Shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Shifting

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Shifting

I'm a new Jeep owner.
I'd like to get some good advice on shifting, as silly as that may sound.

I have a green bar on tacometer that is solid from 0 to 2000, dotted from 2000 to 2500 and absent after that. Obviously the red zone is bad so I've no questions about that.

1: So when is the optional time to shift?
2: What is the sweet spot (RPMS) to ride at?

For example, is riding at 25mph in 2nd gear at 3,000 RPMS less desirable than dropping into 3rd and subsequently dropping the RPMS down to 2,000?

If you were riding down the highway at any given speed for an hour what RPM would you try to maintain?

I know those are noob questions but I don't want to assume I know anything about the vehicle or how to drive it. I'd like some good advice.

MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

depends a bit on the year and motor.

The new 3.6 has bit more legs and lungs. so it can live at higher rpms and be happy.

but i would not run it over 3k all day as well. the green zone is the GREEN zone. people are planting trees and the earth grows cooler, i can even hear people singing "Kumbaya". With flowers in their hair on the campus of berkeley. From here in AZ...........
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think those are pretty low RPMs, are they not?
Is that because it's a rock crawler?
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The green zone is the efficient zone.

Drive in whatever gear you feel like. I personally drive in the highest gear possible, without bogging the engine down too far (2000rpm range usually). Gives the best fuel economy. Reving to 3500 or whatever is fine.

Keep in mind there is no exact science.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.