Stereo wattage affect volume? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stereo wattage affect volume?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
bidderbl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stereo wattage affect volume?

I have a 99 wrangler and i am upgrading my speakers and plan to upgrade my deck as well. what i don't know is the wattage necessary for that deck. Since i want to pump through the loudest it can be, i expect the wattage comes into play. I also don't want to install an amp. i see everything from 30watt max to 15 X 4channel to 60 watts/channel and beyond. I am not a big audio guy and am not looking to build some crazy pimped out jeep. I am an old man that listens to country music and talk radio and just want to be able to hear it. I have added some front facing speakers to the dash to avoid getting a soundbar 3 inches from my head.
Thank you

bidderbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Upgrading all 4 of the speakers and installing a new deck is the best that can be done. It's not going to be crazy loud, but you should be able to hear it just fine.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're not an old man and you don't have a V4 as there is no such thing. Infact you do not even have a V6. To answer your questions, Yes wattage effects volume. More watts equals louder sound. You buy speakers to match the output of the head unit. So if your head unit produces 60 watts max then your speakers should handle atleast that amount.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know what the specs are on your speakers? As said above, you match the head unit output to the speakers. With that said, speakers have 2 ratings: Peak and RMS. Most advertised wattage is PEAK, which you will likely never experience. You really want to look at the RMS wattage.

A 30W head unit is actually a 4 x 7.5W (30divided by 4). A 60W is a 4 x 15W. If you find that your speakers have an RMS rating of 15W or higher, you can get an inline, mini, amp. Alpine makes a nice one. It's plug and play with their head units. I put one in on my son's ZJ and it worked our really well. It's a true 60W RMS unit. To mount it, you tuck it behind the dash in the void.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
You're not an old man and you don't have a V4 as there is no such thing. Infact you do not even have a V6. To answer your questions, Yes wattage effects volume. More watts equals louder sound. You buy speakers to match the output of the head unit. So if your head unit produces 60 watts max then your speakers should handle atleast that amount.
You might want to google V4 engines. They do exist however they are not common. They are normally used in pumps and generators.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
You might want to google V4 engines. They do exist however they are not common. They are normally used in pumps and generators.
REALLY!! Letís be real. We are talking about JEEPs here, not generators and pumps.
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
REALLY!! Letís be real. We are talking about JEEPs here, not generators and pumps.
Point is your statement was wrong. You said there was no such thing as a V4 and there is.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Point is your statement was wrong. You said there was no such thing as a V4 and there is.
Get real dude. We are on a JEEP Forum. My statement was correct. No such thing as a V4 in a JEEP. If you can post a pic of a V4 in a JEEP that would be great. Otherwise STFU!!!!
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
ss44camaro
2013 JK Wrangler 

Don't think to hard about it. As someone mentioned already only look at rms power on the speakers and HU. Most decent HU are going to be 15-17 watts x 4 channels. Most aftermarket speakers are 30+ watts. It ok to under power them so hook it up with no amp and keep it below 80% volume or just where it is not distorting and you won't have an over heat issue. Only other thing you need to look at is most HU are 4ohm so buy 4 ohm speakers or if your HU is different match the ohm to the speakers(this is more important than watts). Amazon of course, eBay, are good to shop. I usually buy my stuff at woofersetc.com
ss44camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
bidderbl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure i understand the hijack part of the thread, but thank you to everyone who responded. It was very helpful and i got it all squared away.
bidderbl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidderbl View Post
I am not sure i understand the hijack part of the thread, but thank you to everyone who responded. It was very helpful and i got it all squared away.
Glad you got it all straight. What solution did you go with?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Old, Young, V4/6/12 or a W3, flame off!

Get the most wattage you can afford. The volume is controlled by the little knob on the left but the clarity is determined by the wattage as long as the speakers are OK. Putting front speakers are a good idea. Make them at least a two way with internal crossover, three ways are better. Talk radio and most country isn't bass dependant and in fact too much bass on voice muddies it. I bought a pair of marine box speakers that I mounted low on the rollbar behind the seats also. Having a decent surround envelope will make it easier to hear in high interference areas like an open Jeep.
By getting the extra wattage you can leave the volume lower and not push the amp past it's sweet spot and still have it loud enough to hear. I know you've heard the teen new drivers cranking their parents minivan so hard you can't make out more than a general beat, more crackle and hiss that anything else.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.