So I pulled the trigger my Tonka jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > So I pulled the trigger my Tonka jeep

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I pulled the trigger my Tonka jeep

I bought my son's a jeep a while back, and after some wheeling I decided it was time for me to get one.

I bought an 06 Rubicon 2 door with 11k miles on it. 100% stock currently still has 14 months of factory warranty. It is yellow with a soft top, 6 speed. I am going to sell my 2 door 4x4 tahoe now and use the proceeds to fix this one up.

For those who are shopping or wondering I spent 18k. This one has about every option you could get at the time. I went with the rubicon for reasons I really don't think I need to spell out( dana 44's lockers ect)

First think I am doing is riping out the carpet and hurculinering the tub. I will post pics when the wife gets back with the camera.

Ron83CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the wonderful world of having your own jeep, it looks like you picked a good jeep to start off with

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Douglas S.

Now your son's are going to have to lift, and maybe add some lockers, to the YJ to keep up with you.
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
spd500
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you finally found one that you like . I think we need to build some new toys for it . Every Jeep needs a winch . And a nice tire carrier to tote the new spare once you sell the Tahoe .
spd500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the Rubi.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd500 View Post
Glad to hear you finally found one that you like . I think we need to build some new toys for it . Every Jeep needs a winch . And a nice tire carrier to tote the new spare once you sell the Tahoe .
Definately want to take a look at your bumpers. I am thinking on the rear I would like to make a gas tank cage that goes in between the jeep and tire carrier, so I can carry two extra tanks.

I am going to work on putting the wish list together over the next couple of days to prioritize the up upgrades. I should know today if the guy who looked at it last night is buying it. I should have around 3500 in the next couple of weeks to buy my up grades.

Lift is a priority, but I am really having a hard time chosing what route I want to go. I am thinking hard on the rough country but I have heard a lot of good things about the rubicon express as well. Tough choices lie ahead.
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

$3,500 isn't going to be enough. lol
you'll never have enough
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinRoss View Post
$3,500 isn't going to be enough. lol
you'll never have enough
We have an 88 yj, so I know what you mean. As for 3500 its a nice start and will keep me happy for a while
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Persian-BULL
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ur a lucky lucky man! my whole car cost me $3200 :P wana trade?
Persian-BULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian-BULL View Post
Ur a lucky lucky man! my whole car cost me $3200 :P wana trade?
Sorry man we are a one YJ family one TJ family.
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Persian-BULL
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh well at least u gave it some thought lol
Persian-BULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I think I have decided on the RC 4 inch lift with the new control arms. Has any ran this lift yet that would like to provide any feed back?

I am also going to do a 1 inch BL when i do the RC 4 inch lift. All said and done I am lookint at about 5.5 inches total and mounting some 33/12.50.

I will probably scour craigs list to find a trail set of Bias ply super swampers to just play in.

This weekend I will be pulling my carpet and puting it in storage, I am going to take the week to prep it to hurculine it over the following weekend.

Note to self, remove the bumperets this weekend! and the mud flaps!

I have a fellow jeeper who is close that made his own bumpers, So I am going to shoot over to his house and check them out. I anticipate being truly trail ready by summer time.
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
spd500
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You really need to lose the mudflaps , they are too tacky for such a sweet ride .
spd500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd500 View Post
You really need to lose the mudflaps , they are too tacky for such a sweet ride .
Ya i got busy today working on the kids jeep, they will be gone soon. Hope to be ordering my lift tomorrow.

Meant to ask you did you make the front bumper too?
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
SpydermanTJ

Pics Pics Pics!!!!
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.