Should I be worried? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-27-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
rhiannon1980
2015 JK Wrangler 

Should I be worried?

Looking for advice on how to handle the current situation with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Less than 2 years old, and just had the shocks replaced and the axle seals were leaking oil. All is fixed now, and thankfully still under warranty. However, is this something that happens often with jeeps? Is this an easy fix, or should I be very concerned? Hardly has 30K miles on it, and in my past life, I've never replaced shocks, and definitely haven't had axles leaking. With this being my first Wrangler, I was looking for feedback on how severe this? Should I be concerned? Should I get out of this jeep now vs. later? Any feedback or experience from others is welcome Thanks guys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 AM
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is not the norm for the seals and shocks to go that quickly so I would not be as worried as you are, just take a deep breath and relax.
Anything made by man can fail but shocks and seals usually last a lot longer than that. Time to go out and have some fun!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
post #3 of 6 Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would question the facts. what was wrong with the shocks? did you see them leaking, jeep did what?? The seals rear? did you see oil leaking down the wheels? or same if front.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2016, 11:00 PM
beepinJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Surprised to hear those kind of issues this early, sometimes some bad components pass through inspections.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Airstreamer67
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 2003 TJ has the original shocks and axle seals except I went ahead and put new seals on the front when I installed an Aussie locker in that differential. They weren't leaking, but it was a cheap and easy thing to do while it was apart.

I use the Jeep almost exclusively for hunting, so only have about 55,000 miles on it presently. But many of those miles have been offroad in the mud and muck that comes with the great outdoors.

I've found the Jeep to require no more maintenance or repairs than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2016, 02:17 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Remember that a failure of one component has no connection to failure of other components down the road. But just because your axle had a leak problem doesn't mean anything else is likely to prematurely fail... it's all just statistical distribution.

It's not uncommon for vehicles to have a couple of problems over the first couple years that were not obvious when they left the factory... that's what the warranty is good for. By the time the warranty is up, it's a reasonable bet any hidden issues would have already been found

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.