Shackle Lift or Lift Springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Shackle Lift or Lift Springs

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Shackle Lift or Lift Springs

anyone have any suggestions or had experience with using shackles verses lift springs? any opinions?

g8ter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, a spring lift should be the core of the lift. Shackle and body lifts should be supplemental, but lesser.

Lift springs can provide a better ride than stock, provided you get quality springs. Shackle lifts won't improve the ride, and if too tall could adversely affect caster and thus handling. General rule of thumb - keep shackle lifts 1" or under.

Taller shackle lifts like the 1.25" lift I used to have just look odd and disproportional. Think "buck-toothed beaver".
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

I was given some what look to be 4" lift shackles and just look way to be way to much. I'd rather do a nice set of springs which I already had.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8ter55 View Post
I was given some what look to be 4" lift shackles and just look way to be way to much. I'd rather do a nice set of springs which I already had.
You do realize you only gain half the amount of lift with shackles. 4" really only equals 2" of lift.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

No I guess I didn't, I've never used lift shackles because they seem like a cheap way to go. The ones I have look to be at least 6" long. I have a set of tuff country ez ride springs that I'm going to use instead although they are only 2" lift. In going to use this cj as a daily driver so I don't want to go crazy with it.
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No I guess I didn't, I've never used lift shackles because they seem like a cheap way to go. The ones I have look to be at least 6" long. I have a set of tuff country ez ride springs that I'm going to use instead although they are only 2" lift. In going to use this cj as a daily driver so I don't want to go crazy with it.
Stock shackle length is 4". Every 1" longer than that nets you 1/2" of lift. I strongly advise you to keep your shackles to no more than 1/2" of lift. I know first hand how bad long shackles will make a Jeep ride; it will be insanely rough riding, the steering will be scary, and you'll end up with mad bump steer. Just don't do it.

With your 2" springs, a 1/2" shackle lift (5" long shackles), and a 1" body lift, you'll be able to comfortably run 33s with little other mods. Or if you're not scared of a grinder/sawzall, you can trim up your wheel wells and go bigger with less lift.

PM BESRK here on the boards for a set of boom shackles. His price is fantastic and he's a great guy.

You can get a 1" BL for around $100 bucks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Ok thanks for the help. I bought these 2.5 tuff country springs from someone used but they look brand new. Anyways I didn't get u-bolts with them. Anyone know the size of the u bolts needed? Are the fronts and rears the same size?
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You may be able to save your existing u-bolts, depending on how old, frozen, rusted, etc they are. If not, your local parts store will have a variety of u-bolts in stock. You can pull and compare mid-lift if you need to.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Yea that's what I was wondering. Will the stock ones work with the lift springs?
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea that's what I was wondering. Will the stock ones work with the lift springs?
I was able to reuse mine as the new leaf pack had the same number of springs as the old pack. Thankfully my YJ is a cream puff and the u-bolt nuts spun right off. Haven't been so lucky with other rigs I've worked on in the past.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Mine are not looking good, that's why I'm looking to get new ones. If I can get one off I'll try napa or a spring company to match it up. I tried looking on eBay for a set but couldn't find a complete set there either.
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
You may be able to save your existing u-bolts, depending on how old, frozen, rusted, etc they are. If not, your local parts store will have a variety of u-bolts in stock. You can pull and compare mid-lift if you need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I was able to reuse mine as the new leaf pack had the same number of springs as the old pack. Thankfully my YJ is a cream puff and the u-bolt nuts spun right off. Haven't been so lucky with other rigs I've worked on in the past.
Quote:
You're never supposed to reuse ubolts, regardless of their condition. I asked the same question when I did my lift and a ton of people chimed in with horror stories about what can/would/and has gone wrong when ubolts are reused.

Check quadratec. I used Rancho ubolts and I think they were something like $20-$30 a pack. Not a massive bank breaker by any means. Especially when you consider that the ubolts hold your axle and tires to your springs. Imagine breaking one and losing an axle at 65mph....

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
You're never supposed to reuse ubolts, regardless of their condition. I asked the same question when I did my lift and a ton of people chimed in with horror stories about what can/would/and has gone wrong when ubolts are reused.

Cheers

Cheers to you as well.

I did my lift 6 months ago and have driven it on trips in excess of 500 miles at a time as well as wheeled it as hard as my 31's will let me (designed sanity check on my part). I check my torque every month on my shackles and u-bolts because you never know what abuse can come from the trail. I also relube my entire undercarriage after each trip to ensure I don't have any water in my u-joints, ball joints, etc.

Now, with that said, there is no way I would have used the u-bolts on my last YJ. They had surface rust and didn't look like they'd hold up to the abuse they were about to see. This one on the other hand, the u-bolts were in perfect condition and the nuts are self locking so I have no real fear of them backing off.

Yes, u-bolt kits are cheap, and cheap insurance, but unless you know in advance how much longer you're going to need when you do your lift, I say buy 'em mid lift from a local parts store.

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Ok so I just measured the shackles as they are 8" long. I'm about to take this junk jeep to the scrapyard, should I bother taking these shackles off?
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just get some new boomerangs or stock shackles when you get your lift and use the old ones as pry bars. Lord knows they're long enough. LOL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.