stolen doors and wheels frequency? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > stolen doors and wheels frequency?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

stolen doors and wheels frequency?

My better 1/2 and I was looking at a used TJ and the owner said that he had his doors stolen while he was eating dinner. Question came up b/c he has a metal 'cap' over the top of the hinge to keep the door hing from being lifted up, now must unbolt the torx bolts.

He went on to say he has had his wheels/tires stolen too.

Questions: Is this a frequent problem? I'm looking at buying a jeep and now the misses wonders if it is wise?

John

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had my soft doors stolen off one of my CJ7s back in the early ‘90s. Considering my 5 Jeep 24 year history that’s not bad.

Most doors even the soft ones are lockable these days and there are products available to help you keep your doors secure. I wouldn’t waste your worries on the doors and wheels getting stolen. But it is possible to have your stuff stolen. Opportunity and location are always a variable.

I wouldn't say it's common though, for the most part. In a community this big I'm sure there are some with stories of theft and loss

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't had anything stolen yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time before my number is up. Waiting for the day my soft doors go missing. I don't really have anything else on/in the Jeep worth taking, and anything that might be worth something to someone is locked up securely.

If you are concerned about theft of expensive parts, let alone the whole Jeep, I would suggest getting comprehensive coverage even if the Jeep is old. I have a $100 comprehensive deductible on my 21 yr old Jeep just for the piece of mind in case of stolen parts or damage unrelated to a car accident (already made use of it due to damage caused by my own stupidity ). At least with AAA, using the comprehensive coverage won't affect your future rate or deductible. Either way you eventually get used to the fact that you could walk out to you Jeep and find something gone.

Not having a secure vehicle for a DD does require a change in lifestyle, or the addition of secure storage (which takes up space in an already small vehicle). If the Jeep won't be a DD, then not so much a concern I suppose. Tuffy makes a wide range of security products just for Jeeps, other companies make similar knock-offs of Tuffy products.

Frozen Torx bolts also do a pretty good job at deterring thieves.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a good alarm with a white siren (very big and loud siren) preferably one with a pager. Don't forget to also buy a device that locks the brake pedal in place. With these two items installed no one will waste their time with your ride.
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You've got to look at where you live. I spent some time in the STL area several years back. I wouldn't leave a bag of broken glass unattended in many areas of that town if I had further use for that glass.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.