Skid plate nutserts 95 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Skid plate nutserts 95 yj

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Rustybolts
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Skid plate nutserts 95 yj

I just purchased some nutserts for my 95 yj from black magic brakes to install a transfer case lowering kit and like many jeep guys have experienced my oem bolts would either just snap off or spin in the frame without actually loosening. The kit came complete with grade 8 bolts long enough to compensate for lowering kit along with washers and nutserts.

Getting the skid plate off was a bit of a chore and required some grinding and cutting of old bolts once I was able to pry the skid plate down enough to get either cutting wheel in there or sawzall blade. For the bolts that snapped off i used an air hammer to bust them out. That worked great actually only took about 5 minutes to hammer out three. Once skid plate was down I cleaned up frame and ground around holes to get rid of any rust or pieces of oem nutserts then painted her up.

I was scratching my head a little bit when it came time to insert new nutserts as I have never used them before. Blaine from Black Magic Brakes walked me through the process for making the setting tool over the phone but I still wasn't able to get enough force against nutsert to keep it tight to the frame without spinning. After some serious thought, cursing, sweating and scratching Of my head i came up with a great set up that was super easy and almost effortless compared to what I was trying. I used the setting tool which consisted of a 1/2 inch nut that was drilled out so it would slide freely over a 1/2 bolt that came with the kit. Put the nut on the bolt. Next put on a 1/2 inch grade 8 washer then a 1/2 inch star lock washer then the nutsert. Here's the magic! Clamp a set of vice grips on the drilled out nut so you will the be able to hold the nutsert and set tool as one unit. Grab your floor jack and a 2x4 scab. Insert nutsert into frame with flange on nutsert facing the ground. Put 2x4 on floor jack and jack it up so 2x4 pushes firmly against vice grips getting the 2x4 as close to the jaws of vice grips as possible making sure it won't interfere with your ability to get socket on bolt that you will torque in to collapse nutsert. Spray set tool with lubricant so it will not bind against heavy pressure. Use floor jack to apply pressure against vice grips which will press nutsert firmly in frame and begin to torque tight in order to collapse nutsert against inside of frame.

Torqueing will be easy at first and then gets pretty difficult. Once it gets difficult it takes about 2-3 full turns to collapse nutsert. You will actually feel it get a little harder again. When you feel this stop turning. If you feel it get very easy stop turning immediately as you will strip threads if you continue to torque tight. And that's it. Repeat process until complete.

image.jpg  
Rustybolts is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.