Semi vs jku - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Semi vs jku

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
((Lo Lo))
2013 JK Wrangler 

Semi vs jku

Yup, as the title says. You are about to see the carnage of my JKU vs a Semi tractor trailer from Tuesday night. This happened on my way home from work on I-40 in Albuquerque. Semi driver was sleeping, and decided to plow into me, which in turn caused me to take out 3 other vehicles while we were driving about 5 mph. Truck driver was doing about 45mph and didn't stop until after he made impact with my Jeeps rear. I walked away (actually transported by ambulance) with minor injuries. Jeeps are tough with the right equipment. Enjoy.

BEFORE:

AFTER THE ACCIDENT:

THE ACCIDENT SCENE:

As you can see from the pics, the Hanson Offroad bumpers took the hit, and saved my hide! The car in front of me was opened up like an aluminum can from my front bumper which only received some scratches. The rear bumper/tire carrier and spare tire, hi-lift jack absorbed most of the impact from the big rig. The force was great enough to shear off my driver and rear passenger seat brackets that hold the seats to the floor. This in turn caused my to hit the top of my head on the roof panel which I am thankful was covered with acoutic padding. The impact also broke the driveshafts, and chromoly control arms on my Rubicon Express long arm kit. The explosion like impact shook me up, but the Jeep held up, and I am alive to tell you all. By the way, I have a purchase order for a 2013 JKU Rubicon that I take delivery on this weekend! Hanson Offroad bumpers will be first on the list of upgrades...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...oject-1344302/
((Lo Lo)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

glad to hear you're okay. damn shame what happened to to your jeep, but atleast it kept you safe, just think if you had people in the back.
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
JK4doors
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow! Glad you're ok. A moment of silence for your JKU............. Amen.
Hope there were no serious injuries among all involved.
Good luck with the new ride!
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Damm thatís scary to say the least. Sure glad you came out ok, could have easily been killed. Are you sure you didnít just set all this up so you could get a new Jeep?

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
paul84043

Holy crap! Glad that you're still in one piece!
If you had been a smaller vehicle, the outcome could have been much worse!
Those pics are scary..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Your Jeep most likely saved your life. I bet they total it though. To bad, it was a fine looking JK
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The jeep can be replaced, you can't be.... Glad to see your ok.
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
rhyno46
2013 JK Wrangler 

Glad you are ok, and for a little venting I might add: WTF is wrong with semi drivers? I feel like they are getting worse and worse about paying attention or sometimes caring. Every time I drive from KC to St. Louis (or back) I feel like one of them tries to run me off the road.

Were the other drivers Ok, too?

That JK performed surprisingly well for a 45 mph impact. Do you know how heavy the semi was?
rhyno46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ouch! At least you are ok
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ya. Glad you're ok man. That was a nice Jeep. Hanson makes some nice stuff. Hanson front and rear bumpers are actually next on my list for the tj. Glad to see that they helped out.
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
((Lo Lo))
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the Jeep was totalled, frame is a pretzel.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...oject-1344302/
((Lo Lo)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow!! Glad you are still good to go!
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
PerformanceAuto

wow, thank god you're ok.
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

glad you all good man, you can always get another jeep. Yeah your jku looked damn good all murdered out.
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Arsenalman007
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((Lo Lo)) View Post
This in turn caused my to hit the top of my head on the roof panel which I am thankful was covered with acoutic padding.
Hey man, I am terribly sorry for what happened to your Jeep, especially for how sick it was! but at least you're okay.

I'm wondering where you got the acoustic padding for jeep from? Was it just something that is made specifically for jeeps or did you use some ingenuity? I ask because I'm pretty tall and in addition to the sound dampening, I'd like the head protection as well.

cheers
Arsenalman007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.