Is spraycan bedliner REALLY bedliner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Is spraycan bedliner REALLY bedliner?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is spraycan bedliner REALLY bedliner?

I wanted to spray a few areas of my new JKU with bedliner this weekend, but then stopped and thought about it for a second. Bedliner, the real deal, is two chemicals reacting and forming the rock hard surface we have come to know. They solidify pretty quickly. So I am wondering, the bedliners in a can, are they just textured spray paint, or are they actually real bedliner? If not, do they make DIY bedliner kits with the part A and part B?

nfrs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Raptor liner is a mix yourself that is a spray on application. Monstaliner is a roll on, but might be able to be sprayed (there is a big thread on Monstaliner just search it)

As to the cheaper spray can stuff I don't have an answer.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's textured spray paint and it's worth less than what you pay for it.
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'd compare it to 89 cent ratel can paint at Walmart. It peels off in no time. Get the good stuff and save your self some trouble

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
nfrs2000nyc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
It's textured spray paint and it's worth less than what you pay for it.
Thank you. Nice to hear an honest answer. A bunch of people were telling me it's "tough" but I just cant see how that can be.

I guess the roll on stuff would be ok to protect against water/road salt in the sensitive areas.
nfrs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
jmiles8701

I've used the aerosol bedliner on my jeeps grill, and on the tailgate of my old wood truck. I cant really say how much of a beating the front grill has taken on my TJ, but my truck gets beat to hell! I throw wood, scrap metal, cinder blocks... Etc and it's been tough as nails! No scratches, no chips, no flakes. As good as the "real" stuff.
jmiles8701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On a JKU I would spend the extra $$$ on Raptor liner. Yes its a 2-part that you mix. You can vary the roughness by changing the air pressure in the paint gun.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
hefightsfire
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used it in the wheel wells of my old Dakota. I had to re-spray areas every month or so from peeling and flaking. I wouldn't use it on anything I wanted to look good or last.

Abraham Lincoln
hefightsfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrs2000nyc
I wanted to spray a few areas of my new JKU with bedliner this weekend, but then stopped and thought about it for a second. Bedliner, the real deal, is two chemicals reacting and forming the rock hard surface we have come to know. They solidify pretty quickly. So I am wondering, the bedliners in a can, are they just textured spray paint, or are they actually real bedliner? If not, do they make DIY bedliner kits with the part A and part B?
Your top two diy choices are raptor and monster. I sprayed raptor and loved the results. Just search for the two. A lot of good info
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used the spray on bedliner on some parts of my motorcycle. I liked the texture more than anything but once it cure I realized it is pretty tough. I can't answer for heavy abuse but I have dropped stuff on the bedliner parts and no scratches, nicks, or flaking. I takes a while to fully cure but I am happy with it. I plan on hitting a few parts on my jeep when the weather warms.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.