Steel rims vs Alloy Rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Steel rims vs Alloy Rims

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
oaklane
2007 JK Wrangler 

Steel rims vs Alloy Rims

Just curious what drivers thoughts are on having steel rims or alloy rims. I personally have black alloy rims - Pro Comp Extreme.
  1. Steel or Alloy?
  2. What is your preference and why?
  3. What do you have them on?

Thank you for input.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...y%20Addiction/

Unread 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

im going alloy.. since there lighter.. i would go steel.. but just cant take the extra weight.. and steels are way cheaper.. and alloy is pricey..

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Steel here. I wanted black wheels and didn't want to spring the $$$ for black alloys. They are heavier but I don't really notice it unless I have to get the spare of my carrier. Plus if I mash one up, it's cheap to replace.
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steel. I find that steel wheels are not only cheaper, but they come in more designs that I like compared to alloys. Now if this were the 70's/80's/early 90's, then I'd be more inclined to go with Alloys, they had such cool designs back in the day!
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Steel. I run Cragar Soft 8's. I like the look of black, they are cheap and can easily be replaced.

If anyone is considering getting alloy's, I always recommend getting 4 alloy's, and why not 1 cheap steel as your spare.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

i love black wheels too.. but they havent came out with much 17x9 black steelies... so im going with the MT Sidebiter black alloys..

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
NotOfThisWorld
2006 KJ Liberty 

I run steels, but may switch to allow when I have the chance because they balance easier... allegedly.
Blue Jeep Club Member #151
Arizona Jeep Club Founder
NotOfThisWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOfThisWorld View Post
I run steels, but may switch to allow when I have the chance because they balance easier... allegedly.
I hear you. I have had nothing but trouble getting my steel wheels with BFG A/Ts balanced. They finally did a good job after a year and a half but I have weights on both sides of my rim. I hate the look of the lead weights on the black rims.
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

well... my alloy wheels with my 35 KM2s took forever to balance.. so its not always true.. plus.. i heard theres not point on balancing a tire if there 35+

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have alloy on mine right now but am going back to steel because of the isue of breakage on the trail , you break a chunk out of alloy on the trail and your screwed , you bend the steel you beat it back down with hammer and air tire back up and you're on the way
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Black Steel. American Racing 767s on the YJ and the TJ.

4" backspace 15x8 on the YJ, with 35" TRUXXUS MT, and 4.75" backspace 15x8 on the TJ with 30x9.5 road tires (it's my street Jeep). I'll put some 31s on the TJ with a small lift when the tires wear out.

Pete
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
I hear you. I have had nothing but trouble getting my steel wheels with BFG A/Ts balanced. They finally did a good job after a year and a half but I have weights on both sides of my rim. I hate the look of the lead weights on the black rims.
One of the benefits of getting your tires at a reputable tire store is alot of them offer free unlimited balancing and rotations with the purchase of a set of tires. I have them re-balance and rotate my tires at least three times/year. I run black steel D-window wheels. I hate the weights on them also, but a take a wide black permanent marker and color them!
TJDaveX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
I hate the weights on them also, but a take a wide black permanent marker and color them!
That's a heck of an idea. .......now where is my sharpie.....

Thanks
Pete
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
tj70
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have alloys and they look nice but they will not hold up in major offroad situations. maybe light muddin but rock crawlin no way.
tj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
One of the benefits of getting your tires at a reputable tire store is alot of them offer free unlimited balancing and rotations with the purchase of a set of tires. I have them re-balance and rotate my tires at least three times/year. I run black steel D-window wheels. I hate the weights on them also, but a take a wide black permanent marker and color them!
Yep, I get mine rotated and balanced for free at the local store I bought them at. I don't think you'd ever catch me ordering tires online!

I have been meaning to spray paint the weights or hit them with the sharpie but I'm lazy and the Jeep has been filthy with the snow/mud we've been getting.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.