Shopping for opinions (roll bar add on) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Shopping for opinions (roll bar add on)

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 09-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Shopping for opinions (roll bar add on)

I bought the kit in the link below, I like.

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-9764...-shipping.html

Trying to make this as condensed as possible.

A friend is working on my Jeep, I have the kit linked above with a sport bar to add it onto. That will be my cage. Just need it to handle one rollover/flop on the trail, that's all. Not looking for a competition buggy cage... yet.

He's pushing for getting rid of the stock roll bar and making a new roll bar for the back half, and tie it all into the frame. Add on kit from ECF was about $300, sport bar was $25 on craigslist. Not utilizing the sport bar will cost another $300.

So, what is the opinions of others? Would you:

A: Keep all the materials currently on hand and build a cage with it.

B: Drop $300 on new tubing for the back half of the cage.

C: Bacon cage

EDIT: For anybody who didn't get it fully, option A would mean taking the ECF kit I bought and using it in conjunction with the sport bar I bought.

Option B would be using the ECF kit with a completely custom roll bar.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Since, the ECF set up doesn't appear to be DOM, but the same steel the OEM sport bar is, I wouldn't weld a new center hoop in. Unless, you were to scrap the whole thing and build it all out of DOM.

A few years ago I did the ORF bolt in front half. It works well enough. Like you said, I want to walk away from a roll.

As I've grown as a driver and the Jeep has grown, I am really considering selling it and pulling the OEM sport bar. I really want to go with a whole DOM cage for increased safety.

Where do you wheel and how hard?
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
I bought the kit in the link below, I like. http://extremecustomparts.com/i-9764...-shipping.html Trying to make this as condensed as possible. A friend is working on my Jeep, I have the kit linked above with a sport bar to add it onto. That will be my cage. Just need it to handle one rollover/flop on the trail, that's all. Not looking for a competition buggy cage... yet. He's pushing for getting rid of the stock roll bar and making a new roll bar for the back half, and tie it all into the frame. Add on kit from ECF was about $300, sport bar was $25 on craigslist. Not utilizing the sport bar will cost another $300. So, what is the opinions of others? Would you: A: Keep all the materials currently on hand and build a cage with it. B: Drop $300 on new tubing for the back half of the cage. C: Bacon cage EDIT: For anybody who didn't get it fully, option A would mean taking the ECF kit I bought and using it in conjunction with the sport bar I bought. Option B would be using the ECF kit with a completely custom roll bar.
Buy a full dom cage from Genright or Poison spyder. Poison spyder sells a fully welded cage for right under 2k. I am planning on buying it for the smurf
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wheel in the desert, the type of wheelin I do is 40% rocks, 60% high speed on the sand. When I'm in the rocks, I hammer on it pretty good, but certainly not doing a burnout all the way through.

I was thinking it'd be kinda point less to tie that roll cage into the frame since it isn't DOM tubing. Doing all that work when eventually, someday that cage will be swapped out when I go 37s seems pointless. Which he also wanted me to go 14 bolt rear 60 front. That ain't gonna happen for a while.

I've noticed that some people create mounts that tie into the frame, and have steel mounting plates that hug the floorboard, the the roll cage bolts on top of that. So basically it is tied into the frame. Hard to explain.

As far as the PSC and Genright cages? I like the Genright fastback, I won't have any passengers in the rear after deciding it's too much of a hassle worrying about another person back there. I prefer the profile of the stock roll bar personally, fastback style cages are something I'd have to get used to.

Still not enough power.
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so two opinions... fantastic.

Still not enough power.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.