Somewhat disgusted with self... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Somewhat disgusted with self...

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Somewhat disgusted with self...

Garggghhhh.... Really thinking of selling my Rubi, Ugghh it PaInS! Gas is still nutsy high and I probably should stop rebelling and buy a car. Dammit. My other Ride is a 3/4 ton and is big and mean and has an 8ft box to carry all sorts of stuffs. It can also tow things, like my old cj5, that I really would like to fix up again. Could replacing my 'most awesome dream machine' 6spd Rubicon with, a... car... to save a loooot of money (Alot.) while letting the lil' ol' '66 step it up with trail duty be a -good- thing to do?!? or am I as stupid as the voices I should be hearing, would keep saying? crazy. what would you do? Oh, and gotta keep the truck. . .

.well ok maybe, but still, let's say I gotsta.

...and go.

mikecraigen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're just gonna have to figure out what your priorities are in life and what things are wants versus needs. Don't burdon yourself with wants you can't afford, and don't let your possessions own you.

Just a few questions that might help your decision:
Why do you say you need the truck? Why do you have the CJ5? Why do you feel you need a car? Would replacing one vehicle with a car really save you money once you factor in purchase cost, upkeep, etc? Would simply selling one or two vehicles save more money versus replacement? Is there a feasable way to expand the capabilities of one vehicle to make another redundant?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Bearsma
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh,,,, COME ON!!!!! I'm SURE you can find a way to become COMPLETELY disgusted with yourself,,,,, put a little effort in it!!!! LMBO....
GREEN JEEP CLUB #587
Bearsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you still paying a note on the Rubi? I would compare all the variables before selling it. Things like cost of insurance for the new fuel efficient Civic, maintenance, etc. You might find that your savings will be minimal.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you can always take off the lift and tires.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

eww civic. to clarify the mud - have farm need truck, have quad need truck, work at lumber store need truck. jeep is really my most favouritest 'toy', I emphasize toy as jeeps are unpractical when you have said truck especially since the truck is a superduty with 38's and purrs down the highway. as for payments, I owe far less than what the jeep is worth, in fact it's almost totally mine, cj5 is 'buggy material' and requires a little bit of parts and a lot of that time stuff... doubtful it'll ever be road worthy. As for costs, Rubicon is about 225-300 bucks a month to operate in just insurance and gas, on top of all other expenses. truck is between 175-275 per month, usually less. I would really love to not sell any and have a 50 ft garage full of cool stuff, and I am kinda considering storing the jeep for awhile too, but it'd be just punishment to not be able to go for a rip! Also up here gas has frequently been around $1.25/litre, which is um around 4.75/gallon (right?) so if I can save even 50-100 bucks a month at the pumps (which any car getting more than 300-350km/tank or 180-220 miles-ish) that my jeep gets, then super incredible savings. that's alot of cheeseburgers. haha! knowing me though I'll prob find another rx-7 and totally rev the snot out of it, thus defeating the whole purpose. gahh.... someone make gas free.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec View Post
you can always take off the lift and tires.
Absurd!!! lol!
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lol, well **** man, you have to do something.. maybe compramise and swap out the tires for smaller ones.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
You're just gonna have to figure out what your priorities are in life and what things are wants versus needs. Don't burdon yourself with wants you can't afford, and don't let your possessions own you.

Just a few questions that might help your decision:
Why do you say you need the truck? Why do you have the CJ5? Why do you feel you need a car? Would replacing one vehicle with a car really save you money once you factor in purchase cost, upkeep, etc? Would simply selling one or two vehicles save more money versus replacement? Is there a feasable way to expand the capabilities of one vehicle to make another redundant?
alot of good points. realistically, other that my truck being big and not really fitting where jeeps can, lockers and a winch would make it stellar, it is beyond sufficient as it sits, maybe finish making heavy bumpers and a bunch more lights..., meh it works good. It is however not very 'city-friendly' and turns a wide circle, so that is why I say car.

A little history; I had a hemi truck, sucked fuel-looked cool, and was way too pretty to 'use' so I traded for jeep. ...Sorta, as the market went for a total ****e and I lost almost 10grand on the trucks supposed worth. damn. so I shelled out a little more for the Jeep and instant gratification! test drive involved mud pit and 20 mins at the car wash. just before I got the Jeep I bought my F250 off the boss for peanuts, had to pull off all the stickers and cut the fenders a bit for the big michelins, and some expected maintenance. It's well paid for. I've put alot of coin into my Rubi and don't regret any, except for the superchips programmer (halfways useless other than a codereader unless yours is an 06), and I don't believe in cheap parts. If I could take the doors and top off the truck A) it would look stupid, B) the Jeep would have one less pro to con me. dammit eh?!! I guess I just had to vent.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec View Post
lol, well **** man, you have to do something.. maybe compramise and swap out the tires for smaller ones.
it's gearing dude. I've only 33's and 4.11's, 100kph (60ish mph?) is like 2500rpm, I drive 80% town and I don't see stepping down 2" as going to help. It's always been hard on fuel since bone stock day 1. I have expensive tastes I guess
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just buy a car online for $500 then put another $500 in fixing it up. Boom you got a gas saving town getter. Might not look the greatest but you’ll get to keep your toy and your muscle.
ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
mikecraigen
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuf View Post
just buy a car online for $500 then put another $500 in fixing it up. Boom you got a gas saving town getter. Might not look the greatest but you’ll get to keep your toy and your muscle.
I like this guy!
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://toronto.en.craigslist.org/mss...727716706.html

will easily save you $500 plus what ever a radiator hose and battery costs. It is a clean car and has less miles then my Jeep
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

maybe you can give up some of the luxarys at home.. cable is one that comes to mind.
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that sucks. Gas here is $2.86/gallon
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.