Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Skyjacker shocks

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Louie4 
#1 ·
I just bought new front shocks. My question is most shocks are held closed with a wire. When yu cut it it extends. These have no wire or anything on them. I pulled them out to bolt in. they dont go back together or extend. Am I missing something?

#4 ·
I run the hydro's. They are a nice soft ride on a TJ. They are hydraulic and are slow in and out. They are not pressurized like gas rough *** ride shock. They will ride smooth on your TJ. But not everyone likes the way they ride. You have to get bilsteins to have about the best.
They should pull in and out, Not easy, But they should extend out and bolt in. If they are new and are froze, Send them back under warranty/defective shock. They have a lifetime replacement on them. Are they the correct length? IIRC skyjacker you should get an inch longer than what you have. I run 6" on a 3.75 lift and they do great.

#5 ·
It could have been the low temperatures that we have up here that affected the life of my shocks as well. I found them to be a harsh ride and a fair bit squishy for my liking. I had one fail after about 4000km as well. They do have excellent customer service though, my dislike is only based on my experience so I can't fairly bash their entire line.

#6 ·
My jeep spent the winter under a carport and we had a cold winter in Iowa this year. I found that when driving it, Even though i would let it way mechanically, When i took off for the 15mins on gravel it was a lumber wagon. But by the highway they were warm and regular. They do cavitate easy and rust, Thats what i have noticed over the years. But i have a XJ with rancho5k's, They are stiff are crap on a TJ, But the XJ feels like the hydro's and is flexy as heck. I dont know what to make of it, They are new and all that way.

#11 ·
I have the Skyjacker Nitro 9000's or something like that. I had to get some shocks pretty quick because I bent my last set and I was going wheeling so I got these at the local 4wd shop. They are not charged like others so they didn't extend like ones with wires on them. Mine have worked fine. The only thing I've done is move my front shock mounts up on the axle so they don't limit flex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.