So I bought a Wrangler today... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > So I bought a Wrangler today...

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

So I bought a Wrangler today...

So I bought a Wrangler today and it turns out that since my company has contracts with the dealership I got the 1% below invoice without even trying. It's a white, totally base model - the only added feature is a trailer hitch. I'm in Michigan so there is one week in August where I'll miss the AC. I work with computers all day so I didn't want any more than necessary in the truck. A simple, bumpy ride makes me happy.

Two odd things about the purchase:

1: We settled on the price and the final write up was perfect except for a $299.00 'Etching Fee'. Evidently they etch a serial number into the windows for security purposes. I felt sick because I came in with a pre-approval letter and there was no negotiating and now I have this dumb thing on the contract. I simply said, "That has to go away" - and that was all I said. Moments later it was gone. I was sick thinking I'd have to bail on the deal over some bull****.

2: The salesperson didn't know how to put the top down. I told him I'd give the dealership a perfect 10 on their scores if he promised me to learn how to do that correctly. I told him I'd drop in sometime next week and have him demo it on my Jeep - and if he couldn't do it I'd write Chrysler.

3: The salesman had a checklist with 6 items on it that he was supposed to demo for me on the vehicle. The top item on the list was how to use a manual window opener. He actually did it!

So I got my Jeep and everyone is disgusted because it isn't practical.
I love it though.
It's as great as I'd hoped it would be!

MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on the new Jeep. You'll enjoy it so no worries about being practical.

Oh, and both my TJ and KJ had that etching... I have yet to get either stolen to test it out!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We got a new Camry a fews years back that had the "dealer installed option of VIN etched glass", don't remember the price, but there has to be a machine that does it in just a few minutes and the dealer makes hundreds.

I think that dealer options are a racket.

Congrats on your new Wrangler.

I bought my first new vehicle in 1974, a Ford F100 pick-up and we lived in the city. The whole family and our friends thought we were crazy, trucks were for farm people, until they wanted to borrow it, because we were the only ones they knew with a truck.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
08JeepMan
2010 JK Wrangler 

To heck with practical... if you like it...that's all that matters....
practical = boring in my book.....
08JeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

its not even a machine, the dealer has a set of pre printed for lack of better term "labels" that he stick on the window, then squirts or drops an ounce or two of a chemical that etches the information from the label onto the glass. It takes a salesman all of 5 minutes to etch the windows. One of the biggest scams I have seen in a long time !
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the new Jeep, enjoy it and if it works for you then It's practical !

Dan
djm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did some serious off roading yesterday.
By off-roading I mean that I drove down well maintained dirt road and hit a shallow mud puddle.

Now the entire thing has to be detailed....
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
its not even a machine, the dealer has a set of pre printed for lack of better term "labels" that he stick on the window, then squirts or drops an ounce or two of a chemical that etches the information from the label onto the glass. It takes a salesman all of 5 minutes to etch the windows. One of the biggest scams I have seen in a long time !
And in order to "activate" it, you have to pay them to register it. The windows on the last vehicle I purchased had been etched. The dealer said, "since it's been done, you have to pay for it". I told them two things: 1. You etched it at your own discretion. Not my problem. And 2. Are you really going to lose the sale over this?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Learn something every day.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
ncb

It's a scam for some dealers to get $299 out of each deal. Most dealers automatically etch the windows when the new vehicles show up. I don't see how etching the VIN on the glass would keep a car safer from theft. After all the VIN is already on several spots throughout all vehicles. The dealer I purchased my Jeep from tried to force me into some similar bull**** and said I had to pay for it because it was already done. I walked out and a few hours later they were begging me to come back and said it was a misunderstanding on their part.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Notes From A New Jeep Owner:

1: I see the "Jeep Wave" is alive and well. Cracks me up. I'm doing it now.
2: I've stopped to get gas twice. I've been approached by Jeep lovers both times.
3: I've already had the experience of putting on side windows in the pouring rain.

Pretty friendly little cult you guys have here.
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Indeed. We do our part to try and keep the alive.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You will love it. Now take it out and get it dirty!
PMSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post

That's pretty accurate!
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post
You're just beginning to understand. 3 years ago, I was going to the N Ga mountains to wheel with a buddy and a bunch of people that we met in the Southeast JF forum. On the way, I stopped for gas. Got into a conversation with another Jeep owner while pumping gas. There was another Jeep besides us at the same station. I got in my Jeep and left. Later while we were stopped for a rest on the trail, the guy in the 3rd Jeep at the station came up to me and said "I don't want to make a big deal of this, but do you know that you left the gas station without paying?" I was so used to paying at the pump before pumping gas that I completely forgot to go pay. This same guy went in and paid for my $40 of gas, not even knowing if he would ever get the money back. He did so, simply because I owned a Jeep. I almost had to force him to take the cash from me, to compensate the gesture. Cult status got kicked up a notch for me that day.

To complete the story, I also stopped in the gas station on the way back to apologize from the manager and to ensure that they had indeed gotten full payment for the gas.

Welcome to the cult.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.