Spring Cleaning Advice - 2000 TJ Overhaul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Spring Cleaning Advice - 2000 TJ Overhaul

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Repaint Advice - Liner/Clearcoat Mix? - 2000 TJ

Back in 2000, I was a dotcom kid - thinking I'd always be flush with cash... didn't happen.

In 2014, my 2000 TJ remains my daily driver. And mainly because I left her with a relative for a few years when I was in NYC, she's got that "ghetto" look.

I bought her with the full off-road package - Dana 44 front and rear, went for everything minus the "Sahara" package - I just didn't care for the look of it.

Anyway, she's got the bad engine - the bearings are bad, and she struggles to retain oil pressure. My mechanic suggests I just drive her 'til it blows, then he'll find a more reliable replacement.

As for the overhaul - I'm not sure where to begin, which is why I'm hoping for some advice. Do I get the new engine first, or is it cool to just "drive her 'til she blows" and go ahead with the new paint job?

For the new paint job, I've been quoted $2500 for a complete repaint - I don't really know much about it, but it seems like a good deal. For that, I'll be having the interior painted with the liner, and the interior repainted - the dash, the faded rollbars, the works.

I'm also planning to a sort of duo-tone with the liner on the exterior - the same slightly darker green liner on the grille, around the windshield, and a couple of inches all around the bottom. Then the forest green on the hood - pretty much everywhere else.

On all of that - I'm thinking of using Photoshop and just "painting" the Jeep myself, to see how it'll look. Also so the bodyshop guy knows how I want her to look.

Anyway, on the paint side, I've been promised that she'll look "brand new" - so $2500 for a new vehicle seems like a good deal?

Because she's a daily driver - and may always be - she's completely stock, and probably always will be.

So thanks for any advice or ideas. I'd really like her to look sharp - as I'm newly single - but I am a bit worried about getting her painted before the engine blows, not knowing what exactly happens when an engine blows. I've just been told it will happen.

Also, the top is destroyed - not sure what to do about that. I usually keep the top off all spring and summer - so maybe I can save up for a new top by next winter.

Thanks again for any help or advice.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited by jeepcreek; 03-01-2014 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: stupid original title - sorry
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well if we are talking rebuilding that motor. Waiting for it to explode generally means that block becomes a planter box. If you plan to buy a remo. They want a good core. if you plan to just find another and do not care about the present block, well then go till she breaks.

Is it worth painting? most east coaster jeeps rust away. putting 2500$ into paint might be the"lipstick on a pig" thing. i mean that is not much to do a "good" paint Job, meaning the tub is good and not needing $$$$$ in metal work BEFORE its painted. hows the frame., if its rotted like most are out east.....it would be less to find a nother Jeep than drop 2.5 in paint another x2+ in motor. plus what ever else lurks down under.
Unread 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. There's no rust and the mechanic says everything else is looking good. I live in the South, not the East - left her in Texas while I was in NYC. The mechanic and the body guy have been over her - my understanding is that the new paint job, particularly the liner, will continue to protect her from rust. The clearcoat is just rubbing away in some places.

I don't know what a remo is - but the mechanic says he plans to get an engine that isn't susceptible to the bearing fault that's apparently all too common with my 2000 4.0. He related that I should have easily gotten 300k out of her - and Chrysler just screwed up a perfectly fine motor, and I'll get 300k more out of the new one (guessing remo?) he puts in. She's at 150k now.

So, the body guy guarantees his paint, the mechanic also has an excellent reputation. I'm single now, and my Jeep just looks kinda "ghetto". So the plan is to fix her back up, make certain she doesn't fall into disrepair again - and I'm good to go. Jeeps are "classic" - I'm guessing CJ owners think their Jeeps are better than my TJ, I think my TJ is better than whatever is out now... so I plan to keep her for life. It sucks that I have to eventually get a new engine - but that's WAY cheaper still than buying a new Jeep or buying someone else's Jeep that might have problems I don't know about. Plus my Jeep has barely ever been off-road, so the mechanic says she's basically a newborn pup except for Chrysler mucking the engine. From what I understand, except for the rims - my Jeep is a Rubicon before Chrysler invented the Rubicon brand to market with the Tomb Raider movie.

But I'm obviously not rich - and ANY money I put into my Jeep is a considerable expense for me. I've saved up for the paint job and wish to do it right. Which is why I'm here - hoping people might be able to tell me where to use the liner and where to use the paint for best protection, etc.

Or the consensus might be that she is "junked" and I shouldn't put any money into her. That would run contrary to everything I've been told - but I don't know jack, so I'm very open to listening.

As for the East coast - my family did live on the coast in Florida for a bit, and you're right that the Jeep would probably be rotted through by now.
Unread 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreek View Post

I bought her with the full off-road package - Dana 44 front and rear, went for everything minus the "Sahara" package - I just didn't care for the look of it.

Because she's a daily driver - and may always be - she's completely stock, and probably always will be.

Not sure if this was over site, but in 2000, I didn't think a D44 front was available.

Now, I saw a bed linered yellow TJ up close this week in a parking lot and it looked really good.
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, people keep saying that - but my mechanic says it's front and rear. Again, I was flush and I special ordered the Jeep at the time (specifically for the 44 front and rear, she also has stock yellow shocks?) - it came with a hardtop that I didn't order, so the dealer had to eat it. Again, at the time, the plan was to turn it into a monster within a year or so, but everyone knows what happened to the dotcoms. Ouch...

I think the liner inside is definitely gonna be sweet - it looks like hell right now, haven't had the carpet in for years.

I hope someone can offer some insight on painting the liner on the grille, around the windshield, the flares, and bottom trim all around. The only off-roading she does now is mudding on local farms - one too many drinks out at a cabin, someone says my Jeep can't do this or that, so I take her to try it out - she's never let me down yet. Only I did find that my tires couldn't troll a garden patch - she just dug ruts...

But I think most "damage" comes from the roads, with rocks flying up. The paint around the windshield is all chipped out, along with a lot of damage to the grill.

Anyway, I'm gonna be glad to get her a nice new coat of paint. I just don't wanna screw up with the liner where I should have painted her normal. But the idea is obviously to use the liner instead of putting those plastic guards up anywhere - I hear they cause rust out underneath, holding water against the body.

And I did see a Jeep painted ENTIRELY with liner. But it was jacked up with monster tires and the works - I'd feel a bit too pretentious trying to pull that off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.