Skyjacker = Bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Skyjacker = Bad

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Skyjacker = Bad

I just want to let everyone know of my experience on this site to prevent another member possibly having to go through the same issue.

First of all, my 2010 JK has Rough Country 2.5" lift coil springs and all of the support suspension components. Second, I have been working on vehicles now for many years as I began in drag racing for which lasted for about 6 years until I decided to try something new. Needless to say, I have been involved with many parts companies. I have never in my times spent on vehicle forums ever wrote anything negative about a company. I have also never experienced the frustration that I have with dealing with Skyjacker.

It started as the only thing left I needed for my lift kit was some new shocks. As a result, I purchased the Skyjacker 1.5"-3" lift shocks. They arrived to my residence in a timely maner (about 1 week). I placed the bushings into the shock and began to mount them to my jeep when I noticed that the front two shocks each had different bushings placed onto them. One had red bushings and one had black. The black bushings were a bit larger than the red causing that shock to be approximately 1/8" to 1/4" longer. I thought to myself, no big deal I will just put them on the jeep and it probably will not be noticeable. As I go to install the new front shocks, I notice that once the top of the front shock is mounted, the bottom only extends about 1" further down from the bottom mounting location......hhhmmmm this is not going to be good for downflex. I then decided to unbolt the shock and place it next to the factory shock......same length. That is when I did notice the different part number stamped into the shock tha the one I ordered. As a result, I called the company I ordered the shock from and they advised they would send me another set of shocks at my expense and would refund me the moeny once they received the old shocks back. I advised them I noticed the shock was not long enough once it was installed and they advised that is ok.

The following day i receive an email from the company I ordered from stating that Skyjacker advised them the different stamp number on the shock is the correct stamping for the part number I ordered.?.? As a result, I called the company back and told them, ok go ahead and cancel my second order then and instead send me the 6" skyjacker shock as it's expanded and collapsed lengths are comparable to other companies 2-3" lengths. They advised they would do so and gave me a return number in order to send the original shocks back to Skyjacker at my expense $20.

My Jeep sits for a week until the longer shocks arrive. I put them into my Jeep and voila! Perfect fit. Great downflex and upflex. Meanwhile as I have paid for 6 shocks, two different sets of shipping. About one month later, I receive an email from Skyjacker. the email states the following this is copied from my email:

Date: 6/29/2011 7:06:50 AM

Customer attempted to install both of these shocks. They both have scratches on them, so we will not be able to issue refund for either of them.
Please let me know if you would like them field destroyed or sent back to the customer. If shipped back to customer , frt would be $8.47.

Thank you,

Betty Smith
Skyjacker Suspensions
Office Manager

Ok the shocks probably did have a scratch on them from me mounting them onto my Jeep. However, I can assure you the shocks were in great condition. Remember, I advised the shocks had been mounted to the Jeep and they advised that is OK. Needless to say after one month, I have not been refunded any money, wil have paid for a total of 4 different shipping cost, and now I am being asked by Skyjacker to pay for the shipping cost to have the shocks sent back to my residence or I am out of my money. In my opinion, this has been the worst customer service I have ever been involved with and I can assure you I will never order anything from Skyjacker ever again.

I wanted to post this on this site in order to help prevent another member from going through this experience as it has been stressful and frustrating.

While writting this I attempted to remain unbiased and try to share my experince as it actually occurred.

Alex

P.S. I should have a set of extra Shkyjacker shocks soon for sale online for very cheap....if anyone is interested.

2010 Wrangler Sport M6 16" MB72 wheels, 35" Duratrac tires, 2.5" Rough Country Lift Kit, Hella Black Magic Driving Lights mounted on Rugged Ridge Windshield Mounts, 4.56 gears, F/R Trutracs, Sleeves and gussets, and more.......
Clermont Jeep Club
ucfgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im having my share of trouble with skyjacker. It is only a matter of time until they flop and go out of business because, their products are garbage, " absolute garbage" to be more specific, there customer service is as bad or worse than their product ( if thats possible ).

when I bought my brand new jeep, I walked into a 4x4 shop in PA and was asking the people there for advise on parts and they new much more than I did at the time, I was and still am completely new to 4x4. They "hooked me up" with a 3.5 lift from sky jacker w/ shocks and stabilizer. Their lift feels like it was forged from concrete and wood. so after paying for this trash and than having to pay to have The "garbage" installed, im now buying a new REAL SUSPENSION LIFT.

Oh and not to mention when they gave me my lift, they had to order it from skyjacker, they gave me mixed parts from 2 different lift kits, that the bone head mechanic installed anyway. So i had to remove and replace, at the expense of my bro driving 4 hours back and forth to pick up the "correct" rear springs from a "warehouse".

I just cant wait until this tuesday to order my new kit, I also hope that their crap did dot cause any kind of damage to my vehicle. Riding horse back butt naked on a wild horse yields more comfort than my jeep.

I would not give anyone the skyjacker stuff for free, I would not do that to you, Its going in the garbage were it belongs with the rest of their company.

STAY AWAY FROM SKYJACKER, NO MATTER THE COST!

End rant.
sam187st is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
jeepstryker1

One word FORTEC they are A+ in Atlanta and in Ft lauderdale fl.
I Don't think that all these Chrysler jeep dealers would contract their vehicles with a fly by night company.
Were talking about warranties etc.

Sorry to hear any member have to get the run around they send you the wrong part and now they don't wantit back cuz it has scratches..... Wtf they expect.
jeepstryker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
WATERMAN31
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have used SkyJacker on my last two Jeeps. Their products are great. No issues with either kits. The instructions were clear and their support was just fine. While installing my last lift, I thought they hadn't shipped all the hardware, I called them and they sent new ones out which arrived in three days. I felt bad when I found the original bolts while cleaning up. Sorry you guys had bad experiences.

The shipping issues are not cool, they should eat the shipping fees.
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you think skyjacker is great, I wonder what you call "bad"... could you give me an example of a product that in your opinion is not good?
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker is junk, with just a little research you would have stayed away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker is your basic, cookie cutter crap company that makes crap parts. This is nothing new.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Skyjacker is your basic, cookie cutter crap company that makes crap parts. This is nothing new.
I learned the hard way. I wish I had new about this community before I touched my jeep.
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And this is why people should listen to the advice given instead of moan about how people only recommend expensive parts. I'm betting there is a reason for that...
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ucfgto
2010 JK Wrangler 

Very true about listening to others and not cheaping out on parts. In my case I figured it was just shocks and I am glad I did not purchase an entire lift kit from them.
2010 Wrangler Sport M6 16" MB72 wheels, 35" Duratrac tires, 2.5" Rough Country Lift Kit, Hella Black Magic Driving Lights mounted on Rugged Ridge Windshield Mounts, 4.56 gears, F/R Trutracs, Sleeves and gussets, and more.......
Clermont Jeep Club
ucfgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No personal experience with SkyJacker on my part, but my buddy had their 6" on his XJ and it rode and flexed great. Their subframe system was well designed too. He never had any issues with it from what he told me over the years. And really, there are a few suspension companies with bad raps, but it seems to only be true of specific products, not necessarily their whole catalogs.

For example
Pro Comp. Their coil spring conversion for a YJ is horrid
Rough Country. Ok this one is true, all products are crap
Rubicon Express. Think it's the control arm bushings everyone complains about, but their springs are fantastic.
SkyJacker. Their mono leafs have a bad rep. I know that for sure, but really haven't read or heard too many other negatives from them before.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Man I haven't had any problems with mine except my upper bushing on my front two shocks when I installed my lift 3 years ago. I called them directly and they sent new ones free of charge and a nice windsheild sticker as well. I will say though putting the rubber in the round holes of the shocks is a *****. Really almost need a dang press to do it easy. If you drown it with WD40 or something really slick you can get it. Maybe I lucked out.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
matthewbe
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'll definitely stay away from skyjacker, but in your opinions, who makes the best lifts? I'm looking for a 2" lift for my Sahara.
matthewbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker isn't bad really for the money. Honestly,unless your in a big four wheel drive show or something you will never know the difference. I installed my 2.5 short arm back in 07 and 45k later no problems with it at all. Black Diamond isn't bad either. Rubicon Express is not to bad but, your buying that name.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.