Semi vs jku - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Semi vs jku

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
rhyno46
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hothead headliners, maybe?

rhyno46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think they make a cute windshield decal to cover THAT!
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
stevemoores
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you're OK.

I think the Jeep probably saved the life of the guy in the car in front as well. If the Semi had hit that, he would've rode right over the top.
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Glad you're ok and I think the Jeep and bumpers actually held up fairly well for a 45mph semi. What did insurance have to say? Did they cover the expense of the aftermarket items? Or will you at least be able to strip out what's still intact?

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
((Lo Lo))
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalman007 View Post
I'm wondering where you got the acoustic padding for jeep from? Was it just something that is made specifically for jeeps or did you use some ingenuity? I ask because I'm pretty tall and in addition to the sound dampening, I'd like the head protection as well.

cheers
I have BoomMat headliners on my JKU. They installed easily, and fit was great. They come in several colors. Definately saved my skull when my head impacted the Freedom top. They also insulate from extreme temps, and provide better acoustics inside. I did notice a difference.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...oject-1344302/
((Lo Lo)) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno46 View Post
Glad you are ok, and for a little venting I might add: WTF is wrong with semi drivers? I feel like they are getting worse and worse about paying attention or sometimes caring. Every time I drive from KC to St. Louis (or back) I feel like one of them tries to run me off the road.

Were the other drivers Ok, too?

That JK performed surprisingly well for a 45 mph impact. Do you know how heavy the semi was?
A few things to consider:

Trucks have a lot of surface area, guess what happens when crosswinds come out to play?

It is incredibly hard to keep trucks in proper alignment, think about it and you can figure out why. Then think about how hard it is to drive a vehicle that has it's alignment off. Hint: Most road conditions are terrible and tear up steering components.

Consider that trucks sometimes have bump steer, whether it be big or small.

Dips and grooves in the road will pull the wheels in whatever direction the dips and grooves are going. Couple that with the alignment being off and sidewinds... guess what happens?

Remember when driving alongside a truck at night, your headlights are literally blinding the driver. Literally. Notice how the side mirror is huge as ****? It's the same as pointing your headlights right in their face. Gtfo of the no zone, also... it's wise not to hang out on the left side of a truck anyway for other reasons.

Brake checking a truck is asking to be killed, some drivers won't even touch the brakes if you brake check them. Trucks don't stop quick anyway, and none of them are going to risk jack knifing when said brake checker caused the accident to begin with. FYI a lot of truckers out there have dash cams, just in case you want to brake check for whatever reason.

If a truck is passing another truck, and you're behind the truck passing in the left lane... do not cut to the right and pass the fast truck on the right, I'm sure you can guess that the right side is a huge blind spot. That's a surefire way to get a ticket as well. Keep in mind that depth perception doesn't exist with most mirrors, especially at night. So we can't always tell when our trailer is clear so we can merge back over. Hence why you see trucks dimming and flashing their lights at each other all the time. It's the "you're clear" signal.

Now factor in all these things in the course of 11 hours, plus other variables... and you can figure out what's going on. It's a truck that could weigh up to 80,000lbs+, not a car. Completely different vehicle that behaves completely different. Hence why you need a Class A license to drive one. I hope your question has been thoroughly answered. Consider these things in the future when driving around trucks. Don't believe me? Go get a CDL and hop in a truck.

To the OP, glad you're ok. Some drivers (truckers) out there have no common sense or just could be rookies... without common sense. If you're falling asleep at the wheel, pull over and power nap it. Otherwise this happens. Just be glad he wasn't going interstate speeds when he hit you. Guaranteed death.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What you say is true, however more and more, I see aggressive or speeding semi drivers. If there are only 2 lanes (both the same direction), trucks should not pass each other, unless there is absolutely no one behind them.

On a side note, wtf happened to our railroads?
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
What you say is true, however more and more, I see aggressive or speeding semi drivers. If there are only 2 lanes (both the same direction), trucks should not pass each other, unless there is absolutely no one behind them.

Oh that's what you meant...

Well that might be owner operators you see doing that, most companies govern their trucks. Big companies like England, Swift, Werner, Steven's Transport, and a couple others govern their rookie drivers at 62. Experienced company drivers are usually at 68. Insurance companies give huge discounts for that, plus it saves fuel. Complete assery if you ask me, sometimes you need to do a 75mph burst to stay awake and alleviate boredom.

Also note that around fall, a lot of owner operators get antsy trying to cram as much work in as possible because black Friday pretty much marks the end of the year for us. Our industry damn near stops in the winter months for a lot of us... no work until spring. During the warmer months though, the freight industry is in full swing. That might be why you're noticing more aggressive and faster driving. Plus there's a nice amount of disgruntled drivers out there on the road. You get screwed over a lot in trucking depending on how much you ***** at the dispatcher.

Keep in mind as well, there's a new generation of truckers coming into the industry. All the old timers who know the tricks of the trade, practice road courtesy, and have seen it all are leaving (more like being pushed out). A lot of young guys coming in who aren't being trained properly as well. Couple that with the points I made in my last post, you get **** like this, the OP being plowed. You should see what happens when two trucks collide. I feel bad for the co-driver in the sleeper when that happens. One minute you're sleeping, the next minute there's a loud noise, the sleeper opens up like a tuna can, and you go flying a couple hundred feet into the woods or wherever.

And whatever locomotive company it was, advertises 500 mile with one gallon of fuel. And people get a big dick about hybrids...

Still not enough power.
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post

Well that might be owner operators you see doing that, most companies govern their trucks. Big companies like England, Swift, Werner, Steven's Transport, and a couple others govern their rookie drivers at 62. Experienced company drivers are usually at 68. Insurance companies give huge discounts for that, plus it saves fuel. Complete assery if you ask me, sometimes you need to do a 75mph burst to stay awake and alleviate boredom.

Also note that around fall, a lot of owner operators get antsy trying to cram as much work in as possible because black Friday pretty much marks the end of the year for us. Our industry damn near stops in the winter months for a lot of us... no work until spring. During the warmer months though, the freight industry is in full swing. That might be why you're noticing more aggressive and faster driving. Plus there's a nice amount of disgruntled drivers out there on the road. You get screwed over a lot in trucking depending on how much you ***** at the dispatcher.

Keep in mind as well, there's a new generation of truckers coming into the industry. All the old timers who know the tricks of the trade, practice road courtesy, and have seen it all are leaving (more like being pushed out). A lot of young guys coming in who aren't being trained properly as well. Couple that with the points I made in my last post, you get **** like this, the OP being plowed. You should see what happens when two trucks collide. I feel bad for the co-driver in the sleeper when that happens. One minute you're sleeping, the next minute there's a loud noise, the sleeper opens up like a tuna can, and you go flying a couple hundred feet into the woods or wherever.

And whatever locomotive company it was, advertises 500 mile with one gallon of fuel. And people get a big dick about hybrids...

Still not enough power.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #25
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
Those are GE locomotives. More than one company uses them. And that number is to move 1 ton of freight, probably at cruising (highway) speed. I shudder to think how many megawatts it takes to get moving. Still the most efficient by far.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Those are GE locomotives. More than one company uses them. And that number is to move 1 ton of freight, probably at cruising (highway) speed. I shudder to think how many megawatts it takes to get moving. Still the most efficient by far.
With 43,000lbs in the trailer I'm averaging about 3mpg with a 300 gallon capacity. So a 900 mile range on a full tank with 43k and diesel being about 4 something a gallon... lol yup! Locomotives are more efficient.

Below 35,000 in the trailer I'm averaging about 5-6mpg. Anything below 25k is about 6-7mpg. And that's with a truck governed at 68.

Of course factor in variables like headwinds amd up/downhill spots and that's all subject to change.

Still not enough power.

Tags
accident , bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.