Stealership part prices - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Stealership part prices

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps View Post
Aren't most of the dealership parts made in china as well? Everything from everywhere is garbage and overpriced now a days. ( well almost everything)
no REALLY come on people!!!!

they are made in Mexico...... closer less freight cost...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Aren't most of the dealership parts made in china as well? Everything from everywhere is garbage and overpriced now a days. ( well almost everything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
no REALLY come on people!!!!

they are made in Mexico...... closer less freight cost...
Yep most OEM parts are either made in Mexico,Canada,or the US.
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

$110.00 For each backing plate for my dana turdy five. So after my foolish newb dumb *** mistake of buying them i realized i could have bought an 8.8 for about that price.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a potential factor. The manufacturer has to deal with reputation over the life of the vehicle. True, they screw up sometimes but Autozone can get away with a water pump that is good for 3 years because most of their customers won't even have the car by that time, but the manufacturer can't afford to put 3 year water pumps in the car without disastrous PR down the road (as well as the potential for a government mandated recall).

There is another factor as well. Many of the low cost aftermarket parts are basically copied off the mfgrs parts. They don't have access to the original drawings and specifications they don't have access to the subtle problems that the manufacturer solved through material choice or process (heat treat etc). They just superficially copy the part. Now the premium after market outfits do better. They may license the drawings, they also may apply a lot of their own engineering to improving on the manufacturer's design... but they're not cheap either.

Some stuff is over priced, but for critical parts, you may want to consider OEM or premium aftermarket.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

I don't know, guess I'm just irritated at the stealership. Brought my gf Hyundai in cuz warranty is almost up and the tranny was shifting late/early random downshifting. 3 days and $140 later thru tell me nothing, but put 4miles on the car. Within an hour two friends on Facebook (over the intraweb) diagnosed possibilitys to look at. Hmm if you ask me. Well warranty is done and so am I with the dealership atleast.
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #21
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Quite frankly I am annoyed at this. "Outrageous stealership prices!!!!"

WHAT THE **** DO YOU EXPECT coming from the company that makes the vehicle?????? You expect some cheap chinese made pile of crap that likely won't last as long? You get what you pay for in this economy.

It really bugs those of us that actually work at a dealership. how do you expect us to get paid, hmm? Support the american economy, not the chinese thriving economy.
I think chinese rubber is the same as american rubber, my post was about a $68 bump stop, I was expecting it to be a couple dollars more expensive then Quadratec and I would save money because I don't have to pay shipping.

I don't know what you do at the dealership, but I also work at a dealership. I am detail so I don't deal with the parts department but dealerships are a joke.

The dealer ship I work at wanted $1200 to put 4 tires on an older kia, this was for the dealership to put it up on the lot one of the sales guys took it to discount tire and got 4 brand new tires for $400.

Our 2005 Dodge Durango (under extended warranty) droped into 4 low in a parking lot with out me shifting it and I could not get it out. We had it towed to the dealer, and that night I googled the problem turns out to be a somewhat common problem with the transfer case shift motor. The dealer ship test drove it and said I am crazy and there is nothing wrong with the Durango, that night sitting in the drive way we hear it try to shift into 4 low with the keys no where near it and no one in it, we take it back told them and on the way their the 4 low light was flashing like it was trying to shift but won't shift at 40mph into 4 low. I told the parts guy I think it is the transfer case shift motor, he gave a big 2 minute speach about how Google is wrong and makes everyone feel like a mechanic, ego trip because the 18 year old is telling him how to do his job. So they replace the computer in it even though they could not replicate the problem, within a block of leaving the dealer ship it trys to shift into 4 low we take it back tell them and they reluctantly take it after we tell them it would be really unfortunate if it shifted into 4 low at 60mph towing a 3200lb boat and they gave a speach about how safty is the #1 priority, and latter that night they hear it try to shift with no one in it, they replace the transfer case shift motor and the problem went away, they tried to charge us the premium twice because they "fixed" the problem with the computer and the second time was a different problem.
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
The dealer ship I work at wanted $1200 to put 4 tires on an older kia, this was for the dealership to put it up on the lot one of the sales guys took it to discount tire and got 4 brand new tires for $400.

Yeah and not the same tires either.The dealership was going to install good tires and discount mounted a no-name chinese tire,hence the cost difference.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
JohnEgp
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought my used TJ, the exhaust manifold cracked 2 weeks later. I brought it down to the dealer, just to get an idea of how much headers cost because I wasn't ready to upgrade the whole motor to match higher performance aftermarket header. Plus, it was only 3 years old and wanted to see if it was a recall. They pulled up the build sheet, found out it was 1000 miles and one month out of warranty. They said they would make believe I had the extended warranty and only charged me the deductible. Whether or not it was a snow job, I felt good about it.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
PLeonardi

Dealerships are really trying to shake the stigma that was from years ago, and unfortunately there are still some bad apples out there. Working at a Jeep dealer now for the past few years and it is totally different than any other manufacturer that I've been a part of, I don't know if you any of you other dealership guys can validate that? Working specifically in service I shop all of our prices and we come in same as or lower than most of our competition and if the prices are lower there's usually a quality related catch that goes with why it is lower. Everything that we do here carries a warranty and you're getting it for the same as or less than going to an outside shop with no warranty. Backing up your work is a big thing and there's not enough shops out there standing behind there work when they want to be competitive with the manufacturer and talk price.
PLeonardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah and not the same tires either.The dealership was going to install good tires and discount mounted a no-name chinese tire,hence the cost difference.
A couple years ago we bought a cheap set of pirelli's from discount tire for our neon for like $350 they carried a 90,000 mile warranty and we never had a problem with them for the 50,000 miles we put on them before we sold the car. When you don't own a cheap car like a kia or neon you can get cheap tires and you won't know the difference. I live in washington and we get rain half the year, the tires never had a problem, we even drove it back from portland in the snow and the tries did just fine with out chains.
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
tjtom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Passenger side visor- $55
tjtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.