Spare parts for Alaska Highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Spare parts for Alaska Highway

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
pdavid2
2014 JK Wrangler 

Spare parts for Alaska Highway

I'm driving from MI to AK and back this summer (32 day trip) in a 2014 JKUR. Other than the spare tire, what spare parts should I bring, just in case. That is, what is most likely to fail that could be easily and quickly repaired, but only if I happen to have the (relatively inexpensive and easily carried) spare parts?

Unread 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

U-joints. extra u-joint clips. Spare shock if you can get some used ones, atleast one for the front, one for the rear. Oil, brake fluid, radiator fluid, diff fluid. The stupid transfer case clips that break occasionally. Lightbulbs of course and spare fuses. Change your diff seals from the rtv they use at the factory to reusable ones from lubelocker. Bring a spare air filter or some canned air to blow the dust out of the one you have already. Buy a couple spare lug nuts and studs. The front and rear wheel studs are different stock numbers and for whatever reason not carried at local auto parts stores. At least not where I live. Things that will get you stuck if you dont repair get more expensive. Do some research about doing trail fixes.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
bartruff1
2014 JK Wrangler 

I travel the Alaska Highway often...and there are ample services comparable to any in the lower 48.... now...they are further apart, but they are there...join AAA or some comparable roadside assistance provider and kick back.... relax and enjoy the sights.

I really prefer the Cassiar...... that has more bears than people...very little traffic and fewer services....you might consider going up one and back down the other,

Both roads are paved but there are always extended areas of reconstruction. I always manage to crack a windshield but that is a small price to pay to see " The Great Land." It is unfortunate that you don't have more time...but you will likely be going back !!!!

If you don't already have one, get the newest Milepost...it has all the info you will need.

Like they say in Alaska...." I will see you down the trail."
bartruff1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Michel347

I did it from Montreal QC, through Canada, BC and Yukon and on my way back through BC and USA with the F150 of my father and a fithwheel. All I had was a spare for the PU and a 2 spares for the FW. I did built some kind of mesh grill in front to protect the radiator and front lights. I did bring spare front light spares, air compressor and plug kit for the tires.

Fortunately haven't needed any of them, but as mentioned by bartruff1, I went through a windshield as well, and yes, go through Cassiar, enjoy.

Regarsd
Unread 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavid2 View Post
I'm driving from MI to AK and back this summer (32 day trip) in a 2014 JKUR. Other than the spare tire, what spare parts should I bring, just in case. That is, what is most likely to fail that could be easily and quickly repaired, but only if I happen to have the (relatively inexpensive and easily carried) spare parts?
I've driven it 7 times, twice by scooter, and most recently as 2013, in my 2007 JKU, hauling a 3500 pound trailer filled to the max with no trailer brakes.

A 2014 should not need ANYTHING in terms of parts.
Bring a spare tire and a way to change it, gas, and water. You'll be fine.

I HIGHLY recommend owning a cordless impact wrench (I have the Dewalt 20v unit) with two batteries, and one of those battery booster/air compressor things. As for a jack, don't fool around - bring a small floor jack to make your life easier if you have to change a tire.

And yes, if you want more of a "wild" experience, take the Cassiar up to the ALCAN.
j.jpg

t.jpg

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
Montaska
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've done the ALCAN a few times and it's not as desolate as you'd think. Bring some energy drinks, though!
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's good to know that it's paved now. Might have to reconsider an upcoming summer bike trip.

Many years back I ran the Alcan Highway a couple of times. A lot of miles weren't paved at that time. It was better in some ways in the winter. With the packed snow/ice you couldn't tell if it was paved or not. The last time out I rode the ferry south. The inside passage is a beautiful, relaxing way to pass the miles. You might look at driving one way and taking the ferry the other way.
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Red Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The highway is paved although in the northern Yukon there will be long stretches of road repair. I made the trip in 2013 and carried nor more supplies than if I were going to the local grocery store. I recommend to go up the Alcan and return the Cassiar, don't miss Stewart/Hyder.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
bartruff1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rubicon View Post
The highway is paved although in the northern Yukon there will be long stretches of road repair. I made the trip in 2013 and carried nor more supplies than if I were going to the local grocery store. I recommend to go up the Alcan and return the Cassiar, don't miss Stewart/Hyder.
Stewart and Hyder is a place like no other.... with one lonely Mountie guarding the border(s)...... Don't call him Dudley Do Wrong... he must have really pissed his boss off.....take the drive up to see the glaciers.. and the grizzles at Bear Creek and Salmon Creek.

I am green with envy...
bartruff1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
pdavid2
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. We're returning on the Cassiar. Also, I have my milepost guide.
pdavid2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
Red Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
Stewart and Hyder is a place like no other.... with one lonely Mountie guarding the border(s)...... Don't call him Dudley Do Wrong... he must have really pissed his boss off.....take the drive up to see the glaciers.. and the grizzles at Bear Creek and Salmon Creek.

I am green with envy...
When crossing back to Stewart he asked "where are you coming from", I had a real hard time not laughing.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

ferninaz you live in a beautiful place too. Fort Huachuca (sp?), cavalry country. Nice people there.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavid2 View Post
Thanks. We're returning on the Cassiar. Also, I have my milepost guide.
"The Milepost" is a scam. It's not nearly as useful as people think it is, and it is FAR from complete. It's just advertising more than anything else (and if you don't pay them, you're not in it). You can have a perfectly enjoyable trip without one.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
hodgeman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea not much of a since of humor with the border gaurds. Took the ferry down to Prince Rupert. Had my snowmobile in the back of the truck. When she asked what i had in the truck I did'nt declare it when she questioned me a bought it I said I thought you you could see it big mistake.
hodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
bobjp

You have a 2014. Why would you carry any spare parts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.