Stroker Regrets???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stroker Regrets????

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
motostyle

Stroker Regrets????

Not sure if this is the right forum....however...just curious if anyone has done a straight-6 stroker and regretted not swapping a v8, diesel, or gone with forced induction of any kind?

Your reasons (big or small) and why would be greatly appreciated.

motostyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
mouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dude I'll bump this one for ya cuz i want to know too...
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

X3. I saw the stroker build on Trucks! which was rather interesting.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

JP mag says they haven't seen a stroker get over 20,000 miles on them. Thier pushing the 505 performance 5.0 stroker as it's done in such away it will last.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to see some responses on this...ive always been curious on doing a stroker

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
hvacguy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
JP mag says they haven't seen a stroker get over 20,000 miles on them. .
reckon why that is?
hvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
rkwfxd
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I read it as, they had not seen a stroker with over 20,000 miles because they were all recent rebuilds not that they had all blown up by 20,000 miles.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
I read it as, they had not seen a stroker with over 20,000 miles because they were all recent rebuilds not that they had all blown up by 20,000 miles.
Probably true, being that most people who invest that much time, money, and effort into something generally don't try to put a bunch of miles on it afterwards. I would think that they become "weekend toys" at that point, for most.

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Strokers generally dont last as long because of the longer stroke, its very hard on the rod bearings.... It is most commonly cheaper to swap in a V8. Besides who wants a stroker over a V8?

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
Strokers generally dont last as long because of the longer stroke, its very hard on the rod bearings.... It is most commonly cheaper to swap in a V8. Besides who wants a stroker over a V8?
No way that most V-8 swaps are cheaper than a stroker rebuild, unless you are swapping in a used motor/tranny and getting a lot of custom fit parts for free. A V-8 swap entails a considerable amount of custom work: Wiring, exhaust, linkages, mounts, and potentially TC relocation and driveshaft mods to fit, among many other "smaller" things. Most people would want to have a freshly built V-8 too, not cheap....

A stroker rebuild is just that, a rebuild of an already compatible motor, -now with more stroke. Sure it will take some more fuel and air once it starts breathing deeper, but that just takes tuning and/or upgrading of existing parts.

I agree that strokers are harder on both rod and main bearings, and that there may not be a huge quality aftermarket for them in jeep strokers. But I would still expect a stroker to easily outlast 20K miles if the main cap design could support it. (and if the motor wasn't constantly flogged everywhere it went)

All that being said, I can see advantages in both and I will be doing a Ford 5.0 swap myself someday in mine (it's a 2.5)

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think the only regret somebody would have, if they bought a stroker from a certain re-manufacturer, is if their Jeep is their DD and now have to run higher octane fuel. (Read the fine print on a lot of websites.... says their stroker engines have to run on 92 octane because of the higher compression ratios.) So yeah you're getting a lot more power (and fun), but now not only are you getting worse gas mileage, but you have to fill it up with more expensive fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell
JP mag says they haven't seen a stroker get over 20,000 miles on them.
Sometimes stroker's aren't as durable. Now, that's not to say, "Oh my God! A stroker will wear down after 10,000 miles." Let me explain. (Hmmmm, let me do some Googling here.)

Its mostly about rod ratio (rod to stroke ratio). Rod Ratio = (rod length / stroke) This little calculation tells you the motor's rod angularity. A LOW rod ratio means a HIGH rod angle. A high rod angle creates a greater potential for accelerated wear to cylinder walls, pistons, and piston rings (picture an extremely low rod ratio that is driving the piston into the side of the cylinder wall). For example, a motor with a 5.400" rod length and a 3.000" stroke yields a rod ratio of 1.8:1. If we maintain the same stroke and shorten the rod length to 5.000" we get a 1.7:1 rod ratio. The rod angle has increased.

The picture on the left is Low Rod Angle (or High Rod Ratio) and the picture on the right is High Rod Angle (or Low Rod Ratio). The bottom picture is just there as an extra visual aid.

By lengthening the rod (as stroke is increased) you can offset the increased rod angle. But this requires further shortening of the piston. The further the piston is shortened the more likely the piston pin will intersect the oil ring groove, creating a potential for increased oil consumption.

Basically, there comes a point when you cannot shorten the piston any further before dependability is compromised.

The consensus, from what I've read, among engine manufacturers is that a ratio of 1.50" is the lowest acceptable rod ratio for a street motor. Realistically, rod ratios between 1.65 - 1.80 are ideal. (Maybe this has a lot to do why the 4.0L engines are so long lasting. Their rod ratio is 1.794)

When I was originally researching this topic, it was for my 68 Mustang ----> Insert lame bragging picture here: (Don't mind the skinny-ness. I was 16 at the time.)

I was considering stroking a 302 out to a 347. A stock 302 has a rod ratio of 1.696:1 ------- A 347 would put the block at a 1.588:1 ratio. So I actually decided against stroking out the engine because I was more concerned with durability than power. (Actually I went with a 289, but thats a different story. Long story short, I was "persuaded" by my parents to save money for college. And by "persuaded" I mean "Listen to me or else.")

So.....

A stock 4.0L (241.5 cubic inches; 3.875" bore) has a 6.123" rod and a stroke of 3.413" so its rod ratio is 1.794

A stock 4.2L (258 cubic inches, right?) has a 5.875" rod and a 3.895" stroke so its rod ratio is 1.508.

As you already know, most guys who build their own "poor man's" stroker out of the 4.0L get the 3.895" stroke crankshaft from the 4.2L engine. On a 4.0L engine with the stock 6.123" rods and 3.875" bore, the stroker crank increases displacement to 276ci (4.5L). This gives a rod ratio of (6.123 / 3.895) = 1.572.

There are many ways to get around a "bad" rod ratio, but with them comes increased cost. Here's some real good stroker information. Definitely Google around and read up:
Jeep Stroker Motor Information

Jeep Strokers • Dynamic\Static Compression Ratio Calculator

From Junker to Stroker
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
JP mag says they haven't seen a stroker get over 20,000 miles on them. Thier pushing the 505 performance 5.0 stroker as it's done in such away it will last.
Which issue did you see this in?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What is the rod ratio of a 400 Chevy small block? They get 100,000 out of them easily. And in theory a 6 cylinder engine balances easier than a v8.
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great info Axle Jack. Any idea on the rod ratio of the 2.5L four cylinder?

Not that I'd stroke out a 2.5Lbut curious about longevity.
Unread 03-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
What is the rod ratio of a 400 Chevy small block? They get 100,000 out of them easily. And in theory a 6 cylinder engine balances easier than a v8.
Here you go: Chevy small block rod ratios
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.