Someone school me on OBA systems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Someone school me on OBA systems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Someone school me on OBA systems

What do I need and what's the best/ cheapest way to do it. I want to use if for a train horn and airing up on the trails.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

found this thread in the TJ section. look at post #16 in the link.

hope this helps. from what i have read, several in the TJ section have done a OBA set-up, maybe ask for help there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ac...r-mod-1381538/
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll take a look!

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's always the electric route. There's a vendor that pops up every now and again "OnboardAir" and they have lots of viable electric packages. I pieced mine together by starting with a smittybilt 2871 compressor (it's warrantied) and built around it piece by piece. It's a standalone model for tires and if you want air horns later it will provide the air for that as well. I should have done a cheap build thread on mine only because it was budget minded but that time has passed. You can PM me if you want a parts list, I'll put one together.
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pm sent

Quote:
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, I love how every time someone mentions Smittybilt, they follow that with a justification... Hahaha I've heard a lot of bad but so far have been pleased with my smittybilt purchases. CRES, soft top, and soon front bumper.

Quote:
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a reason for the justification. I've had to use the warranty once on this item and made an exchange just two or three months after making the initial purchase. Since then, it has filled up almost everyone's tires after every run since the beginning of this year.
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Electric is usually easier to setup, but you typically don't get the same performance as say an engine driven compressor or a CO2 tank. The CO2 tanks are very nice, but then you need to worry about keeping the tank full. That's about the only downside I've noticed so far; they're very fast, which makes filling up pretty painless. Personally I like the engine driven compressors, and will be ditching the CO2 tank, or just using it as a backup once I finally get my York setup pieced together. Either the Sanden or York compressors work great for OBA systems. I used the Sanden compressor in my last Jeep, and it worked great; I had no complaints whatsoever. This Jeep is a little nicer so I want to keep the A/C, hence the York compressor.

The engine driven compressors are definitely the nicest in my opinion, but depending on which route you take they're usually more expensive to do. Search a bit for York and Sanden OBA writeups and you'll get an idea of what they entail.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought the MV50 compressor off Amazon for under $60.

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...=pd_sim_auto_1

It's really just for tires though. But I've seen people mount these in their Jeeps easily. For me, since I have several cars, I'm keeping it portable.
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
Electric is usually easier to setup, but you typically don't get the same performance as say an engine driven compressor or a CO2 tank. The CO2 tanks are very nice, but then you need to worry about keeping the tank full. That's about the only downside I've noticed so far; they're very fast, which makes filling up pretty painless. Personally I like the engine driven compressors, and will be ditching the CO2 tank, or just using it as a backup once I finally get my York setup pieced together. Either the Sanden or York compressors work great for OBA systems. I used the Sanden compressor in my last Jeep, and it worked great; I had no complaints whatsoever. This Jeep is a little nicer so I want to keep the A/C, hence the York compressor.

The engine driven compressors are definitely the nicest in my opinion, but depending on which route you take they're usually more expensive to do. Search a bit for York and Sanden OBA writeups and you'll get an idea of what they entail.
I think I will go the electric route to kep it as simple as possible. And who knows I may want to add a/c later one as well.

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't given up on this! Any more ideas. I'm hoping to start piecing this together after Christmas.

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im using an engine driven york myself. If u do some looking around u can sometimes put together a nice OBA system. Ive bought pieces from individuals as well as places such as Kilby. Snatch a york or sanden from a junk yard. A lot of volvos used york style compressors and u can sometimes pick them up cheap.
jeepreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna go with a 12 volt system instead of the engine driven. For my use it will end up saving me money I think.

Quote:
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
I think I'm gonna go with a 12 volt system instead of the engine driven. For my use it will end up saving me money I think.
Around here you can pick up a stock Sanden compressor for around 60 bucks.
Cheaper in the winter.
The stock mount is already there to bolt it up. You will have to pick up another pulley and different belt.
Instead of a oiler I went this way.http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html
You will still need a dryer/filter, pressure switch, pop off valve and a tank.
Electric or engine driven you are still going to spend in the neighborhood of $100 to $200.
I could see where a electric would be a easier install though.
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a Viair system (sold as a "JK" kit since it comes with a bracket for mounting to my crossmember in between the radiator fan and the motor, but thats it) If you have room, its pretty nice to have dual compressors mounted on a tank. Fills to 140 psi in like 20 seconds!
Rancho 4" Sport Suspension * Rancho RS9000XL Shocks * Rancho Front LCA Skids * EVO Rear LCA Skids * Yukon 5.13 Gears * Spartan Lockers * Groundpounder Fab Custom Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier * Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper * Warn VR8000 Winch * KC Apollo Series Fog Lights * KC Daylighter driving lights * Rampage Step Bars * Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers * Synergy D30 Sleeve * Synergy Inner C Gussets * Syngery HD Ball Joints * Synergy High Clearance Chromoly Tie Rod * Synergy High Steer Drag Link * JKS Monster Track bar * JKS Quick Disconnects * Rough Country Track Bar Relocation Bracket * RocKrawler High Clearance Front LCAs * Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers * Reid Racing Knuckles * Black Rock 909s Wheels * Monstalined Interior * Cobra 75wx w/ CoolTech Mounts * Skid Row Engine Skid * Skid Row Evap Canister Skid * B&M Auxiliary Transmission Cooler * Tom Woods Driveshafts * Superchips * Viair 2on2 Onboard Air * Mopar Cruise Control * Ace Tubular Fenders * Fox Racing Steering Stab & Bracket * Bestop Soft Doors * MBRP Rock Crawler Exhaust * WarmSeats
Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club Member #104
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oba , wrangler , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.