 over on the street either. The media has killed some great vehicles over the years. If we listened to everything the media said, we would all be driving toyota's, "well", maybe not anymore ha ha!!
Unread 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #27
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Not to divert the subject of the thread, but of course if you call somebody who's trying to SELL you something they will tell you what a good product it is. Ford told everyone that the Pinto was a great automobile. ProComp probably told everyone who called how great their springs flex. Shall I go on?

Unbiased opinions help....
you obviously haven't called Hesco or Golen Engines before. Believe it or not, there are companies out there that you can call and get good honest advice.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #28
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like with many things the farther you go from factory spec, the more risk, and the more things you need to compensate. I think some people really underestimate what the factory engineers do and how much they've tested. They evaluate lots of potential changes in all sorts of driving situations, all sorts of climate situations, and high mileage situations and there is often a reason why some mods weren't done from the factory.

Often when the factory does a long stroke they raise the top of the block instead of shortening the rods (the old slant 6's were like that, you could visually tell a 170 from a 225 just by looking at how tall the block was).

This is not to say 'don't modify', but is a reminder that there are no 'quick fixes'. To work well lots of issues need to be considered.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Broncbuster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Being a former machinist/ engine builder on a Pro Stock team I have built allot of strokers. I have one currently in my Pontiac racecar. There are allot of pros and cons to a stroker but engine design plays a big part.
Strokers intentions are torque. The longer the arm the more the torgue. Side loading of the pistons is one of the cons but not as bad on the I6 than the 90degree V8's. You also have to change the rod length and pin height of the piston. Moving the pin up closer to the ring lands moves the piston down. On some engines it makes the piston weaker. When buying a stroker buy from a reputable company that can do the math if you cannot.
There is a whole lot more to getting max power out than adding a stroker kit. Figure the RPM range you will be using this in and match ALL parts accordingly. I have seen people add stroker kits to enignes and actually slow down due to the fact that either the intake tract or exhaust was too restrictive for the new amount of air produced. Next camshaft profile plays a huge role in ths as well. Call companies like Comp, Bullet and Lunati to see what they would recomend after you give them all the info I.E.Comp Ratio, Gearing, Tire Size, RPM's used and weight of the vehicle. Off the shelfs cams that are intended for "everyone" are not always the best.

Remember an engine is an air pump. It needs to inhale and exhale with no restrictions but also needs to keep velocity.

Last edited by Broncbuster; 03-28-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #30
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Broncbuster, I think that was well said. Building a proper stroker is a science and takes alot of home work. Cam profile is very important and will vary between vehicles depending on need and use and other factors come in to play.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.